do ppl still paly hellgate london?

Fear Feathers

Forum Fiend
I've hear that the game died. but wonders if some ppl still do play it. I've been thinking about hitting the server again on hellgate.

does anyone still play ?

The towns in online were online, I believe. Other places were instanced. Plus, if you knew people, you could play with them. Individual loot drops were a great idea.

This was a really fun game until the company died.

However, the company that kept the game running in Korea is bringing a server to North America, with their apparently different, better Hellgate: London. And new expansions("Hellgate: Resurrection" which contains several expansions), and content updates not requiring a subscription.

The problem is that the guys who ran Flagship were pretty convinced that since people loved their "Diablo" so much that they'd buy it again, but this time if they wanted to play it multiplayer they'd be sure to cough up money for a subscription.

In the end they couldn't make enough cash to keep their servers running and killed it.

They even dumped the company name to form a new one (Runic) which continues to make Diablo clones because they'll never be able to get over making one amazingly successful game.

The problem is that the guys who ran Flagship were pretty convinced that since people loved their "Diablo" so much that they'd buy it again, but this time if they wanted to play it multiplayer they'd be sure to cough up money for a subscription.

In the end they couldn't make enough cash to keep their servers running and killed it.

They even dumped the company name to form a new one (Runic) which continues to make Diablo clones because they'll never be able to get over making one amazingly successful game.

To which game are you referring to in the beginning? Diablo was not first person, did not have guns, and Hellgate did not require a subscription for multiplayer.

I agree with Ranthus, idk which game Cupcake is talking about as Hellgate's online was completely free.

I played the game for a bit (I got to level 25ish), but found it was a little too dull. I wish they had implemented reloading or cooldowns or something on most of the guns, it's kind of a drab just being able to blast away. Although it was a good stress reliever...

You could pay for some stuff on hellgate london, like hardcore mode and a higher storage space, it was like 10 bucks a month. Probably what he is referring to.

You could pay for some stuff on hellgate london, like hardcore mode and a higher storage space, it was like 10 bucks a month. Probably what he is referring to.

I always took it from the little advertisement offering slide crap that came in the box that the subscription was explicitly required for multiplayer; I didn't catch that it just allowed you to get all the content updates and the other perks. Sucks if they bought the lifetime subscription for $150.

To which game are you referring to in the beginning? Diablo was not first person, did not have guns, and Hellgate did not require a subscription for multiplayer.

And it doesn't have to be explicitly Diablo to be a pretty clean Diablo clone. With the "it's first person and has guns" argument, it could be said that if you literally took Diablo, put it in first person and gave half the characters guns instead of their ranged weapons, it would be a different game.

Hellgate isn't even explicitly first-person. Melee characters have to use the 3rd person camera, the game won't even let you do otherwise.

Right...
Well, then...
I've run out of ideas. Hellgate had different content, even with similar gameplay and elements? Kind of similar to the difference between Diablo and Diablo II? Or that Hellgate can actually count as an MMO.
I knew what he was talking about, I was just pointing out that it wasn't as bad as he claimed.

to anyone who played, remember the guild, "LEGION"? The guild the encompassed around 1200 active members in less than a month and made up around 1/10th of the active server population at most times.

It's one of those MMO's I followed before it's release, then didn't jump in right away and waited to hear feedback. Just about everything was negative so I passed on it.

The idea behind it looked like fun, sounds like it just never came together.

Back