Windows Update and Cod4 update

JayFlip

EGO Is My Life!
For some reason, after everytime I download a windows update, my cod4 seems to have to update itself. The file is either roughly 3 gigs, or at other times, exactly 6664.5MB.

Does anybody know why this occurs, or if it is preventable, other than not installing updates?

Somebody suggested that Windows Defender (many updates are definition updates) thinks CoD4 is malware, and cod4 has to prove that it isn't by re-updating. Thoughts?

Somebody suggested that Windows Defender (many updates are definition updates) thinks CoD4 is malware, and cod4 has to prove that it isn't by re-updating. Thoughts?

Maybe, but I think Defender would quarantine or delete a file that it finds to be malicious, and if it were a core file of cod4 then the game would have to verify (it's probably verifying, not re-downloading) all the game files, and then re-download the ones that were affected by Defender. This could be a punkbuster thing, but I'm trying to imagine how.

Does this happen for all updates or just those requiring a restart? If you downloaded just definitions that didn't require restarts would it still have to do this?

That's all a stretch, but possible. Defender is very passive so you don't see many alerts, and it has real-time protection which means it could be screwing with services and files in immediate memory it doesn't like. Has Defender ever prompted you about a file associated with cod4? Try disabling it and installing a windows update. Same result?

The fact that you mentioned Defender has me very narrow-minded, I'll try and think outside that box for better diagnostics, should those above fail.

Most of the recent updates have been either Intel chipset something, or windows def'n. The most recent needed a restart, others, I don't think did.

I don't actually see alerts from defender, its just those are the updates. I'm not sure, its just something that somebody else mentioned as a possibility

Most of the recent updates have been either Intel chipset something, or windows def'n. The most recent needed a restart, others, I don't think did.

I don't actually see alerts from defender, its just those are the updates. I'm not sure, its just something that somebody else mentioned as a possibility

and if you disable defender?

It just happened without me even installing any updates, but it only had to update roughly 1.4gigs.
(It started at 5200/6664 mb instead of 0/6664). I haven't tried disabling defender yet.

Back