Linux and HDD questions

Ph?bus

EGO Is My Life!
So I want to try out Linux, and there's a great thread over at OCN so I don't really need help with that yet, but I only have one HDD, so I need to partition.
Isn't there a partitioning program? Can someone (lookin' at you, Prisoner and/or iSimon) give me the link for it?

You can create new partition space using Windows' Disk Management.

• Go to: Start Menu -> Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Create and format disk partitions

• Right click on an existing partition you want to resize and select Shrink volume...

2z6vuz4.jpg

• Enter the amount of space you want to shrink in MB and pres Shrink

aclu1.jpg

• You now have unallocated space where you can install Ubuntu/any distribution of your choice :)

1sej2h.jpg

Alternatively, you can use GParted to partition your hard drive or if you just want to try out Linux, install Wubi.

almost every distro has it's own partition program built int and will resize and make partitions for you on install.

You can create new partition space using Windows' Disk Management.

• Go to: Start Menu -> Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Create and format disk partitions

• Right click on an existing partition you want to resize and select Shrink volume...

2z6vuz4.jpg

• Enter the amount of space you want to shrink in MB and pres Shrink

aclu1.jpg

• You now have unallocated space where you can install Ubuntu/any distribution of your choice :)

1sej2h.jpg

Alternatively, you can use GParted to partition your hard drive or if you just want to try out Linux, install Wubi.

Wow thanks. :thumbup:

Also, if you arent sure of which Linux distro youd like to try at first, many of them have Live CDs. Those will allow you to burn a cd or put it on a flash drive, and run the distro off of it. That way you can see what it does and looks like before installing it to your drive.

Also, if you arent sure of which Linux distro youd like to try at first, many of them have Live CDs. Those will allow you to burn a cd or put it on a flash drive, and run the distro off of it. That way you can see what it does and looks like before installing it to your drive.

I was going to use Ubuntu,
and like I said, there is an AMAZING thread over at OCN for trying out Linux.

I was going to use Ubuntu,
and like I said, there is an AMAZING thread over at OCN for trying out Linux.

ubuntu is a good starter distro but you should try a few like openSUSE, and linux mint

openSUSE is the more stable and customizable and runs a way better KDE set up than mint or ubuntu but mint and ubuntu are targeted towards new users.

so it prolly is a good idea to try a kde distro and a distro that uses gnome since the to DE's are very different.

all of these have live cd's and all of them will partition and setup a duel boot via grub for you

Last edited:
Ubuntu distro has a LiveCD if you want to fiddle with Ubuntu, also it can partition your drives and will allow for dual booting with ease.

You know, there's no reason to be a prick.
If you're going to help someone, might as well help them the whole way through instead of half-assing it. You didn't have to help.

But thanks for the help.

ya iv been rewiring and soldering the studio all day because someone decided to mess with thing in the pack of the racks so im a bit cranky

Back