- Joined
- Nov 17, 2008
- Messages
- 174
hello again, dear community!
I have a DELL XPS410 (cerca Jan-2007) and I have just completed a strange half-build... the thing is, my 8800GTX "burned out" it seemed... now I bought a HIS Radeon 4890 and because this video card needs more than the stock DELL 375W PSU (and because I will use these components in the new build I'm planning in a bit), I bough a brand-spanking-new 910W continuous, 80mm fan, non-modular P&C PSU. now this mother is huge! with a capital H. the cables are huge and inside a net-like metallic casing. so - heh - the obvious problem arises - where do I put them? and another not-so-obvious problem - DELL's PSU's wires are tucked under everything (the fan/heatsink and mobo) making them impossible to take out. my idea? CUT the old PSU out with some sort of cutters. (and, of course, I checked the workability of the new PSU before I cut out the old one.) during this stage - the old one is not yet out, and the new one is already in, the comical stage of Frankenstein can be witnessed, hense the photo...
later, when everything booted up, I disconnected everything, cut out the old PSU and screwed in the new one. I had a dickens of a time getting the new one in (pardon the pun) as DELL isn't made to be upgradeable. but I finally screwed it in (pardon the damn pun please). now the cables hang out the open side panel and I have heating questions. shopping for a new case. -btw, will the antec 900 contain this moster or will I have the same problems and I should get the antec 1200?
p.s. I also bough a bigger HDD and the WD 640GB caviar black came w/o a box, manual(s), or SATA cable(s)... is this wrong? or is "black" meaning without packaging, like a tuner card I had - "white box"? because now I need to borrow my dad's SATA cable.
I have a DELL XPS410 (cerca Jan-2007) and I have just completed a strange half-build... the thing is, my 8800GTX "burned out" it seemed... now I bought a HIS Radeon 4890 and because this video card needs more than the stock DELL 375W PSU (and because I will use these components in the new build I'm planning in a bit), I bough a brand-spanking-new 910W continuous, 80mm fan, non-modular P&C PSU. now this mother is huge! with a capital H. the cables are huge and inside a net-like metallic casing. so - heh - the obvious problem arises - where do I put them? and another not-so-obvious problem - DELL's PSU's wires are tucked under everything (the fan/heatsink and mobo) making them impossible to take out. my idea? CUT the old PSU out with some sort of cutters. (and, of course, I checked the workability of the new PSU before I cut out the old one.) during this stage - the old one is not yet out, and the new one is already in, the comical stage of Frankenstein can be witnessed, hense the photo...
later, when everything booted up, I disconnected everything, cut out the old PSU and screwed in the new one. I had a dickens of a time getting the new one in (pardon the pun) as DELL isn't made to be upgradeable. but I finally screwed it in (pardon the damn pun please). now the cables hang out the open side panel and I have heating questions. shopping for a new case. -btw, will the antec 900 contain this moster or will I have the same problems and I should get the antec 1200?
p.s. I also bough a bigger HDD and the WD 640GB caviar black came w/o a box, manual(s), or SATA cable(s)... is this wrong? or is "black" meaning without packaging, like a tuner card I had - "white box"? because now I need to borrow my dad's SATA cable.











