Video Streaming?

Cosmo X

Poster
=(e)=
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
201
Ok so I have a wedding coming up next month and a couple of relatives are unable to make it. Now I'm looking to stream part of the wedding live.

Now I do not have any idea how to do this... By that I mean what should I be looking for as for programs, bandwidth, and anything else technical that I might need to look into.

I have a video camera, mics, and a laptop already. The only major problem that I have so far is an internet connection. Would a verizon wireless usb device be enough to stream the video or not. I have a brother that works for them and says it should work just fine... but I have my doubts.

I figured I would turn to the community that has more brains then knows what to do with them and ask. Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
 
The main issue with bandwidth will be your upload speed. Home cable/DSL connections aren't too good for high quality streaming to multiple people as it requires pretty high bandwidth for one stream.

Is the laptop a Mac or a PC? I've used Quicktime Broadcaster (free for Mac) to create streams then send them to QuickTime Streaming Server aka QTSS (Darwin Streaming Server in the Windows and Linux world, all of which are free). QTSS then multicasts the feed to other users which saves on bandwidth on the home end.

On a quick Google search I found that Wirecast will work for PC, but it's crazy expensive. It does however come with a free trial, but I didn't see what the restrictions were on their site. You may be able to use the demo with the sites they reference (Limelight, Justin.tv, livestream.tv and ustream.tv to use as ways to upload the video. I have never used any of these providers, but at a quick glance they look promising for what you want to do.

Everything I did in the past was with streaming on a corporate network where bandwidth wasn't an issue which made QuickTime Broadcaster and QuickTime Streaming Server an ideal solution for us.

Hope this helps.
 
Back
Top