Hey, don't go on FPSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beta

EGO Is My Life!
I'm sure some of you use FPSBanana, a website dedicated to downloading user made skins and models for various games.

If you use the site often you know that it has had its share of having malicious ads running on the site that can give you a virus on your PC. Recently there has been a new virus that has popped up on the site that bypasses most anti virus programs

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360060

Friendly reminder to be careful where you surf on the internet.

I hardly ever use FPSB but thanks for the warning! That sites always been a little dodgy.

Either they cleaned it up already or I'm calling hoax. I'm on their site right now and there is no virus/trojan.

And before someone goes and says "Oh well you're just infected and you don't know it", trust me I've been around for a while. This is what I do for a living.

Either they cleaned it up already or I'm calling hoax. I'm on their site right now and there is no virus/trojan.

And before someone goes and says "Oh well you're just infected and you don't know it", trust me I've been around for a while. This is what I do for a living.

Trust me Shadow, FPSB is famous for having malicious ads. I doubt this is some hoax

Trust me Shadow, FPSB is famous for having malicious ads. I doubt this is some hoax

Well I just personally tested it out on both my secure Windows 7 box, as well as on a completely unpatched XP SP1 box running no virus protection. Neither had any of the symptoms described and neither have any extra processes running according to HJT.

Edgegamers used to have google ads that brought up false positives. We fixed it.

Newsflash! Just because the eGO site gave out false positives doesn't mean that every suspicious ad is safe.

Shadow, I thank you for testing the site out. Maybe it was already handled, or never happened at all. But what I do know is that FPSB has had malicious ads in the past. If they had a clean record before, I wouldn't of posted.

Edgegamers used to have google ads that brought up false positives. We fixed it.
Actually a few of the ads actually had malware in them at one point.

FPSB might still be infected, but only certain ads. So if you don't hit the ad, you don't get it.

I'd just stay in the clear till someone gives the go ahead.

-____- And i just D/L a map from there earlier today. wish i would have seen this. So if its in a AD, the only way to get it is by clicking on the ad right?

So i dont see loader.exe or 1explorer.exe running in task manager..im safe right?

Last edited:
guys - there is no reason to badmouth a site that has been good for years. it may have been a false positive, or maybe it was a virus on a single download. either way, the scare is over - several people have tested the site this evening and everything looks clean. Please just use good browsing sense...have an up-to-date virus scanner AND spyware/malware blocker running, only download stuff you are sure is safe, and in general just be careful!!

Status
Not open for further replies.