Starcraft 2: To buy or not to buy

Rolololo

Rookie Poster
Hey guys, I have never played Starcraft before, but am deciding whether or not to purchase this game. What is the gameplay like(fast,slow,overly complicated)? I used to play a decent amount of command and conquer, does it play similarly to that?

I am hearing some good reviews from the beta, but what are your guys opinions?

Thanks!

king killer

EGO Is My Life!
YES YES YES YES. Kick-ass game ive been playing the beta and it is 10000x better than any other rts game i have ever played. okay well maybe im putting too much 0's on but hey i love the game and the game play is amazing with amazing graphics. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!
But might wanna wait like a week before buying it and playing i have a feeling they are gonna have a lot of maintenance in the first days of its release with battlenet 2.0 released. the beta was up and down a lot but that could also because the reason of it is a beta.

Rolololo

Rookie Poster
Wicked, thanks for the feedback King. Looks like I'll give it a shot, could work well as something I pick up and play from time to time.

king killer

EGO Is My Life!
I have to warn you it has a pretty big learning curve expect to lose 90% of you're games for the first month or so.

Rolololo

Rookie Poster
Yeah that's expected. Especially since I'll be playing against a bunch of people that likely played SC1 for YEARS.

Just ordered it, thanks King. PS - You still playing CS:S these days?

king killer

EGO Is My Life!
Not in the past 4 months havent been playing but thatll all change in 3 weeks when my new computer gets here :D yo B2k whats ur realid ill add u maybe get some 2v2 going

StaksNPaks

Rookie Poster
if you can do small micro on a large scale and keep up with macro, and want intense RTS action then sc2 is the game for you, if your going to nerd rage to a gay army and micro war then dont buy the game.

Rolololo

Rookie Poster
I have to warn you it has a pretty big learning curve expect to lose 90% of you're games for the first month or so.
Fair enough, I am counting on you to teach me a thing or two then once I figure out what buttons do what? Haha

I don't enjoy losing, so hopefully I pick it up quick. Already started reading up on some strategy. I assume the game comes with a fairly substantial single player section for learning how to play...

Rolololo

Rookie Poster
if you can do small micro on a large scale and keep up with macro, and want intense RTS action then sc2 is the game for you, if your going to nerd rage to a gay army and micro war then dont buy the game.
micro on a large scale? nerd rage... micro war?

Help me out a bit... I googled what microing and macroing are, but what exactly is a micro war and how is it different from microing on a large scale? Serious questions!

Kim Possible

Forum Fanatic
Buy it man reviews are everywhere saying the game is a huge hit. ratings from 9/10 or a 8/10
see the trailers if u need more convincing

Soul_of_a_Sinner

EGO Is My Life!
I pre-ordered the $120 version of it b/c im a huge fan from SC. I have the beta and I can say that a lot of people who are huge fans are somewhat disappointing in what they are seeing right now. However, I like quite a lot of things that they have done, new units different online gameplay as in battle net (these are ok). If you havent played SC then this is all new to you so I think you should buy it. You can expect a fast game play in most of the battles, however ive played quite a few that last like half-hour or so, it really depends on the people playing. Its a pretty big learning curve as to what you want to do everyone has their own strats for each race and each unit. BUY IT!!!!

Rolololo

Rookie Poster
I pre-ordered the $120 version of it b/c im a huge fan from SC. I have the beta and I can say that a lot of people who are huge fans are somewhat disappointing in what they are seeing right now. However, I like quite a lot of things that they have done, new units different online gameplay as in battle net (these are ok). If you havent played SC then this is all new to you so I think you should buy it. You can expect a fast game play in most of the battles, however ive played quite a few that last like half-hour or so, it really depends on the people playing. Its a pretty big learning curve as to what you want to do everyone has their own strats for each race and each unit. BUY IT!!!!
Pre-ordered last week. Can't wait. Is it being shipped on the 27th? or does shipping happen the day before so we get it on the 27th?

Epic Cptn Awesome

I made one post
I play SC1 like every day, and I'll help you with some definitions.

Microing - It's an act of moving forward, and backward on a small scale, to confuse the enemy, so you can take less damage, with more hits, it's like a way of tricking the system, but it takes practive.

APM - Actions per minute, it has to be the biggest variable in the game.

Microing small scale - microing units to kill other units/patrols.
Microing large scale - in a full on attack, still being able to micro. (putting weak ranged units in back, recycling.

Single player- this is a major part of the game, it is how you learn, and practice, before you get pwnt. It has a great storyline, so I advise playing SC1 and Brood war, to get to know the storyline.

after about 5 months into the game you should see some great UMS maps, prolly first one will be cat and mouse.
These are maps that are not counted toward your score, and are for fun, along with a totally different experience. (you could edit things so that stuff spawns, a zergling has 30 damage, and that it is called a flir flar. It's a total reconstruction of the game)

It will be fun, but the amount of learning you'll have to do is, ungodly, but think of it this way, it's all a mathematical equation. the miners you get will be specifically numbered for max potential, you building stuff in a certain area, at a certain time could be the matter between life and death. It's complex, but it's balanced, and that's why it's famous.

Rolololo

Rookie Poster
Now that blizzard has their digital download up, I kind of wanna just cancel my preordered copy and get the digital version. Stupid Gamestop wont accept calls today though!

EDIT: Boourns too late, looks like I will have to wait until the 28th to play :( Unless my shipment miraculously makes it in the 27th.

Last edited: