Windows7 & HDD - preliminary report needed

Belze

Rookie
=(e)=
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
68
Sorry for the xxxx Windows7 Post, but i searched xx-forums and found nothing about it.


My one-and-only question about Windows7 :
hdd-access like xp? :P
or
is same terror as by vista :confused1:


At this time i use Ultimate64 and i am very annoyed from it`s
permanent hdd-access. :cursing:


P.S. yes i have deaktivated the prefetching/superfetching/index/search etc.
 
I know I'm not helping in any way here... What exactly do you mean? I guess maybe I am not fully aware of how XP's HDD access and Vista's Differ...


If there is a difference what exactly is the problem?

all those Fetches are designed to reduce the time it takes to open a program... which are usually recommended to be disabled when running an SSD I know...
 
If you are talking about Vista keeping your drive platters spinning 24/7 I can tell you that Windows 7 will put your drive into sleep mode until needed. I keep alot of files on a second drive and I do hear when it is 'woken up' by Windows 7.
 
ya you really need to clarify on your post there like entens said seven will put a unused disk to sleep depending on your power-save settings and aside from that i believe all 3 of them XP, Vista, Seven all use NTFS for a file system so all access data the same way.
 
*** what i mean is the permanent hdd-access of vista. If you have enough memory in an xp system, your hdd will be quit.

e.g.
  • *on xp*
  • - If i do nothing, my hdd does nothing (except i got a virus...).
  • *on vista*
  • - If i do nothing, my hdd does something that i dont need&want

i think entens gave the answer thx@all
 
Last edited:
er... vista has a power down for hdds too... you just have to enable it.

But... superfetch on win7 isnt as stupid as vista's is. I have it enabled and I dont hear my hdd thrashing like vista's did
 
My hard drive fell asleep on me when I used vista >.>
Made a loud noise when I woke it back up
Lazy bugger...
 
My hard drive fell asleep on me when I used vista >.>
Made a loud noise when I woke it back up
Lazy bugger...

Yeah, before you use Vista, I recommend you tweak power options. Even on "Performance" mode it will shut off hard drives after a certain number of hours and also put your system into hibernation. I'm not running a laptop, Vista shouldn't act like I do.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top