New CPU

BlackBird.

EGO Is My Life!
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a new CPU, my budget is not really much so i just wanna spent something arround 100$, and dont wanna travel to far:p

So the only option for me is: AMD Phenom Quad 9450E (2,1G) 2MB TRAY (No Cooler) 65W AM2+ :p

What you guys think about it?

Atm i have a Amd Athlon x2 64 4200+ 2.2 Ghz. Will I notice a difference?

And other thing I'm wondering, my BIOS is F9E atm, the newest version. But for that CPU you need F4. Do i need to downgrade my BIOS?

Thanks

~Bird.

BlackBird.

EGO Is My Life!
If you have an AM2+ socet type, chances are you can use an AM3 type processor with your motherboard also. So that will expand your options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=AMD_Phenom_II_X2-_-19-103-846-_-Product

That is my suggestion. The Black Edition is completely unlocked and allows for easy over clocking.

And no, you won't need to downgrade.

Could you give me your motherboard model please.
I know I can use AM3 Cpu's. But the only shops which sales cpu's here doesnt has much. I can also order online but that takes ages lol:p

My Motherboard is: GA MA770-UD3 1.0rev.

What about that quad core? Is it good or waste of money?

Last edited:

ShadowBlade72

Forum Addict
The Phenom processors are okay, but the Phenom II's were a big step up.

And I'm not sure where you live, but NewEgg can usually get stuff to your doorstep in about 3 days.

BlackBird.

EGO Is My Life!
The Phenom processors are okay, but the Phenom II's were a big step up.

And I'm not sure where you live, but NewEgg can usually get stuff to your doorstep in about 3 days.
Im from Netherland :)

What about the Phenom II 555 Black Edition 3.2 Ghz?
Is that one beter then the Am2+ quad core?

ShadowBlade72

Forum Addict
The Phenom II X2 555 BE 3.2 Ghz is the one that I linked you to.

Yes, it is better and that would be my suggestion if you're going to buy a processor for $100.

BlackBird.

EGO Is My Life!
Oke. I might just order that one on internet then.... uhm..... is the X2 555 much beter then the AMD athlon X2 64 4200+? Will i notice a difference?

Becaus i can play BFBC2 on medium settings online now. When I get that CPU can i play it on high then you think?

ShadowBlade72

Forum Addict
Upgrading your CPU will help out your FPS if your current video card is not up to par and is having to use the CPU to compensate for being overworked.

Essentially, yes there is a very good chance that you will see SOME improvement in games, but how much of an improvement I can't really say.

Get the CPU, see what it does for you, if you're still not satisfied, then get a better GPU. You won't be disappointed with the Phenom II X2, especially coming from an Athlon x2 64.

BlackBird.

EGO Is My Life!
Oke thanks.

Atm i have a Sapphire HD 4870 1GB DDR5. Thats good enough for the most games:)
So the cpu is the problem indeed. Thanks, i'l just buy it.... i think:p

Thanks.

~Bird.

Toasteddude

I need to go outside
Oke thanks.

Atm i have a Sapphire HD 4870 1GB DDR5. Thats good enough for the most games:)
So the cpu is the problem indeed. Thanks, i'l just buy it.... i think:p

Thanks.

~Bird.
In BC2, you will see a HUGE improvement with a quad core. I went from struggling on low on some maps with a dual to never struggling on high with a quad. I use an NVIDIA 285 GTX.

ShadowBlade72

Forum Addict
In BC2, you will see a HUGE improvement with a quad core. I went from struggling on low on some maps with a dual to never struggling on high with a quad. I use an NVIDIA 285 GTX.
It all depends on what dual core you had and what quad core you upgraded to.

If you previously had an Athlon II X4 and then went to a Core I3 550 Dual Core, you'd see a huge improvement going FROM a quad core TO a dual core. You really can't make a general statement about getting better performance from more cores when you're talking processors.

Toasteddude

I need to go outside
It all depends on what dual core you had and what quad core you upgraded to.

If you previously had an Athlon II X4 and then went to a Core I3 550 Dual Core, you'd see a huge improvement going FROM a quad core TO a dual core. You really can't make a general statement about getting better performance from more cores when you're talking processors.
It's not a general statement. Just BC2 is horribly optimized and running any quad with it is an improvement over a dual.

ShadowBlade72

Forum Addict
One last question:p; Why is the Phenom 555 beter than the AMD Phenom? X4 9450e ?
When it comes to gaming the L3 Cache is important. A larger L3 cache is able to more effectively handle the large demands made by modern games.

When it comes to multitasking, the Phenom X4 will beat out the Phenom II X2 due to the extra two cores. When it comes to gaming the Phenom II X2 will beat out the Phenom X4 due to the larger L3 cache.

I don't have any benchmarks to back this up, but if past studies hold true, then my statement is also true.

Ph?bus

EGO Is My Life!
It's not a general statement. Just BC2 is horribly optimized and running any quad with it is an improvement over a dual.
How is it horribly optimized? It's a demanding game that runs better on a quad core because it takes the massive load off of the two cores to put them on four. Sorry that a dev won't make a game that will run on a P4/6600 system, they can't assume that in 2010 people have at least a quad and a not too shabby graphics card.

ShadowBlade72

Forum Addict
How is it horribly optimized? It's a demanding game that runs better on a quad core because it takes the massive load off of the two cores to put them on four. Sorry that a dev won't make a game that will run on a P4/6600 system, they can't assume that in 2010 people have at least a quad and a not too shabby graphics card.
It might be a demanding game, but as I said before, you can't make such a general statement. All quad cores are not better than dual cores. For instance, the Phenom II X4 is almost on par with the Core I3.

Computing power isn't all about how many cores you have, especially in the gaming world. The new Thuban processors (Phenom II X6) still get beat out by the Core I7 and the X6 is a hexacore processor, while the I7 is a quad core.