Prisoner416 reviews freeware for you! (A series)

Prisoner416

Website Zealot
=(eGO)=
Table of contests so far. (Thanks GingaNinja!)

Table of Contents

Every week, or whenever I feel like it, I will review some piece of freeware I feel will make your life better.

Today we'll start with a nice little program called TeraCopy.

http://www.codesector.com/download.php

Teracopy is one of those tools that you never knew you needed but once you have it, you can't imagine being without it. It takes over the default Windows functions for copying and moving files. It's tightly connected, so you just copy and paste files in Explorer as normal. However, it has a lot more features.

Here are just a few.

1. Does the job faster. Move your crap faster then you would with the default controls.

2. CRC testing. As an option, you can have Teracopy test the checksum values of files after you move them. That means no more wondering if a file copied correctly, you'll know the data is perfectly transferred.

3. Full error display. Man, don't you hate it when Windows just throws it's hands up in the air when you're transferring 100 files and says "I don't know what's wrong so I'm stopping the whole dang operation."? Well, Teracopy not only just skips over such problems and keeps transferring, but it displays WHAT file had a problem, with detailed information as to what the issue was, to help you fix it.

4. PAUSE. Holy crap, I can pause my file transfer that would normally take up a large amount of resources to do something productive for a bit, like loading up Counter-Strike and pwning some guy who just taunted you via Steam PM.

5. Forget about things a lot? You can set it to play a little chime once your transfers are done.

6. Ease of use. My grandmother can use this program!

Overall, there is no reason not to get this program.

Next, I'll be reviewing a tool to keep your programs up to date. Not Microsoft Windows, but your actual everyday programs.

Last edited:

Beta

EGO Is My Life!
Prisoner, mind recommending a free video converter program? Something that supports most modern file types?

Prisoner416

Website Zealot
=(eGO)=
Prisoner, mind recommending a free video converter program? Something that supports most modern file types?
I have a few I've been looking at but I have to decide on a favorite. On the other hand, I might just review a bunch of them. Looking for just converting or editing as well?

frap

EGO Is My Life!
I've been using tera copy forever.

Used it because regular copy would refuse to copy many files from one HD to another, so i got this and it does it very fast, for every file.

Prisoner416

Website Zealot
=(eGO)=
So, you think you're up to date. You run Windows Update every day, update your anti-virus and Anti-Spyware devices, have Steam auto-update files, sit back, and smile, knowing your computer is fully secure and optimized.

Not so fast, skippy.

Security doesn't just depend on your OS. It depends on almost every program you use. Internet browsers, image editors, audio players, games, disk burners, EVERYTHING. Almost anything can have some sort of security loophole in it waiting to be taken advantage of. Not only that, but if you're running out-of-date software, you're missing out on better performance, extra features, the list goes on.

"But Prisoner! I can't possibly keep going to every product home page and checking to see if I have the latest version or not! I don't even know how to update my Java or what version of Foobar2000 I'm using! Why, I need help just to get my pants on in the morning!"

That's what I'm here for. Except for the pants thing, you're on your own with that. However, updating software doesn't have to be a chore.

Lucky for us, there's a tool called "FileHippo.com Update Checker".

It supports most common applications. All you do is run it, let it scan your computer, and it takes you to a web page showing what software you have that is outdated, and links you directly to downloads of the new versions. There are literally only five or six things on my computer that don't get included with the scans, but it's nice to know you are as up to date as possible. You can even set it to display beta versions available for download!

The tool is small (about 100k), and very effective. I swear by it. You will, however, want to disable the "start with Windows" option as I prefer to scan manually. I tend to scan with it at least once each day. If you want, you can post the results you get the first time you run it as a screenshot to show others how effective it really is.

You can get it at http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/ for free.

Last edited:

Prisoner416

Website Zealot
=(eGO)=
For Beta- Not a full review. Not my words either, as I haven't tried the software yet.

Super is a free media converter that acts as a graphical front end to several of the most powerful command line tools like FFmpeg, MEncoder, and MPlayer. The application boasts extensive options for customizing your preferences with virtually any aspect of your conversion. The downside to that control is that Super's interface is cluttered and intimidating for first-time users. Luckily for most purposes, converting a file to the right format with Super is as simple as selecting your output format (e.g., Apple iPod) and just sticking with the defaults. http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Format Factory is a free media converter for Windows that converts video, audio, and even images between formats. With a nice icon-driven interface for helping you choose the kind of conversion you're looking for, FormatFactory is one of the friendliest batch media converters you'll find. http://www.formatoz.com/

Media coder is probably your best option though. http://www.mediacoderhq.com/index.htm for download. It's what I normally use.

Last edited:

I-Die-Often

Forum Fanatic
Keep 1 thread... edit your first post to function as a table of contents that links to each review.

For me the two Freeware pieces that I use DAILY and would go crazy without are SynchBack and PDFSAM.... as well as BullZip PDF Printer :) those three keep my work sorted out so I can work on the move and not worry as much about keeping up with paper work (I work in labor relations, so there is TONS of paperwork without adding more)...

Blue Stealth

EGO Is My Life!
yeh I found tera copy on lifehacker a couple months back. Excellent program. little bit ugly in its GUI but does the job better than windows does.

-Blue

Passerby

EGO Is My Life!
and this is why windows is my most hated OS almsot everyother OS can do all if not most of this stuff out of the box.

Passerby

EGO Is My Life!
and this is why windows is my most hated OS almost every-other OS can do all if not most of this stuff out of the box.
inst more the problem of any commenter that turns it into a flame war. That was just a statement on a view and just because it differs from someone else's view isn't really a cause for a flame war.

Beta

EGO Is My Life!
and this is why windows is my most hated OS almsot everyother OS can do all if not most of this stuff out of the box.
Hey man, thats a GREAT tale and all but we are discussing freeware apps, not the Various OS debate