eGO Community Map Project.

TBone01

Join our Steam Group to receive news about progress, updates, and play-tests!

Everybody has their favorite map, either Valve or custom made, and why they like it. A lot of people like to make maps, however due to whatever limitation (inexperience, lack of resources, etc) they never see the light of a public server. What I'm proposing to solve this is to split the design work up among many players, along with the resources of the EdgeGamers' community, so we can make a map that no one can complain about, because everyone made it.

I've made a development schedule
Code:
[COLOR="Green"]Completed[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Orange"]In progress[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Need more people[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]More could be added/waiting[/COLOR]
Full/waiting
- Initial meeting (using Team Viewer (or another screen sharing program) and Ventrilo, we would work out the map layout and other thing that are important to starting)(A map needs to be designed! Not copied from another one)
- Orange Dev [Death Injection, =[Ga]= AutoDMC, #3] (make the base of the map, ready for entities and the way we would want our first play test)
- Displacements [fatboy not slim] (add the terrain)
- Entities [Kevimaster] (the game mechanics and spawn rooms would be made at this stage (the payload track and control points would also be placed by you)
- Props [Skill/CJaZ] (basic game play props)
- Basic Optimization [TBone01]
- Public Play test (this is where we would want to determine all the problems)
- Detail Brushes [ShinobiSli, Asd, Passerby](fix up all the stuff found wrong in the 1st play test)
- Entities [Kevimaster](Change various time limits and other things that didn't work with a lot of people)
- Public Play test (Find anything else wrong)
- Entities [Kevimaster](finalize your work and fine tune)
- Detail Brushes [ShinobiSli, Asd, Passerby] (Add the "skin" to the map)
- Texture pass 1 [Passerby] (the base layer or textures, establishing the theme)
- Props pass 1 [Passerby] (replace the development blocks with their actual props and add basic props)
- Texture pass 2 [Asd] (more detail textures)
- Prop pass 2 [Skill/CJaZ] (more detail props)
- Lighting and environment [TBone01, ShinobiSli] (lighting throughout, skybox, the skybox texture, and environmental light)
- Texture pass 3 [Passerby] (any fine touches and fix anything changed by the lighting or displacements)
- Prop pass 3 [Passerby] (same as textures)
- Water [#1] (Water and water particle effects)
- Full optimization [Passerby]
- Clipping [HaterSalad] (make sure the players can't stand in the middle or the air)
- Soundscapes [featherfoot07] (Hear the cows mooing in the distance?)
- Public Play test (let's see what everyone thinks!!!)(last chance to change anything)
- Texture pass 4 [Asd] (fix stuff that people will find and you didn't notice (happens to everyone))
- Prop pass 4 [#1, #2] (same as Texture)
- Entities [Kevimaster](fine tune any problems that might be there)
- Public Play test
- Release?

Each position that can possibility have a job has been indicated
Code:
[#1] First job opening, a second and third job may be available
[NAME] [#2] has been filled, still more jobs open
[NAME], [NAME] has been filled no more jobs open

We've now decided on a theme and game play:
This will be a 3 stage PL map, the first sage being simple, the 2nd stage having control points to unlock track, and the 3rd will have a surprise.

The theme will be like hydro, we'll slowly move from a more rural area into an industrial complex. There were also be a river in the second stage, with some special attributes. ;)

So, are you in?

Post below if you just want to comment about what theme or game play style you want use to use or have any other comments!

PM me if you want to be a part of making this map (include your thoughts (the same as if you would post), what job you want (and how many you want), and (optional) a sample of you work relating to said position(s) (.vmf)).

Join our Steam Group to receive news about progress, updates, and play-tests!

Also, look at the "Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack" http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4674 and get the Swamp pack too! http://swamp.tf2maps.net/

Special thanks to Death Injection, Activate, and Kevimaster.

Last edited:
I always thought a long-format CTF map, like Teufort, but with control points which can be captured which open up shortcuts/alternate routes to the Intel could be neat.

I love mapping through the Orange/Test Entities stage but quickly bore of the detail work which turns an orange map into Turbine.

So I'd definitely be paying attention to see if I can assist in the Orange/Test phase of a community map.

Also, a friend of mine and I have a 5-CP map we'd tinkered with that might make an interesting starting off point... but I'll have to talk to him to see what he thinks.

I always thought a long-format CTF map, like Teufort, but with control points which can be captured which open up shortcuts/alternate routes to the Intel could be neat.

I love mapping through the Orange/Test Entities stage but quickly bore of the detail work which turns an orange map into Turbine.

So I'd definitely be paying attention to see if I can assist in the Orange/Test phase of a community map.

Also, a friend of mine and I have a 5-CP map we'd tinkered with that might make an interesting starting off point... but I'll have to talk to him to see what he thinks.

Ok, i'll put you into orange/dev and we'll talk about the map game play and stuff in the meeting ;)

Also: whoever signs up for the entities job, and know what the're doing, will get something special :cool:

Last edited:
so we can make a map that no one can complain about, because everyone made it.

I hope that isn't your main goal, or you won't be too crushed if you don't reach it, because that simply won't happen. Different playing styles means there probably can't be a map that everyone likes. Either way, good luck.

Great idea but its going to need major work!

Fixed that for you.

I hope that isn't your main goal, or you won't be too crushed if you don't reach it, because that simply won't happen. Different playing styles means there probably can't be a map that everyone likes. Either way, good luck.

yeah... I know that's not possible, but we can try :p

Detail Brushes
and/or
Lighting and Enviro.

Though I can do nearly anything ya need me to. I did a bit of mapping for CS:S, so I decently know my way around Hammer.

And while Entities is the only area I haven't worked with, I've done some reading, and can give it a whirl if there's no other volunteers!

been mapping for a long time and can do pretty much anything with hammer, so if you need help i can, but i dont see this project going anywhere in the long run.

i also think that things are too divided up it will be hard to make everything seem cohesive with so many people, things like texturing and props should all be one person etc

been mapping for a long time and can do pretty much anything with hammer, so if you need help i can, but i dont see this project going anywhere in the long run.

Aww don't be a pessimist.

I've been mapping for a while and nothing is better than a group project, more minds equals more ideas and more leveled maps. Everybody has their gameplay style. I can do stuff with entities, I haven't messed with Hammer in a long time, but I've never done skyboxes. I'm really good at setting up custom stuff, but not making it. I could do some tactical area work, since I know alot of balancing acts for most classes. Especially maneuvering room and major battle points. My idea is to keep everything mobile. Make it possible to ninjaneer and especially playtest difficult areas.

Thanks for showing your interest, I'm trying to handle most of this over steam IM's, so add me! lol

All we need is entities and we can get started, fill the rest later.

Last edited:
I was about 1/4 of the way of finishing a map for eGO a while ago; I do love mapping and I think this is a neat idea. I'm best at actually building the level (in orange, for instance), but I think I'm going to have to avoid signing up for this. As some of you already know, I have something else on the go for eGO right at the moment, and I think, for sanity purposes, I had better keep it there :p

I'll do the entities.

I can do pretty much anything in the mapping process though, so I can also do more.

Last edited:
Thank you kevimaster! :cool:

I've scheduled the meeting for 8PM EST, open to everyone. Have Team viewer installed for your viewing pleasure :p

I hope it works out just like this did.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf-Q5v73rBU[/ame]

Back