Weird fps drop problems

lunat1c

Rookie
I have a 5770 1GB and when i play only cod4 and WaW i get weird fps drops. mw2 maxxed out fully i get 91fps constant. then tf2 maxxed out idk what but its smooth constantly. and then cod4 and WaW it iwll be 100 fps and then dip down and stay at like 40-60. Updated video drivers

Core 2 duo e6600 2.4 ghz
4 gigs ram
xfx 5770 1gb
500w psu

How long does the drop in fps last? Is it the same time everytime? Does it occur at even intervals?

A couple of things: disable any real-time virus scanning software or engine. Make sure your components aren't being throttled by too much heat build-up (seems unlikely if mw2 is maxed and running smoothly, but check anyway).

Open your task manager and when you notice an FPS drop in-game, alt+tab to the task manager and find out what process is using up CPU or memory. If nothing spikes, then it's probably your GPU which could be a driver issue (do a clean reinstall), a corrupted game-file (verify/reinstall), or heat, for instance.

I'm going to rule out PSU just because it's not consistent across different games (theory was your GPU undervolted or something). Check that out and let us know.

it only occurs in any type of action. or when i look at lets say a huge portion of the map at once. i mean it doesnt make sense though since mw2 its always smooth. i'll play a little then check the temps. desktop is at about 80 degrees F and my vid card idles at 45-47. ill go play and see what the temps are after about 10 minutes

That's vierd. (Yes, vierd. Read that vith a Hollander accent)
What are the temps in Celsius?
What drivers?
Any other programs doing anything on the side?
Have you scanned for any viruses lately?

That's vierd. (Yes, vierd. Read that vith a Hollander accent)
What are the temps in Celsius?
What drivers?
Any other programs doing anything on the side?
Have you scanned for any viruses lately?

gpu: 45 idle; 55-60 with 20 minutes of mw2 max 75% fan speed

Driver Packaging Version 8.741-100527a-100947C-ATI
Catalyst? Version 10.6
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1038
Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0761
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9901
Catalyst? Control Center Version 2010.0527.1242.20909

No other programs besides catalyst control.
yes scanned for viruses yesterday
i just this computer from my friend 2 days ago and i removed a bunch of adware and 1 trojan.

Removed a trojan? Did you remove it in Safe Mode?
Also, try reverting back to CCC 10.5, see if that does anything.
What anti-virus do you use?

Kaspersky Antivirus 10'
I havent tried in safemode..im about to go to work in an hour so ill have the scan run while im at work. I'll try converting to 10.5

Wipe and reload the machine. You'll never really know if you fully got rid of the malware. There could be a rootkit that hides itself expertly on your machine and you'd never know about it or what it did. I would start from scratch, especially being that you got it from a friend who contracted viruses, etc.

Wipe and reload the machine. You'll never really know if you fully got rid of the malware. There could be a rootkit that hides itself expertly on your machine and you'd never know about it or what it did. I would start from scratch, especially being that you got it from a friend who contracted viruses, etc.

When I get paid I am first buying a keyboard b/c this one is too sticky, then a new HDD and then a VALID copy of windows lol..he got a cracked version of
win 7 32bit

When I get paid I am first buying a keyboard b/c this one is too sticky, then a new HDD and then a VALID copy of windows lol..he got a cracked version of
win 7 32bit

or if i wanted to wipe it out all i need to do is just install a fresh copy of windows right???!?

... yeah I'm sure a cracked version isn't going to be the most reliable either, you may be gimping yourselves from updates, etc. So when you get the legit version, I would (from a personal or professional standpoint) load the legit cd, format the entire drive, install the OS fresh and start over. Make sure updates are being downloaded and applied from day 1, get or maintain a good antivirus and don't copy over any files until you've scanned them all. My strong opinion is that your issue will clear up after that.

i'll order a new os from new egg wed. or thurs. would you get xp sp3 or win 7 32 or 64 bit. all the same price of $100

Windows 7 64-bit.
Seriously? XP? This isn't 2003.

This is an interesting comment, especially since XP was used entirely by gamers until 2007, and since government and tech firms will probably be using it for another year or two until they make transitions to Win7.

But I concur, you should get Win7 64-bit, Professional version would be my choice

This is an interesting comment, especially since XP was used entirely by gamers until 2007, and since government and tech firms will probably be using it for another year or two until they make transitions to Win7.

But I concur, you should get Win7 64-bit, Professional version would be my choice

vista is terrible. xp there were NO PROBLEMS what so ever. and supposedly win7 is causing crashing problems involved with fraps and cod. but ill get win7

You could always turn off a few things.
You said when there is action right?
Turn off Soften smoke edges. It'll help.
Depth of field. should help a lil.

Back