ba_jail_urban - in progress - screenshots

Grumio

Rookie
Hi guys, I'm making my first jail map.
It's a smaller map, but I'm making it detailed and including some novel mechanisms.
It's about 50% done at this point.
Here are some screenshots.
urbanjail_screen01.JPG

urbanjail_screen02.JPG

urbanjail_screen05.JPG

urbanjail_screen06.JPG

urbanjail_screen08.JPG

urbanjail_screen10.JPG

The special mechanisms include a trivia button that plays jeapordy music, an octotag button that creates a ditch through the middle of the soccer field, an elevator and a cart. Oh, and some cameras connected to monitors in the control room.
It will have a maze, climb, and disco as well.
Of course it has a few well-placed vents to make the map even.
Thoughts, suggestions, concerns?

Last edited:
I've updated the outside since the screenshot. The skybox does not emit much light, giving it a late evening environment. There are lights mounted off of the railing and the wall of the prison. Some spotlights can be shot to be destroyed. Also I added architectural features: buttresses to the outside walls and supports to the rails.

Yes I do plan to add a 3d skybox before I release it to show the urban environment.
That will be one of the last things I add though.

progress update

I decided not to include a cart because that could slow down the gaameplay.
One of the goals of this map is to not have slow boring rounds because of a confusing layout, obstacles, or long areas to traverse.
At this point I have about 80 percent of the square-footage of the map done and am finishing detailing it to the fullest.
This map will not be bland and plain.

Hmm... I was thinking.
Do you think I should have a deathrun room instead of maze?
It would have deathrun traps where the Ts run and the Cts push buttons.
I heard that phasexero had a jailmap with a deathrun room, and that it was successful.
So do you think this would be a feature that players would use and enjoy?

Last edited:
Yeah, the one with Phases' map with deathruns were really fun. But the thing is, that sometimes that's all Ct's know how to do, like nearly all the rounds T's were doing Deathrun and nothing else. So yeahhh, i dunno.

Death runs are awesome, but you have to also put in some stuff that might deter the CT's from wanting to play it EVERY SINGLE ROUND.

If you make a big death run under the map, make it fairly long so that if they do do it, you can keep people entertained for a while. At the end though, make it like normal deathruns where there is a door that if they get to it, they can get a gun or something.

Another thing is make it randomly spawn them with that gun somewhere else on the map to keep the CT's from just making them drop whatever they have as soon as they come out. This will give the T's a chance to rebel if they want, and also keep the CT's from wanting to play it every round for fear of dieing lol.

My map is almost finished.
It will probably be done in about a week, but definitely less than two weeks.
Here's all I need to do:
Finish disco.
Climb room.
Deathrun room.
3D skybox.
Then I get people to test it out!

The platform isn't flying anymore, and I added in a warden's office that oversees the cellblock.
That screenshot is old.
The platforms are there because I needed a way to get from the floor to the upper level.
I think I'll put in stairs before I release it because the platforms look out of place.
The stairs and the warden's office make it look less like a block.

I've been working on it. Here's what the cellblock looks like now.
urbanjail_screen11.jpg

Should clear up the problems, eurocracy.
=)
All that's left is:
Fixing disco music issue
Finishing Deathrun room
3d Skybox

Last edited:
Back