Vista 64-Bit Torrenting and MSN problems.

Swiss

Rookie
=(e)=
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
70
Hello, I recently bought a computer with Windows Vista 64 bits. I am having problems with both Utorrent and MSN Messenger. Msn will for some reason take about 5-10 minutes to let me in as will any other chatting applications I download. Utorrent will not allow me to download at any faster speed than 20-30 kB/s. Normally on my XP desktop I can download at 90-110 kB/s. Anybody know the problem? Ive port forwarded and did all the other standard torrenting fixes with no luck.
 
For Utorrent, check the bottom of the window to see what icon shows up. There could be a red stop sign, yellow exclamation point, or green check mark. Those symbols indicate whether you are set up properly to torrent. I think their meaning is self-explanatory. If that is all-clear, could be a problem with the way the internet connection is set up in Windows, like a firewall issue.
 
The little symbol is a green circle with a check mark. Windows firewall is off. Norton's firewall is also off.
 
Check Data Execution Prevention. Sometimes It'll block programs from running because It's afraid your computer will be compromised.
 
Try disabling NAT in your router temporaraly and see if that fixes your problem.
 
Try setting your computer's IP as the default DMZ server and disabling the SPI firewall on your router.
 
hmmm i use vista home premium and i use windows live messanger and uttorent like 24/7 and i dont have problems the only thing i could think of is your downloadong something from far away i usual only have the between 16-140kb/s
 
hmmm i use vista home premium and i use windows live messanger and uttorent like 24/7 and i dont have problems the only thing i could think of is your downloadong something from far away i usual only have the between 16-140kb/s

Do you also have it at 64 bits?
 
I have Windows 7 x64 and I can torrent smoothly. Depends what you are trying to download, how many seeds and leechers it has. Also, different sites have different speeds, could you give some more info on the actual torrents you are downloading or is it like this for all of them.
 
I have Windows 7 x64 and I can torrent smoothly. Depends what you are trying to download, how many seeds and leechers it has. Also, different sites have different speeds, could you give some more info on the actual torrents you are downloading or is it like this for all of them.

I think it might be best to avoid information on the actual torrent, *even though we're using legal torrents here, right?* but instead he should provide the seeds/peers ratio for further help, as that's usually the problem. High seed counts doesn't guarantee a fast download, the amount of peers/leechers factors into it greatly.
 
I think it might be best to avoid information on the actual torrent, *even though we're using legal torrents here, right?* but instead he should provide the seeds/peers ratio for further help, as that's usually the problem. High seed counts doesn't guarantee a fast download, the amount of peers/leechers factors into it greatly.

and the isp some isp's throtle p2p traffic.
 
That too, whether or not it's legal, many ISP's take it upon themselves to throttle your connection because they think that any P2P traffic MUST be illegal activity.

kinda most of them throttle because they oversell there services thinking that most people wont use all of the bandwidth that they buy and there using p2p traffic as a scapegoat for this. there really should be laws around that it's really messing up net neutrality.
 
Nat is disabled... :(

Are you trying a different torrent? Some torrent are better seeded, and other are not. Try running a speedtest online and see what you get compared to XP. If there is no difference then you need to post your problem on the Utorrent forums.
 
Back
Top