Clip vs Magazine

Full Metal Jacket Version Quaffer.

This is my Rifle,
This is my gun,
This is for fighting
This is for fun.

Dad learned his version during WWII. He died in 1975 and Full Metal Jacket came out in 1987. It just goes to show you, things change. He probably told me that in 1969 so it may well be my memory that paraphrased the couplet. Of course if you polled four different drill instructors you'd probably get four or five different versions. ;)

Even now I doubt any military has much tolerance for calling a personal weapon a "gun". Having your own vernacular for things separates members of your organization from the rest of the world. It builds unity. If you know the "right" words for things "you" are one of "us". It's true in any field you care to name.

On a side note, Stormy, everytime I see you now Im going to purposefully call them the wrong things. With my Machine Gun, I plan to yell, "HEY STORMY, DROP ME SOME CLIPS."

On a side note, Stormy, everytime I see you now Im going to purposefully call them the wrong things. With my Machine Gun, I plan to yell, "HEY STORMY, DROP ME SOME CLIPS."

Thats okay Compton. I will one up you and start calling you Sally as I drop a smoke grenade in front of you, flash my flashlight repeatedly all while I punch you in the face doing my best rendition of Alvin and the Chipmunks "walla walla bing bang". :cursing:

A word on MGs... some German weapons were fed via basket magazines. The MG-34 in particular comes to mind, but that's not in DoD:S. It is, however, in DoD.

The ammunition belts for MGs were either disintegrating metal links (think .50 M2) or cloth belts (think .30cal). In some cases, the belts were stored in ammunition cans (basically what you see when you hit "h") that were designed to mount into the side of the weapon for convenient feeding.

And as for bazookas, the rockets were stored in what looked like oversized pringles cans.. similar to some types of mortar rounds. bazooka teams traveled in pairs, each man carrying 3 rockets.

That's all I have to say about that.

the people who call them incorrectly are usually people who have
A. Never shot a real weapon in there life for.
B. Are Just Not very smart lol.
C. Are not in Any Service to there country which uses different Weapons :)

I disagree, I have seen countless videos online of so called "gun experts" that are holding a weapon, talking about it, and firing, and still call a magazine a clip. I consider it colloquial, almost the same as people who calls any automatic firearm a machinegun. Nevertheless it still bothers me and makes me correct people all the time lol.

Back