Engineer Achievement Discussion

=[Ga]= AutoDMC

EGO Addict
Over a year ago, some intrepid Engineers speculated over future achievements for an Engie pack. Now we know what the achievements LOOK LIKE, and what they were NAMED, so I'd like to compare our brainstorm to the actual achievements.

(Real achievements: http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/achievements/)

Homeowner's Insurance: Kill 10 spies with your wrench while they have sappers on one or more of your buildings. (Betcha a wheat penny this one will be in the engi pack, differently named though).

Dr. Engineer: Heal 2,500 health with your dispenser in one life.

Yippee Keeyai Kyo!: Dominate a spy (2 spies, 3 spies, whatever) with only kills from your sentry gun.

I Told You Not To Touch That Darned Thing: Kill an enemy by teleporting through your own teleporter.

We Don't Need No Stinking Heavies: Have your sentry gun fire 1,000 (or 2,000 or whatever) rounds without rebuilding it.

Anything you can do...: Kill a soldier with the rocket attack from your level 3 sentry gun.

Mass Transit: Get 100 teleports in a single round.

It's Not Easy Being Green: Build all your structures to level 3 and never rebuild them in that round. Additionally, your teleporter must get 10 uses, your sentry 3 kills, and your dispenser must heal 500 HP.

Level 1/2 Sentry: Have a heavy continuously fire for 60 seconds while also continuously using your dispenser.

Like Fish In A Barrel: Kill 3 scouts within the first minute of a round on 2fort.

Counterterrorism: Destroy 25 stickybombs within 5 meters of one of your or a friendly engineer's structures.

Master Architect: Build 100 sentries, 100 dispensers, 100 teleporter entrances and 100 teleporter exits. (100, 200, 500, whatever)

Some more Engineer Achievement Brainstorms:

Remember the Alamo: Defend the final cap of a CP map at least once... and still lose.

The 12th Man: Get teamswitched, and then help your new team win. (Named in honor of the Texas A&M Tradition)

Need a dispenser here!: Build 25 dispensers after a teammate requests one.

Get along little doggies!: Transport 50 teammates in a single round.

Superconducting Supercollider: Disable 50 buildings with your EMP gun (Assuming this is an unlock... I like this idea. Named in honor of the unfinished particle accelerator in Waxahache)

Hoedown: Dance 25 times with another Engineer after constructing all your buildables.

Credit to Team!: 1000 total teleports.

The Eyes of Texas: Get MVP 5 times. (University of Texas song; encourages students to achieve.)

Texans Always Move Them: Destroy and rebuild 25 buildings within two minutes of destruction. (Moving your equipment forward or back. Quote attributed to General Lee when a Texas brigade lead a charge while the rest of the army retreated.)

Red River Shootout: Kill 25 enemies with the pistol. (Name of the Rivalry game between the University of Texas Lonhorns and the University of Oklahoma Sooners, up to 2005)

Houston, we have a problem: Destroy 100 sappers.

Battle of San Jacinto: Win a 5 CP round in under 18 minutes. (Named in honor of the decisive Battle of San Jacinto, which lasted less than 18 minutes.)

The Six Flags of Texas: Capture the Intelligence 6 times. (Reference of the 6 flags which have been the soverign flags of the Texas region: France, Spain, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the Confederate States of America, and the United States of America)

Who Shot J.R.?: Kill a spy firing his pistol at you.

Grassy Knoll: Kill a sniper within 30 seconds of that sniper killing a teammate. (Might be a little too ... insensitive? Reference to the JFK assasination, and the killing of Lee Harvey Oswald. Then again, we've got "Show Trial" and "Purge"...)

Lone Star: Be the only Engineer when your team is victorious.

Cattle Drive: Assist your team in 100 payload map caps. (By this, I mean 100 caps while you are on the team, as it's a rare Engineer who can actually be standing on the cart.)

Don't Mess With Texas: Dominate 15 people with your sentry gun.

The Wrench is Mightier Than the Sword: Wrench 20 people to death.

King of Concessions: Provide 500 ammo recharges with dispensers.

Much Obliged: Assist in building 25 buildings which are not your own.

RTFM: Take 500 combined damage from your own sentry gun.

I Built That: Build 100 buildings.

Fire Suppression System: Put out 15 fires with your dispenser.

Percussive Maintenance: Whack buildings 1000 times. (Named in honor of Dr. Who, John Pertwee, and his "Percussive Maintenance" of the TARDIS)

Crossfire: Kill 5 disguised spies with your sentry gun when it locks onto somebody else.

Improper Maintenance Procedures: Destroy 15 enemy buildings with your wrench.

RTFM 2: Kill 10 spies who drop their costume or decloak without a costume within range of your sentry gun.

Anti-Spyware: Alternate name for "Destroy 100 sappers."

Apprentice Engineer: Use 25,000 metal to build buildings.

Assistant Engineer: Use 50,000 metal to build buildings.

Chief Engineer: Use 100,000 metal to build buildings.

I still want "Remember the Alamo" and "RTFM."

So what do you think? How close were we? And which of these should we spam Robin for in an update update?

My guesses are:

Battle Rustler - Servo's "Mass Transit"

Search Engine - My "Anti-Spyware" or "Cross Fire" and/or Servo's "Homeowner's Insurance"

Quick Draw - Servo's "Homewoner's Insurance"

The Extinguished Gentleman - My "Fire Supression System"

Doc Holiday - Servo's "Dr. Engineer"

Texas Ranger - My "Six Flags of Texas"

Deputized - My "Much Obliged"

(Not So) Lonely are the Brave - Servo's "Level 1/2 Sentry"

...and might I say I'm embarrassed that I didn't come up with a "Texas Rangers"?

Last edited:
Alright... here's my take on everything, from the ground up, without looking at any of your achievements.

Doc Holiday: On a team with no medic, build a dispenser and heal 1000 health

No Man's Land: Defend 25 control points.

Trade Secrets: Using the Wrangler, kill someone who has your intelligence.

Death Metal: Pick up 10,000 pieces of metal from weapons and dead buildings.

Land Grab: Kill someone holding a golden wrench with your own wrench (potentially, like the ghastly gibus grab, awarding the killer a wrench).

Git Along!: Relocate a sentry that has just had a sapper on it.

How the Pests was Gunned: Kill a demoman with the wrangler who had laid more that 3 sticky bombs near your gun.

Honky Tonk Man: Use the guitar in some way (either a kill taunt, or if it's actually a weapon, whatever it does)

Breaking Morant: Using the wrangler, Kill 10 snipers from outside of the sentry's range.

Rio Grind: Kill 50 people with the wrangler.

Patent protection: Active the wrangler shield moments before your sentry would have taken fatal damage (much like the medic's triage achievement).

If You Build It, They Will Die: Repel an uber pair with the Wrangler.

Texas Ranger: Relocate your sentry (with perhaps more specifications).

Deputized: Heal another engineer's sentry while it's under fire.

Drugstore Cowboy: Relocate your dispenser to the other team's side of the map.

Circle the Wagons: Kill a heavy with your wrench.

Built to last: Build a sentry/dispenser that lasts for more than 10 minutes.

(Not So) Lonely are the Brave: Have a heavy constantly resupply at your dispenser while he kills at least 5 people.

Battle Rustler: Teleport 100 players.

Revengineering: Get revenge on someone with the frontier justice.

Search engine: Use the wrangler to kill a disguised spy.

Pownd on the Range: Kill someone from outside of the sentry's traditional range, using the wrangler.

Building Block: Absorb more than x damage with the Wrangler's shield.

Unforgiven: Dominate someone who killed one of your sentries with the Frontier Justice.

Quick Draw: Kill 10 spies who have sappers on your gun, within 1 second of them placing it.

The Wrench Connection: wrench a spy disguised as you.

Silent Pardner: Relocate your sentry 50 times (presumably making it quiet?).

Fistful of Sappers: Destroy 10 sappers on your buildings in less than 1 minute.

Doc, Stock and Barrel: Have a medic heal you while your sentry is taking damage.

Best Little Slaughterhouse in Texas: Kill 5 people with a single level 1 sentry gun.

Frontier Justice: Kill x spies with the Frontier Justice.

Six String Stinger: Provide your enemy with a screenshot of you playing the guitar.

Uncivil engineer: Provide your enemy with a screenshot of your sentry gun.

Texas Two-Step: Finish off an enemy that was damaged by your sentry with your shotgun.

The Extinguished Gentleman: Extinguish x players with your dispenser.

Warning Warning thread derail alert

Prolly not the best place to ask but... do you guys think the trading system might come out?

Warning Warning thread derail alert

Prolly not the best place to ask but... do you guys think the trading system might come out?
Wait to ruin a perfectly clean thread body! :(

I can't wait to find out what the requirements are fro the achievements. I hope they do it so you need to work at them to unlock weapons!

Because I'm nothing if not an egotist, and I have a good 15 minutes before I get to play tf2 with the updates and such... I'm going to score myself.

Scoring method:
  • Completely wrong: 0
  • Sorta right: .5
  • Correct (including the right action, but the wrong number of times): 1
  • Correct, including correct numbers: 1.5
  • Correct, including exactly the same wording: 5

Alright... here's my take on everything, from the ground up, without looking at any of your achievements.

Doc Holiday: On a team with no medic, build a dispenser and heal 1000 health Wrong - 0

No Man's Land: Defend 25 control points. Sorta Right - 0.5

Trade Secrets: Using the Wrangler, kill someone who has your intelligence. Sorta Right - 0.5

Death Metal: Pick up 10,000 pieces of metal from weapons and dead buildings. Correct with number - 1.5

Land Grab: Kill someone holding a golden wrench with your own wrench (potentially, like the ghastly gibus grab, awarding the killer a wrench). Wrong - 0

Git Along!: Relocate a sentry that has just had a sapper on it. Wrong - 0

How the Pests was Gunned: Kill a demoman with the wrangler who had laid more that 3 sticky bombs near your gun. Wrong - 0

Honky Tonk Man: Use the guitar in some way (either a kill taunt, or if it's actually a weapon, whatever it does) Sorta Right - 0.5

Breaking Morant: Using the wrangler, Kill 10 snipers from outside of the sentry's range. Sorta Right - 0.5

Rio Grind: Kill 50 people with the wrangler. Wrong - 0

Patent protection: Active the wrangler shield moments before your sentry would have taken fatal damage (much like the medic's triage achievement). Wrong - 0

If You Build It, They Will Die: Repel an uber pair with the Wrangler. Wrong - 0

Texas Ranger: Relocate your sentry (with perhaps more specifications). Sorta Right - 0.5
Deputized: Heal another engineer's sentry while it's under fire. Wrong - 0

Drugstore Cowboy: Relocate your dispenser to the other team's side of the map. Wrong - 0

Circle the Wagons: Kill a heavy with your wrench. Wrong - 0

Built to last: Build a sentry/dispenser that lasts for more than 10 minutes. Wrong - 0

(Not So) Lonely are the Brave: Have a heavy constantly resupply at your dispenser while he kills at least 5 people. Correct with number - 1.5

Battle Rustler: Teleport 100 players. Correct with number - 1.5

Revengineering: Get revenge on someone with the frontier justice. Sorta Right - 0.5

Search engine: Use the wrangler to kill a disguised spy. Sorta Right - 0.5

Pownd on the Range: Kill someone from outside of the sentry's traditional range, using the wrangler. Correct = 1

Building Block: Absorb more than x damage with the Wrangler's shield. Correct = 1

Unforgiven: Dominate someone who killed one of your sentries with the Frontier Justice. Wrong - 0

Quick Draw: Kill 10 spies who have sappers on your gun, within 1 second of them placing it. Wrong - 0

The Wrench Connection: wrench a spy disguised as you. Correct = 1 (over quantified, but that's ok)

Silent Pardner: Relocate your sentry 50 times (presumably making it quiet?). Wrong - 0

Fistful of Sappers: Destroy 10 sappers on your buildings in less than 1 minute. Wrong - 0

Doc, Stock and Barrel: Have a medic heal you while your sentry is taking damage. Correct = 1

Best Little Slaughterhouse in Texas: Kill 5 people with a single level 1 sentry gun. Wrong - 0

Frontier Justice: Kill x spies with the Frontier Justice. Wrong - 0

Six String Stinger: Provide your enemy with a screenshot of you playing the guitar. Correct = 1

Uncivil engineer: Provide your enemy with a screenshot of your sentry gun. Sorta Right - 0.5

Texas Two-Step: Finish off an enemy that was damaged by your sentry with your shotgun. Correct = 1

The Extinguished Gentleman: Extinguish x players with your dispenser. Correct = 1

Total: 15.5 out of a potential 35 (not counting bonuses).

Oh well. that's a fail. I'm not paid to predict things, I'm paid to kick ass with the engie, and that's what I'll be doing for the next FOREVER. :D

Last edited:
Thoughts about the achievements:

Doc Holiday: Heal 3 teammates at the same time.
Land Grab: Help a teammember build a building

Aren't these achievements pretty low ball? If you aren't helping teammates with dispensers or buildings then you should be playing spy or another loner class.

Death Metal: 10,000 pieces of waste material
Silent Pardner: Assist in building 50 buildings of others.
Fistfull of Sappers: Destroy 25 sappers for somebody else.
Rio Grind: Perform 50 repairs or reloads on a sentry being Wrangled by another Engie.
Texas Ranger: Haul buildings 1 kilo.
Drugstore Cowboy: Dispense 100,000 health.
Circle the Wagons: Repair 50,000 damage to other players.

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. These were the long-term achievements I wanted to see.

Uncivil Engineer: Killcam of you and your sentry.

I like this. Although I would have liked the achievement to have been "Killcam of you laughing and your sentry."

P0wned on the Range: Kill 10 enemies outside of normal sentry range.
If You build It, They Will Die: Haul a level 3 sentry gun.

Key infos to end some arguments here.

I wonder what the walking speed is while carrying the buildings? How long do they take to redeploy? And how much joy will I have seeing Engineers able to move their gear up in less than 2:30?

I think you're making some assumptions about the lowball achievements, auto.

Namely, that all engineers are competent. There have been times when I've played 2fort, where an engie has a level 3 totally set up and done, just sitting there tanking in the hay room, and I'm trying to put one up nearby, from scratch, and he doesn't move a muscle. Not all engineers play engineer WELL.

Also, there's gotta be some easy ones for quick access to weapons, and for quick gratification.

I agree that quite a few Engineers are tossers, but still. The entry level for those two are pretty low. I guess if you get the Land Grab achievement if you do more than a simple wrench hit I'll accept it :)

I am glad, though, that the bulk of the Engie Achievements are "Be an engineer helping others for a few days" not "I gave you a whack!"

Back