Get ready; it's coming.

Dreadmaker

EGO Addict
Hey folks.

So, you might remember a while ago I published an engie guide. it was 29 pages long.

But there's an issue there. It's old now, and mostly, while a lot of the info is still good, it doesn't have anything about the new stuff. Plus, I think it needs to be said that it was butt-ugly. it got the info out there, and it had some pictures, but it wasn't pretty. Plus, 12-point times new roman is nice for academia and all, but it's sorta harsh on the eyes to be reading for long.

So, I'm in the process of making a V2. I've just started writing, and I'm on the 10th page. I'll give you a hint; it'll far exceed the other one in information packed length. I've got a number of new features planned, including an expansion on sentry placement strategy, specific coverage of using mini-sentries and offensive weaponry effectively, and a guide to getting all of the achievements, should you have any difficulty with them.

Now I know what you're thinking. You're like "That's great, but where is it? I want to read it now!" Well, the thing is, I have a whole whack of ideas to write about, but I'd like some input from YOU. The whole point of any instruction manual or reference guide is to answer people's questions; so what do you want answered?

I can't guarantee I'll include everything, but if I get some good support behind anything beyond what I've already said, I'll do my best to work it in.

Oh, and to prove I'm not kidding about upgrading the graphics and readability:

OLD:

old_engie_preview.jpg

NEW:

new_engie_preview.jpg

It should be done by the end of the week; Give me some thoughts :)

You're a great help to Engineers everywhere Dreadmaker. If you need any help(pictures, text, example SS's, etc.) I'm here for ya.

ill let you know when i find something interesting ingame ;) and if you need any help let me know

I appreciate all of the kind offers from everyone on help; while I may or may not need them, I'll use this thread for reference. You might be getting some PMs.

But, what I'm more interested in is content. That's why I put this thread up in the first place. I certainly have a number of ideas about what I'll be covering, and the guide is rapidly being completed. However, What I want from you guys is anything you might want me to cover more specifically.

Other than stuff about playing battle engie, anything?

If not, then I suppose you'll have a copy in hand towards the end of the week :)

I think I remember your guide from a post on ego forum. I think it was catered toward newer players, iirc. It depends on your target audience and your experience/understanding of the engi, but I'd suggest to add information which can be useful for experienced engi players; there are lots of guides out their for basics of the class already. For example, little things engi can do to separate him/her form good engi players. Or advanced sg placement based on movement of players and tempos of the matches.

I think I remember your guide from a post on ego forum. I think it was catered toward newer players, iirc. It depends on your target audience and your experience/understanding of the engi, but I'd suggest to add information which can be useful for experienced engi players; there are lots of guides out their for basics of the class already. For example, little things engi can do to separate him/her form good engi players. Or advanced sg placement based on movement of players and tempos of the matches.

It was indeed catered towards newer players, and With this guide, while I do intend to keep it so that new players can gain something from it, I will certainly be expanding to a more advanced field. My old illustration of sentry placement will be included, and it'll be getting a touch up, but I'll also be including a number of sections devoted to theoretical placement and situational placement.

In short, the whole concept of catering to experts was indeed something that I wanted to improve in this guide from the start. Thanks for the input; the stuff you suggested will most certainly be there.

I'm just kinda throwing out ideas. Although I have no idea how you could do this, or if you would even have any thoughts on this being helpful. Include other class' weaknesses that benifit the engi, and other class' strengths that cause issues for the engy. Now I'm not talking about the engies class weaknesses or strengths although those can be included aswell but the other classes. Teach us how we can use their weaknesses and possibly strenghts against them.

I'm just kinda throwing out ideas. Although I have no idea how you could do this, or if you would even have any thoughts on this being helpful. Include other class' weaknesses that benifit the engi, and other class' strengths that cause issues for the engy. Now I'm not talking about the engies class weaknesses or strengths although those can be included aswell but the other classes. Teach us how we can use their weaknesses and possibly strenghts against them.

That's a good idea. My last guide involved a section titled "what can break your gun", and it essentially outlined how each of the classes can be a threat to you, and what to do about it. However, doing something specifically geared towards beating certain classes might be neat. Whether it's just an expansion of the old section or a new one entirely, I think this might just find its way in there.

You probably should wait a little, because they might nerf some stuff.

Yup. I know, and I sorta am. I won't be releasing this until the end of the week at the very earliest, because a) I probably won't be done writing until then, and b) because I feel that things will indeed change over the week. I may delay it further if I feel more things will be changing, but I'll probably do it after the polycount update. And, in a worst case scenario, it really doesn't take long to fix some numerical errors; my thought is that if they nerf anything, it won't be completely game-changing to the point of needing new sections of the guide or large revisions of current ones.

And, more than likely, after the guide is out, if there are changes, I will put them in and re-upload, and just change the link quietly ;)

Cant wait to see the battle engi section, how about a section on ninjaneers (could be classified as the same type of strategy)? I love putting my mini sentries in spots that are far enough to do damage to distract someone while I attack from a different direction forcing them out and getting killed by my mini sentry. Its very effective strategy, I love making fun of people that get dominated by my mini sentry.

Frisky, I agree. I love that strategy, and I use it all the time. throwing those little guys in a corner while you have something to distract the person in the opposite direction is great; a lot of the time I don't even need to shoot them myself, if there's a shiny object like a dispenser to distract them from the little sentry behind him.

Certainly, there'll be lots of battle engie/ninjaneering stuff. It seems that it's the number one request in this thread so far, so I know to focus on it.

I am excited for Master Engineer's first novel.

Be careful what you wish for.... at the rate I'm going, it will be.

Back