Which do you prefer?

• GTX 400 series

• Radeon HD 5000 series

• Both

• Neither

• Total voters

Death

Poster Extraordinaire
I was just wondering what people's take was on the GTX 400's and Radeon 5000's. So if you have a preference, please explain why (no flame wars)

5000 series I think is better overall for a few reasons (eyefinity, etc), but if your looking to choose one you might want to look up at picking up 2x 460s and SLing them just purely for the price/performance.

The 470/480 and 5780/5790 are all pretty close together in benchmarks, and each have their perks. Just depends on what your looking for. I'm currently using a 5870.

Last edited:
Both are good in different ways.
I don't have much to say about either, actually. Probable because I'm so tired. lol

Overclocked 470's were great, now SLI 460's OC'd rock. I have nothing against ATI, great products no doubt about it. Had one bad experience with ATI and never went back, however as Cut says, Eyefinity is pretty damn awesome. I've always wanted a triple monitor setup for gaming and that would be the most efficient way. The ASUS ARES is pretty wild.

Last edited:
Uh oh. Don't start a flame war now. :p

I said both. They both have their ups and downs and they're both great lines of cards. I prefer Nvidia though, just because I like the logo and the colors associated with it. LOL!

i prefer Nvidia just because i've never had a problem with their cards, i had a bad ATi card and never went back to them, Nvidia delivers nice cards that have never failed to meet my standards.

I went with the 5870 after I saw the 480's price and power consumption (heat output). I also wanted eyefinity on a single card solution (pretty sensitive to microstutter -- came from 2x 8800GT SLI). However, the 460 is a pretty sweet card if you are looking at low end cards, and 480SLI is now king of multimonitor gaming. Pretty happy with my 5870 - it runs cool and is uber powerful. Gaming at 6040x1080 (bezel correction) owns. It's my first ATI card and it's been awesome for the few months that I've had it. When I got home popped the card in, fired up Crysis at 1920x1200 (old monitor -- now my 4th on my 8800GT folding card) and could play it on Very High I knew I had made a good upgrade! Now I need a new cpu to unlock the rest of it's potential -- a [email protected] doesn't quite cut it in BC2.

2 1GB GTX 460's in SLi is the way to go. Beat a GTX 480 and 5870 easily at stock, not to mention they EASILY overclock to 850Mhz+.

2 1GB GTX 460's in SLi is the way to go. Beat a GTX 480 and 5870 easily at stock, not to mention they EASILY overclock to 850Mhz+.

I think you mean 825MHz on stock voltage, I haven't looked around, but can you tweak the voltages now?

except the 5000 series OCs just as easily too keep in mind. i easily...very very easily OCed mine to 950/1200 with its stock cooler and just on 1.25 volts but probably could go higher if i dared. wonder how an OC 5850 would be against the OC 460

still looks like tho for the price nvidia takes it. hrm, never thought i'd say that again

Last edited:
except the 5000 series OCs just as easily too keep in mind. i easily...very very easily OCed mine to 950/1200 with its stock cooler and just on 1.25 volts but probably could go higher if i dared. wonder how an OC 5850 would be against the OC 460

still looks like tho for the price nvidia takes it. hrm, never thought i'd say that again

I'd say that a max oc 5850 and a max oc 460 would be about dead even in performance. Obviously the 5850 would be better in some scenarios and vice versa, but overall...

Back