Advice please? :)

Ruthless

Poster Extraordinaire
So, I've been getting the basics down about rocket jumping.
However, I watched a bunch of comp. play with tf2 soldiers
and they do this kind of jump called wall jumping where you jump off a wall of a building or object, you don't lose much HP and you travel very fast.

I can't seem to find a GOOD video on this technique.
If anyone can teach me or show me a video on how to do this
and how to practice it, that'd be great.

Thanks, Ruthless. :)

If you have the "Gunboats" item, it's like -50% damage when jumping

I understand that, but normal crouch jumping technique is kinda slow and I lose around 50 hp while doing it.
that's why I'm talking about the wall jumping technique because it offers great speed at 30 or so self-inflicted damage.

Beta, you constantly contradict every post I make.

Mind linking me to the video in question?

So, I've been getting the basics down about rocket jumping.
However, I watched a bunch of comp. play with tf2 soldiers
and they do this kind of jump called wall jumping where you jump off a wall of a building or object, you don't lose much HP and you travel very fast.

I can't seem to find a GOOD video on this technique.
If anyone can teach me or show me a video on how to do this
and how to practice it, that'd be great.

Thanks, Ruthless. :)

wall jumps are more used for extra higher or distance the biggest thing that would make a difference to a new rocket jumper is not holding the forward key if you use the strafe and slowly move the mouse in the same direction after a jump you will go farther and maintain more air control

anyway the video I was referring too when the guy jumps off the walls going fast without taking fall damage is this video here

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN99Al_rRnI[/ame]

if you skip to about 10 minutes into the video you can see what I'm talking about.
Please skip to 10 minutes if watching.

Gunboats are a horrid item.

Negative, quite possibly my favorite item

passerby said:
the biggest thing that would make a difference to a new rocket jumper is not holding the forward key if you use the strafe and slowly move the mouse in the same direction after a jump you will go farther and maintain more air control

negative, hes not trying to strafe so it doesn't matter, plus it is possible to strafe just as well while holding 'W'

I'll put up something later today you might want to take a look at man, and I can help you learn the technique. I am a very experienced rocket jumper :) (I'll spend hours just playing Rocket Jump maps at a time, very fun :p)

Negative, quite possibly my favorite item

negative, hes not trying to strafe so it doesn't matter, plus it is possible to strafe just as well while holding 'W'

I'll put up something later today you might want to take a look at man, and I can help you learn the technique. I am a very experienced rocket jumper :) (I'll spend hours just playing Rocket Jump maps at a time, very fun :p)

Alright thanks kevi. :D

Gunboats are a horrid item.
They might be for pub play but not at all in a competitive 6v6. Comp players can maneuver around the map extremely fast, and it's all about speed. Usually the roaming soldier rolls with them and does serious damage. Jaeger for example uses them, and if you've seem him play he gets to the mid point in badlands faster than the scouts. Then can get behind and take out the medic.

Beta, you constantly contradict every post I make.

Mind linking me to the video in question?

Maybe because your posts are in need of contradiction? I don't know.

Also I call the GBs horrid from a pub view, not a comp view. I could care less what a few comp players do. A shotgun is a perfect weapon for the Soldier. Also the Buff Banner is a great item in pub play as well.

The map 2Fort is the best place to use gunboats. I'm not sure what Beta is talking about pub view or comp view, but just go crazy :p

I don't want to turn this into a 'how good are the gunboats' thread, but my 2 cents:

I agree with beta. They're really not a good option for regular play. The shotgun is excellent, because your RL has so little ammo; having that extra 6 shots loaded for an uber is excellent.

Buff is also great. If you fire a few shots into a crowd, you can get minicrits for a good 15 seconds. Even if your team doesn't use them, they're great to buff yourself with.

Gunboats...? Look at any comp soldier and you'll note that they don't take much damage from rocket jumping. There are little 26 health jumps you can make that'll get you places faster, and if even if you're jumping a long way, the pros keep the height low so that they don't take fall damage. the key to being a great rocket jumper is knowing the map, and knowing where the health is. I think that very few serious players would actually advocate the use of them, simply because taking away extra ammo or free minicrits for the ability to need a healthpack a little less (but still need it) really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Also, I've seen a lot of rocket-jump demonstration vids, and they often use their own servers to constantly heal and/or overheal them so they don't die after a chain of jumps. Don't forget to consider that they may be recording on a server that reduces self rocket damage, heals them, etc

the video he posted wasn't on one of those servers.

Anyway, sure gunboats aren't as useful as the shotgun if either A. you are an average-poor rocket jumper, or B. you don't know how to use them properly. Use them to flank the enemy or for great speed. Yes, you can just grab health packs or whatever, but that slows you down. Also, some of the jumps I commonly do will kill me if I don't use the gunboats, even with a medic healing me.

Also, Dread, you play mesa 95% of the time, where rocket jumping is near useless anyway (besides on A, where it only has very limited use as compared to other maps), so of course the GB are going to be terrible there.

would you guys mind actually helping me in this thread
rather than starting an argument over which items are better.
that'd be great.
thread is asking for advice on rocket jumping not advice on which secondary slot item is better.

that'd be great.
thread is asking for advice on rocket jumping not advice on which secondary slot item is better.

The Engineer.

I have a TF2 server set up. Just add me to friends and I'll help ya out whenever.

that'd be great.

yes but you have to relise that everything get's derailed here and turned into flame wars and is just how these forums work or at least from my experience

yes but you have to relise that everything get's derailed here and turned into flame wars and is just how these forums work or at least from my experience

lol, its not even half as bad as things like the steam forums

But yeah, I'm workin on getting the video up, what it really is is a rocket jumping/sticky jumping video that I've been making over the last couple weeks, but I pretty much abandoned at this point. Add me on steam or come find me in Ventrilo (where I always am when gaming or just hanging out) and I'll try to help you a bit :).

I find a good way to do fast lateral jumps is by crouch jumping, but shooting 5-6 feet in front of you instead of beneath you. You can also shoot at walls you are near to get the effect, which is what you seem to be asking. Obviously you have to look the opposite direction from which you wish to travel to shoot the rocket, so it is easiest to do with a high-dpi mouse so you can turn back and see where you are going again.

A good way to practice is to create a 2 fort server to practice on (and guys, please give me a sec to explain before you burn me for liking 2 fort). If you practice running towards the water, snapping around, doing the lateral jump, then looking back, it'll give you good practice. You should be able to pretty easily clear the water and get to the other side. Once you can consistently get that down, move on to other maps and practice in new scenarios.

Back