i7 920 - 930 users , anybody able to reach 4.4 "gaming" stable on air

dbee

Supreme Poster
Last night while tweakin around, was trying to push/play around with 4.4 ghz. I have done it before, though temps getting into the 90's with HT ON. Last night i tried with HT off, 1.45 vcore, and lowered my memory speed to help stabilize. It will boot, but soon as i start a stress test, the system freezes or crashes.

My system has no trouble with less than 1.3vcore , HT ON, @ 4ghz and 1.328vcore HT ON @ 4.2 . I would think with having a decent chip as this, 4.4 with HT off shouldn't be too rough.

Anybody know of some advanced bios features , Gigabyte board users if possible, that could help keep this thing stable at 4.4 ? thanks all .. dbee

Ph?bus

EGO Is My Life!
I know a guy on another forum.
He says the marginal difference going from 4.2 to 4.3/4.4 is not worth the heat/voltage bump.
So don't do it. Even if it's just for the e-peen.

shadows5631

EGO Is My Life!
If it's stable at 4ghz, you should be more than happy with that overclock. Personally, I wouldn't risk the extra voltage bumped needed.

reflex99

EGO Is My Life!
is an H50 considered air to you?

your cooler isn't all that great, if you want 4.4, i would get a VenX, D-14, or H50 (with epic fans)

And so what if you kill your chip. Know that it died for a cause.

OC TILL IT BURNS!!!!!!

Last edited:

Ph?bus

EGO Is My Life!
is an H50 considered air to you?

your cooler isn't all that great, if you want 4.4, i would get a VenX, D-14, or H50 (with epic fans)

And so what if you kill your chip. Know that it died for a cause.

OC TILL IT BURNS!!!!!!
It is to me. >.>

dbee

Supreme Poster
I just cant help myself. I think i need to go to one of those meetings where all the tweakers sit and introduce themselves then say " i'm dbee and i have a problem"

I would also consider an H50 air. Not true liquid. And Reflex, i hope you are not ragging on my Noctua, i use the same cooler you have in my work rig :)

Last edited: