To Build, Or Not To Build??

Tazraz01

Rookie
Hey guys!

I currently game (boot camped with Win 7 Pro) on my 2007 Santa Rosa MacBook Pro with these specs...

Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz
2GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
256MB GeForce 8600M GT

Now, the big question is this: I will primarily play TF2 and StarCraft 2 on whatever rig I build, and my MBP plays both of these games fine, albeit obviously without the best graphics/resolutions.

Is it worth it to build a gaming rig at the moment? How about a gaming laptop? I've read the recent article about gaming laptops, and how some people seem to be totally against them for some reason...?

If it IS worth it, do you guys think I could build an i7 rig for around $800? If not, I'll just upgrade my MBP to 4GB RAM and just play TF2/SC2 with decent settings.

Gaming laptops are just more difficult to acquire parts... Laptops are more meant for everyday bussinesses, if you're going to build something, I would suggest a desktop. I think someone will provide a build for you whenever they get to this thread.

Honestly, if you can play the games you play at an acceptable framerate/detail level on your current computer, and you'll ONLY play those two games, it would not be worth it to build your own.
But, if you do, I have a few questions, and I'll put a build together for you.

1. Budget. And give a solid number. State whether that number includes tax/shipping or not.
2. You can use Newegg, correct? If your state taxes Newegg or whatever, what is your zip code?
3. Main purpose (gaming, I assume)?
4. What all is needed within the budget (ie keyboard, mouse, monitor, OS, speakers, etc)?
5. You pick a case, unless you want me to recommend some based on your budget.

Well if I were to build a new one, I would

1) Like to spend between $800-900 (anywhere in between is fine) so lets say $850, since I'm a poor college student
2) Yes I can use Newegg, EDIT: Texas is not charged sales tax *whoop whoop*
3) Main purpose would be gaming/multimedia
4) I would just need the rig, I have a monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers
5) This is the case I was looking at since its cheap and has great reviews, but feel free to suggest one!! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited:
No, at least not to begin with...I would assume overclocking would lead to liquid cooling, which is just another expense that I dont think is necessary for me at the moment

tazraz.png

You don't need liquid cooling for overclocking.

Wow Phobus, you are the man!! Thats amazing haha

How are the i5 processors? I've used i7 and i3, just never the middle-man haha

Thanks a ton!! I'll be looking into buying your build in the very near future!

Wow Phobus, you are the man!! Thats amazing haha

How are the i5 processors? I've used i7 and i3, just never the middle-man haha

Thanks a ton!! I'll be looking into buying your build in the very near future!

The i5 cpu's are pretty awesome, it's essentially i7 without Hyperthreading.
I'm totally picking one up for my next build. i7's are overrated. Not saying they're bad, but the i5 is just as good.

I just gotta say something.

Your missing an Opperating system, a monitor, a mouse, SoundCard (maybe), Keyboard, and something I cant think of ATM.

Where can you get the OS for Free (Windows 7)

Im a 4th year electrical engineering student at UT Austin, so we get access to all kinds of free microsoft software for developing, coding, servers, etc!!

...one of which is free Windows 7 Pro anytime via download:)

I just gotta say something.

Your missing an Opperating system, a monitor, a mouse, SoundCard (maybe), Keyboard, and something I cant think of ATM.

He stated he didn't need any of those.

Im a 4th year electrical engineering student at UT Austin, so we get access to all kinds of free microsoft software for developing, coding, servers, etc!!

...one of which is free Windows 7 Pro anytime via download:)

You sir, are lucky. >.<
I wish I had free downloads for Windows 7.
I wish Linux supported more games. I'd totally go for that.
But in the mean time, I still need to figure out how to use it. :p

A gaming laptop is never a good investment unless you are never at home and simply can't have a desktop.

You _could_ build a i5 (i7 if you've got a microcenter in town for the $200 i7 930) rig for that cost, but you would probably have to cut some corners and find a lot of used parts -- monitors etc. I would recommend waiting for Sandy Bridge (next gen Intel cpus -- probably around Christmas) and re-evaluate then. Especially if you are happy with what you've got. The games you are listing are not very hardware intensive.

Back