Lets talk Internet Security

OK so i was having a discussion in game with someone about internet security. So I figured, How about we see what eGO does to protect their woreless or internet connections. So guys. What do you guys do or use to protect your connections? Or what trick do you guys use? Any tips that you could pass onto other eGO members to help them out? Put them all here.

-Look at what websites you are going to
-Think about what you are downloading
-Use your brain / common sense

I just put a password on my wireless. That's it.
As for when browsing the internet, I don't really go around too much, mostly this forum, 3 others, and MySpace/Facebook. That's generally it. I only download from reputable sources.

Computer: McAfee Internet Security + Threatfire + Windows 7
Also MalwareBytes scans on a weekly basis just to be extra secure.

Router: WPA2 + MAC Filtering + SSID Broadcasting Turned Off

ShadowBlade gets what i mean here. I want you guys to be more specific like he did.

As for mine WPA2+MAC Filter.

Whats SSID Broadcasting? My router told me this

If Enabled, the Wireless RouterSSID will broadcast its name (SSID) to all Wireless Stations. Stations which have no SSID (or a "null" value) can then adopt the correct SSID for connections to this Access Point.

Can anyone explain in english?

ShadowBlade gets what i mean here. I want you guys to be more specific like he did.

As for mine WPA2+MAC Filter.

Whats SSID Broadcasting? My router told me this

Can anyone explain in english?

I'm not sure correct me if wrong, But i think when you turn it off it doesn't let wireless stuff connect to your router such as a psp/wii/xbox/Laptops/Desktops that sort of stuff.

I'm not sure correct me if wrong, But i think when you turn it off it doesn't let wireless stuff connect to your router such as a psp/wii/xbox/Laptops/Desktops that sort of stuff.

SSID Broadcasting is kind of like a loud speaker announcing that your access point is there.

When you turn it off, you can still connect to it, but you just have to know what it's named.

Disabling SSID Broadcasting is just another layer of security.

But to answer your question you can still connect to an access point of SSID Broadcasting is turned off. You just have to manually set up the connection.

SSID Broadcasting is kind of like a loud speaker announcing that your access point is there.

When you turn it off, you can still connect to it, but you just have to know what it's named.

Disabling SSID Broadcasting is just another layer of security.

But to answer your question you can still connect to an access point of SSID Broadcasting is turned off. You just have to manually set up the connection.

Ah that makes sense, but i wont do that because i have other people on this network and they probably dont know the name of the network. I wont tell them either because then they over complicate it since they arent as tech savvy as i am

I used to disable SSID broadcast back in the day, but I've realized it is pointless.

Contrary to a common belief that the SSID is a WLAN security feature and its exposure a security risk, the SSID is nothing more than a wireless-space group label. It cannot be successfully hidden. Attempts to hide it will not only fail, but will negatively impact WLAN performance, and may result in additional exposure of the SSID to passive scanning. The performance impact of this misguided effort will be felt in multiple WLAN scenarios, including simple operations like joining a WLAN, and in significantly longer roaming times. Trying to hide the SSID does not strengthen security in WLANs. The scarce resources of today?s WLAN administrator are better spent tuning WLAN performance and operations with full SSID usage, and enhancing WLAN security by deploying modern security technology, such as link-layer encryption, and IEEE 802.1X authentication

[1] http://www.library.cornell.edu/dlit/ds/links/cit/redrover/ssid/wp_ssid_hiding.pdf
[2] http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/1211.aspx

I'm majoring in computer programming and design, also my cousin and my father both know many programming languages inside and out (cousin knows every language i have ever heard of and my father can program anything on a Windows computer), so they worked together to make custom firmware for my Lynksys router and crappy Century Link outdated Modem. The original Firmware actually had a virus uploaded into it, so they wiped the Firmware, downloaded new Firmware from the websites accordingly, and i have no clue how but tweaked it to have some serious security settings, though it gets annoying as i have to manually hack into the router fairly often to re-open the ports for gaming.

Also to keep people off of our wireless my Father setup a 256 bit encryption key on our password, and a detection system that can tell us how many computer are using the Internet, their IP, and their computer name.

Yes my family is extreme about security.

Personal PCs and policies:
-Wireless is WPA2-PSK
-Complex 8 char minimum password requirements with a symbol capital letter and a number
-Password rotation every 90 days for email and every 180 for online services
-PGP Whole Disk Encryption for my netbook (evil maid attack). Universal Shield for desktop, I have a second 500GB drive encrypted that has sensitive docs, etc...
-Always lock your PC while not in use.
-WOT (Web of Trust) browser add-on, AdBlock, HTTPS Anywhere, private/incognito browsing for sensitive things and TOR + GhostSurf (double-proxy ?!) for ultra-sensitive (pages load like 56k but you're invisible).
-CCleaner to clean Cookies/Temporary files
-I have PGP keys for email, but I don't really use them anymore.

On my linux server and home network:

-No DMZ, only router-set forwarded ports
-Squid proxy, Snort IDS/IPS for network intrusion
-Web, DNS servers (never fall victim to DNS poisoning), caching.
-NESSUS vulnerability scans every other week.

Tips:
-Disable remote login on your router, especially if you have FIOS or Comcast.
-Change your password to your router also. Your wireless password is meaningless if you don't secure the login to the router.
-Configure updates to download automatically, but do not install. Install as soon as you can.
-If you want to significantly decrease your risk of infection or compromise, stay away from P2P.
-Check Recent Activity on your gmail accounts, make sure the sessions appear to be your own.
-NEVER click links that you are suspicious of. If you think the link is fishy, take it to the URLVoid link scanner (http://urlvoid.com/) to scan the site (did you just click on the link? BAD! Google it first, verify WOT and make sure it's safe first!) or Anubis simulator, (http://anubis.iseclab.org/) to detect malicious scripts/ActiveX plugins etc, or the PhishTank (http://www.phishtank.com/)
-Make sure your programs are all up-to date. Download a program that detects your applications and finds updates for them (I won't spoil the cool thread that's being cooked up for this).

Notes:

-Do not fall victim to social engineering, shoulder surfing, phishing, etc. Be smart about what you do on the web and you'll be fine.
-Did you know that over 800,000 people have Top Secret government clearances? That's more people than the population of D.C. How is this relevant? Well, I'm just saying.... I do this stuff for a living.

Last edited:
Wow ron, an intense amount of detail there. I dont see how you come up with effective passwords every so often. I have enough trouble coming up with one.

Wow ron, an intense amount of detail there. I dont see how you come up with effective passwords every so often. I have enough trouble coming up with one.

pretty easy, I take two root words, for example hockey and cake, combine them in ways and mix in the special symbols:

H0ck3ycake!

!C4k3h0ckey

!1Hock3yc4ke

Hock3Y4C4k3!

impossible to brute force these passwords, even if you know the root words

Im like you, but i found this website that randomly creates a png of different letters and symbols which you can print out. It also suggests that you pick a row or mix it up.

Im like you, but i found this website that randomly creates a png of different letters and symbols which you can print out. It also suggests that you pick a row or mix it up.

I would have trouble trusting that site, even if it's a PNG, captcha-reading technology is not full-proof. And a print-out? What do you do with it then memorize and destroy it or lock that in a safe? Is the combination to the safe written down also?

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention the multiple stickies on computer and internet security, here at eGO. My apologies if this gets your thread locked lol:

Hacked/Phished accounts, eGO, and you
http://edgegamers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66273

Avoid Getting Hacked! Computer Security 101
http://edgegamers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

Essential Tools: A Definitive List
http://edgegamers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103999

I use Avast!!!

Definetly the BEST free security for your PC, blocks any and all suspicious sites, scans PC once a day (you can even set it to boot, scan, turn off :) )

I have Mal-Ware Bits, and also SpyBot, Search and Destroy.

My wireless has an 8 Digit PW WPA2, resets every 90 days, via my personal E-mail.

I use Avast!!!

Definetly the BEST free security for your PC, blocks any and all suspicious sites, scans PC once a day (you can even set it to boot, scan, turn off :) )

I have Mal-Ware Bits, and also SpyBot, Search and Destroy.

My wireless has an 8 Digit PW WPA2, resets every 90 days, via my personal E-mail.

Its time for you good sir to try out COMODO Internet Security, It does everything you stated. I has a sandbox mode in which it runs suspicious programs or processes to make sure they are safe without harming your computer. It notifies me if a program is making changes to any sort of file. It also notifies me of connections that try to go in and out of my computer. So if someone tries to connect to my laptop, i get a notification I simply tell the firewall to block the connection and simple as that no breach in security. Malware Bites and Spybot were really impressive to me I use IObit Security 360 to take care of the smaller threats. Advanced System Care to clean files and run other miscellaneous process to keep my laptop running at tip top shape.

I maintain my network for my family, and I've set up a WPA2 password encryption. Also to monitor my network traffic, I use Wireshark (great freeware program I recommend to anyone who wants to sniff their network)

Back