Windows 7 and TF2

Retribution

Thread Junky
Hello helpful eGOers,
So a while back I got Windows 7, downloaded it, and immediately got TF2 back on my computer -- but to my horror, TF2 was so laggy, it was unplayable. I googled the problem, asked my brother (he has a bachelor's in Computer Science) and also talked to some people individually about the problem and have done what they said, which was mostly to just change the TF2 frame rates and other things that I don't understand and can't quite remember. And that worked for 2 or 3 days, then it just went back to where it was. Depressed, I gave up and started searching for other games to play. I dabbled here and there, tried an RPG or two (not as exciting as shooting people) and a few RTS games but it just wasn't the same. I'm re-energized with the summer and I want people to die at my hand again.

Questions:
Do any of you think that if I got another GB of RAM I'd be able to run it easily?
Do I just need to scrap Windows 7 if I'm ever going to play again?
Are there any more frame rate doohickies I could try?
Will I ever get to kill Scrappy again?

Hmm, how much RAM do you have now? If its under 1gb then you DEFINITELY need to get more, especially if its w7 and tf2 put together.

Try re-installing see what that does.

I have either 1.3 GB RAM and 1.5 GB RAM, pretty sure it is the latter.

How do I install drivers?

How do I get my system specs?

All of you answered respectively.

Easiest thing to do is to go here: http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/

Pull up TF2 as the game & let the cookie check your computer stats. It will tell you your computer stats & what you need to upgrade. Also, just a lil fyi, theres no such thing as 1.3gb. More than likely you misread it, which is understandable. It is highly suggested that you upgrade your memory tho. It also depends on what your video card is as well. Feel free to post the info that you get. We can help you further.

<.< >.> Reasons I'm not going into computer science...

Did what you said with the site and I got a question mark...

From the website it said my system had:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
2.45 GHz Performance Rated at: 4.41 GHz
GeForce 6800
No idea what these are, but here they are anyway:
Video RAM ----632.0 MB
3D-Yes
Pixel Shader version -----3.0
SB Live! 24-bit (sound card)
108.8 GB (space)
1.5 GB RAM

hope that's helpful in some way.

Also it says I passed everything except: I have a question mark for this.
OS
You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic Edition (build 7600), 64-bit

And says this:

Unfortunately Windows 7 was not available when this product was released, so it is not OFFICIALLY supported. In some cases if the product runs on Windows Vista, it may also run on Windows 7. Please review the publisher’s website for more information.

edited for update.

Last edited:
Single Core, Nvidia 6800, and 1.5gb. There's 3 problems there. However you should be able to play on low or medium-low settings.

Update your drivers, Windows can do it for you or you can do it manually.

So I mean its 3 factors that are hurting your FPS, but I remember playing DoDS on a similar system 4 years back on medium, so TF2 should play on low.

I got it from here guys.
Honestly, to get a real performance boost, you'd need to buy/build a new computer.

But to answer your questions,
To update your drivers, go to (only since you have an nvidia card) www.nvidia.com and go to the "Download Drivers" section after you pick your language. After that, just fill in the proper info and it will get it for you.
Yes, you do need more ram. Less than 3GB of ram (for i7 1366 builds) will suffer due to lack of memory.
Yes, you could, but it would be more hassle than it's worth since you'd have to buy a new processor, probably update the BIOS, and get new TIM, etc.

And if you say you were able to play when you had XP installed, maybe you should go back. XP will use less RAM and leave more available for TF2.

So basically what you (Phobus) are saying is that to get the full measure of what I want to do, my computer is out of date and I need a new one.

functioning F(x)ing asymptote....

Pretty much. Your computer is very dated.
Getting more ram could help, but I think it would be very expensive and not worth it.

Another thing is you are running the 64bit version with only 1.5gb of ram, if you can download the 32bit version it may work a lot better. 64bit uses more memory due to the memory registers available to it.

Another thing is you are running the 64bit version with only 1.5gb of ram, if you can download the 32bit version it may work a lot better. 64bit uses more memory due to the memory registers available to it.

That's not true.
64-bit allows for more memory.
You should always pick 64-bit over 32-bit.

Are you comfortable with building a PC out of parts? That's the way to go if you really want to save money and get great quality hardware.

Mind if i butt in Phobus? Of course not lol... From what our friend has said, i would guess his computer building skills would be not enough to comfortably build a system from the ground up. However, if your upto it we would all be happy to get you building. Let us know what you decide.

price ranges for building computers?
Money isn't really tight atm but I don't want to drop like 1500 bucks on this thing.
I just want it to do my work and play some games, nothing really major.
dbee is right, I wouldn't know the first thing about building a PC.

Mind if i butt in Phobus? Of course not lol... From what our friend has said, i would guess his computer building skills would be not enough to comfortably build a system from the ground up. However, if your upto it we would all be happy to get you building. Let us know what you decide.

That's what a guide is for.

price ranges for building computers?
Money isn't really tight atm but I don't want to drop like 1500 bucks on this thing.
I just want it to do my work and play some games, nothing really major.
dbee is right, I wouldn't know the first thing about building a PC.

Would you be willing to build if you read a complete guide that told you how step-by-step?

And a good price for a great build is 1000-1200.
If you build it, you will save over a pre-built and have higher quality parts.

Back