Help with removal of trojan.gen

Hello reader, I have the norton installed on my laptop. It is up to date and whatnot, in the past few days it has detected "trojan.gen" many times. It always removes them but it always finds them again when I run another scan later. I have pretty much no experience or knowledge on what to do in a situation such as this. So any help would be useful. Something to note is that there doesn't seem to be any changes in my laptop so I'm hoping it hasn't damaged it at all.

Thanks for any help :)

well, my experience with norton tells me to get rid of it. norton detect but doesn't remove (at lease on my pc). i now run mcfee, I hate it aswell. Its to heavy to run. its good against virusses and stuff. (i once had trojan, it just said: trojan has been found and put in quarantene. u do NOT have to take anymore action. or atleast something like that.). The best anti virus programs are found on the internet. I don't know any, I will take a look and post em here. I think that they are stickyd. not sure though. If the problem keeps showing up, take a backup, format your pc, scan your back before putting it back on your pc, and then put it on your hard drive. Hope this helps you with your problem.

grtz

The Slayer

The Win32 Trojan-Gen virus is a Trojan horse that is installed on your computer when you download an infected video codec or open an infected email attachment. The Trojan will install several new programs on your computer that cause pop-up advertisements to appear on your screen and even turn off your firewall. Because the Win32 Trojan-Gen infects so many areas of your computer and because it has characteristics both of a virus and a spyware program, the best way to remove it is to run both an anti-virus and an anti-malware utility.

Read more: How to Remove Win32: Trojan-Gen | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5076859_remove-win-trojangen.html#ixzz0tSXcCKhp

Check that out. :p

Eh, you don't really need to disable system restore and all that. Just start the computer in safe-mode (keep pressing F8 while rebooting), run a full scan, and delete anything it finds, no sense is quarantine or cleaning unless it's a legitimate file which it's not.

EDIT: If it's already quarantined, go into your quarantine and delete them there.

Last edited:
Eh, you don't really need to disable system restore and all that. Just start the computer in safe-mode (keep pressing F8 while rebooting), run a full scan, and delete anything it finds, no sense is quarantine or cleaning unless it's a legitimate file which it's not.

Yeah.
And don't jump to formatting just yet. Yeesh.

Thank you guys very much :) Norton found 3 "trojan.gen(s)" in my java folder and quarantined them, it hasn't found any since. I will delete all of the quarantined stuff and report back. My laptop took a little longer to boot up than useal, but I don't think it's related.

*edit* How would I go about removing them from quarantine? I know how to get there and everything but I don't see an option to remove or delete :/

Last edited:
Thank you guys very much :) Norton found 3 "trojan.gen(s)" in my java folder and quarantined them, it hasn't found any since. I will delete all of the quarantined stuff and report back. My laptop took a little longer to boot up than useal, but I don't think it's related.

*edit* How would I go about removing them from quarantine? I know how to get there and everything but I don't see an option to remove or delete :/

Right click on the file in Quarantine and you can do whatever you want to it. Also, those were not Trojans. I've seen that a bunch of times, that's actually the Java updater downloading files to prompt you to install a java update. They're called Trojan.Gen (which is short for Generic) because the code downloads something, but it's Generica and Symantec doesn't know what it is. If you go to java.sun.com and download the latest client version 6, update 20, you won't get anymore of those trojan notifications and you'll have the up-to-date Java version. All symantec definitions, even Endpoint Protection, flag the java downloader (occasinally) as a trojan.

Try avast, its a free antivirus and its pretty good.

Everytime i do a system scan my pc's bootup becomes really slow, it gets annoying sometimes.

Hmm don't know if this is related but I just got on my laptop and it is making a strange clicking noise followed by a single beep. It isn't constant but it happens at odd times. Is this something I should be worried about? Or is it normal and it's just me being paranoid? This sound isn't coming from the speakers, it sounds more like it is coming from inside the laptop.

*edit* Reports show all good :p Thanks for all the help guys :D

Last edited:
Back