Thinking of buying a PS3

Mystery Penguin

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't know very much about PS3's, but I do know that I want one for the exclusives (the main reason I choose it over the 360 is free internet play). Is there anything I should know before setting off to buy one, like mechanical problems or good deals?

Nothing really to say there. PS3 comes with everything you want and need.

Recommend getting Little big planet with it.

Ive got a PS3 and it is really good. It has built-in wifi and all, so you should be set. Got some great exclusives for it and mine has lasted for years

No offense, but iSimon didnt do a good job of explaining the info you needed. It really depends on if ur going for new or used. If ur going for new, then just make sure you get a warranty w/ it. Depending on where you live, Gamestop (if you have one in you area) is always the best bet. They offer the best warranties out there. Sony just started doing warranties on them, but Gamestop is by far the best value for the warranties.

Now if youre goin for used, theres alot of variables to think bout. First off, you need to find out if its in good working condition. Gotta make sure it hasnt received the ylod (yellow light of death) yet. Also you need to figure out which version of the ps3 youre gonna get. They start at 20gb (the 1st one that ever came out & extremely rare to find if in great working condition) & go all the way up to 120gb (very few 250gb systems are used). Accessories is another big thing to look into. Make sure it comes with at least one controller. Some people just wanna sell ya the console by itself (no power, a/v cables or controller). It will be great if it comes w/ the box & manual, but both are optional. I prefer to have the box come w/ it, but manual isnt as important. I can find out the lil details online. Also, when it comes to used, esp when you look on eBay, make sure that it comes from a seller w/ a great rating &/or # of items that theyve sold while theyve done business on ebay. I happen to get a great deal on my 60gb system (cost me a week paycheck, but ive been completely happy w/ it, not to mention the fact that the guy was local & was extremely nice & helpful).

Now the optional info: If the system comes w/ games, great! I got a 60gb version used (come w/ both wi-fi & ethernet, which is great). If it comes w/ more than 1 controller, then thats extra awesome on your part.

Well like pillar said be careful when buying used. As for new you wont have to worry about too much since sony has fixed alot of the problems the PS3 had before like the Yellow Light of Death. Dont put the PS3 in a small area. It can throw out a good bit of heat when playing for long periods of time or when playing graphically intense games like Uncharted 2. Also make sure you take a can of compressed air or some other type of air pump and blow air through your PS3 every once in a while. i have a friend who has never blown his out and every once in a while when hes playing he says that it will get really loud. So as long as you keep it well ventilated and keep dust off and out of it you should be good.

Dont bother buying the PS3 Bluetooth headset, its bad and very low quality. If you want a good headset go for the TurtleBeach Earforce P21's I have them and they are a great headset for the PS3.

The bluetooth keyboard is a good accessory if you do alot of messaging or web browsing.

If your going to play racing or shooters the Real Triggers can be helpful in playing those types of games. Makes the back triggers curve outwards instead of inwards giving the triggers more of a gun feeling.

Well like pillar said be careful when buying used. As for new you wont have to worry about too much since sony has fixed alot of the problems the PS3 had before like the Yellow Light of Death. Dont put the PS3 in a small area. It can throw out a good bit of heat when playing for long periods of time or when playing graphically intense games like Uncharted 2. Also make sure you take a can of compressed air or some other type of air pump and blow air through your PS3 every once in a while. i have a friend who has never blown his out and every once in a while when hes playing he says that it will get really loud. So as long as you keep it well ventilated and keep dust off and out of it you should be good.

Dont bother buying the PS3 Bluetooth headset, its bad and very low quality. If you want a good headset go for the TurtleBeach Earforce P21's I have them and they are a great headset for the PS3.

The bluetooth keyboard is a good accessory if you do alot of messaging or web browsing.

If your going to play racing or shooters the Real Triggers can be helpful in playing those types of games. Makes the back triggers curve outwards instead of inwards giving the triggers more of a gun feeling.

No offense, but iSimon didnt do a good job of explaining the info you needed. It really depends on if ur going for new or used. If ur going for new, then just make sure you get a warranty w/ it. Depending on where you live, Gamestop (if you have one in you area) is always the best bet. They offer the best warranties out there. Sony just started doing warranties on them, but Gamestop is by far the best value for the warranties.

Now if youre goin for used, theres alot of variables to think bout. First off, you need to find out if its in good working condition. Gotta make sure it hasnt received the ylod (yellow light of death) yet. Also you need to figure out which version of the ps3 youre gonna get. They start at 20gb (the 1st one that ever came out & extremely rare to find if in great working condition) & go all the way up to 120gb (very few 250gb systems are used). Accessories is another big thing to look into. Make sure it comes with at least one controller. Some people just wanna sell ya the console by itself (no power, a/v cables or controller). It will be great if it comes w/ the box & manual, but both are optional. I prefer to have the box come w/ it, but manual isnt as important. I can find out the lil details online. Also, when it comes to used, esp when you look on eBay, make sure that it comes from a seller w/ a great rating &/or # of items that theyve sold while theyve done business on ebay. I happen to get a great deal on my 60gb system (cost me a week paycheck, but ive been completely happy w/ it, not to mention the fact that the guy was local & was extremely nice & helpful).

Now the optional info: If the system comes w/ games, great! I got a 60gb version used (come w/ both wi-fi & ethernet, which is great). If it comes w/ more than 1 controller, then thats extra awesome on your part.

Thanks, you both are very helpful. I am thinking of getting a 120 or 60gb new, about how much do they generally go for? I want to know if I'd get a good deal or not.

I recommend just buying a slim (retail price is about $299) if you dont care about BC. If you do then go search ebay for the 60Gb. Any blue tooth mic works with the ps3 so if you have one for your cell phone you can just use that. I also recommend you buy one by at least late September early - October because Gran Turismo 5 is coming out in November and I suspect it will push large amount of ps3s.

Last edited:
List of good exclusives, in my opinion...

Infamous
Flower
Uncharted 1 and 2
God of War
Demon's Souls
LBP
Resistance
Metal Gear Solid 4
Killzone 2
MAG

If you don't want to go and buy new headphones and mic then i suggest getting a USB audio adapter like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=USB_audio_adapter-_-12-186-035-_-Product so that you can use the mic from your headphones with your ps3. Also go to your local radio shack for Y adapter for the AV cables if they don't have one then get a Y adapter like this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102673 and a coupler http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102697 so that you can plug your headphones into it and have your mic go to the separate USB microphone port. Hope that made sense.

Last edited:
ya what wiggles said when it comes to the 60gb ps3. also good luck finding a new 60gb ps3 as all models of the 1st gen (20-60gb) are mostly used. its a rare gem to find any 1 of those new. if you dont care about backwards compatibility, then id suggest either the 80 or 120gb (unless u find a good deal on something smaller). im personally gonna upgrade my hard drive here soon to possibly 320 (unless i find a great deal on another hard drive).

the only thing i would say is that you HAVE to get red dead redemption. it has to be the best game out there. :)

I haven't had any problems with my PS3, and I find the games it has are very fun, and make it well worth getting.

Then again, I've only played MGS4, Metal Gear Online, Bioshock, and LittleBigPlanet on it. But I suppose downloading old PlayStation games is a good feature(MGS1, FFVII)

And the dual functionality as a Blu-ray player works great.

As for suggested games...

List of good exclusives, in my opinion...

Infamous I've heard it was good.
Flower Never heard of it
Uncharted 1 and 2 Need to try these out, I own them.
God of War Don't know
Demon's Souls Brother's playing it, says it's really fun
LBP ?
Resistance I suppose if you'll play it, you should get it. Too much other stuff for me.
Metal Gear Solid 4 Definitely. Pretty much justifies buying a PS3 by itself. The first three and Peacewalker(PSP) are also good, the first one is on the PSN as a PSOne Original.
Killzone 2 I loved Killzone 1, but I've never played the second one.
MAG Heard it was good.
Basically, what this guy said.

Last edited:
I haven't had any problems with my PS3, and I find the games it has are very fun, and make it well worth getting.

Then again, I've only played MGS4, Metal Gear Online, Bioshock, and LittleBigPlanet on it. But I suppose downloading old PlayStation games is a good feature(MGS1, FFVII)

And the dual functionality as a Blu-ray player works great.

As for suggested games...

Basically, what this guy said.
'This guy' would like to point out the Flower is a downloadable game and it is beautiful. Look up a video or something, it is an incredible game, made me shed a tear.

there are a lot of good things that come with the Ps3, and i really don't want this to become a bash thread,
but Sony is releasing PSNPlus (if you watched E3 youd know what i mean)
you pay for a certain amount of time to use an amazing version of the playstation network, meaning you pay for a year of PSN+, you can download skins, maps, hats, mini games, movies, shows (Movies and shows im not sure about) dogs, cats, moose, and exclusive DLC.
also there are a lot of games that are coming out that use the new Playstation Stick

so there are a lot of good things that you can get with Ps3

there are a lot of good things that come with the Ps3, and i really don't want this to become a bash thread,
but Sony is releasing PSNPlus (if you watched E3 youd know what i mean)
you pay for a certain amount of time to use an amazing version of the playstation network, meaning you pay for a year of PSN+, you can download skins, maps, hats, mini games, movies, shows (Movies and shows im not sure about) dogs, cats, moose, and exclusive DLC.
also there are a lot of games that are coming out that use the new Playstation Stick

so there are a lot of good things that you can get with Ps3

I lol'd here, thanks for the good laugh.

ya what wiggles said when it comes to the 60gb ps3. also good luck finding a new 60gb ps3 as all models of the 1st gen (20-60gb) are mostly used. its a rare gem to find any 1 of those new. if you dont care about backwards compatibility, then id suggest either the 80 or 120gb (unless u find a good deal on something smaller). im personally gonna upgrade my hard drive here soon to possibly 320 (unless i find a great deal on another hard drive).

Don't bother with the 20GB, no WiFi or backwards compatibility. For $399, walmart is selling a decent bundle. If you don't have a Wii start looking at the Playstation move Ps3[ame="http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_353388882_2?ie=UTF8&node=2310631011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=ilm&pf_rd_r=017PMDTBD1BP5TB4D6CN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1269417082&pf_rd_i=468642"]Amazon.com: PlayStation Move@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51s%2BMQarztL.@@AMEPARAM@@51s%2BMQarztL[/ame]. I think it has alot of potential if the advertise it right.

Flower is basically interactive art but still fun and red dead redemption single player is pretty good but I don't like the multi player because i prefer something more organized.(ie: you have to initiate the competitive game play in free roam but i can't get more than 3 other people to play the match.

Other thoughts:

Don't bother with PlayStation plus when you first get your system. It the Sony equivalent of a Cost-co card. It gives you discounts, auto-updates, qore, free avatars and themes, and every month a free psn game, a ps1 classic, and a couple of minis that are yours so long as you subscribe. Its a great deal for those who buy constantly from the store but your probably going to ignore the store and dive into the exclusives you've been wanting so id look into it but wait to subscribe.

Last edited:
Back