Current DE Project: De_dust3

Trippey

Poster Extraordinaire
I have been working on this map for about 3 hours, it is a totally new layout. Here is what I have so far.

dedust60001.png

dedust60002.png

dedust60003.png

Please change the name. I say this for two reasons:

1. No one will be able to respect the map in its own right, no matter how good it is. We all know it's based off of de_dust due to the textures and ambient style, so there is no need to put it in the name. You will, very likely, get huge amounts of flame for making a blatant copy of two of the most respected community maps in the history of Counter_Strike. I would suggest giving it a name that expands on its location or gives the map some history, which would make it more creative, and more your own.

2. The creator of de_dust should really be the only one using the name. He made two very high quality maps by using mostly (if not only) custom textures and props. I think he deserves the "rights" to the de_dust name, simply because of the immense amount of creativity and work that he put into those maps at the time. Think about it - the desert city theme didn't exist before de_dust. Everything in there was custom made. Don't we all owe it to him to let him keep the de_dust name?

I mean no offense at all to you. The map looks quite interesting and I believe that it will be fun to play when all the mapwork is done. I just have a strong respect for the guy who made de_dust, because he did what I hope to do eventually. I just think we should leave the de_dust name to him out of respect for his work.

-Evicted

1. No one will be able to respect the map in its own right, no matter how good it is. We all know it's based off of de_dust due to the textures and ambient style, so there is no need to put it in the name. You will, very likely, get huge amounts of flame for making a blatant copy of two of the most respected community maps in the history of Counter_Strike. I would suggest giving it a name that expands on its location or gives the map some history, which would make it more creative, and more your own.

2. The creator of de_dust should really be the only one using the name. He made two very high quality maps by using mostly (if not only) custom textures and props. I think he deserves the "rights" to the de_dust name, simply because of the immense amount of creativity and work that he put into those maps at the time. Think about it - the desert city theme didn't exist before de_dust. Everything in there was custom made. Don't we all owe it to him to let him keep the de_dust name?

I mean no offense at all to you. The map looks quite interesting and I believe that it will be fun to play when all the mapwork is done. I just have a strong respect for the guy who made de_dust, because he did what I hope to do eventually. I just think we should leave the de_dust name to him out of respect for his work.

-Evicted

I sort of agree

-Evicted

Any Ideas on Names?

Any Ideas on Names?

While I was typing a post about how I didn't have an idea, I got an idea (love it when that happens). I also thought of a way you could define your map from de_dust. If you were to build a river running through the town, you could call the map de_Nile, de_oasis, or something along those lines. This would also not only give your map it's own distinct visual element, but also provide and interesting gameplay twist (height difference, or something else depending on how you build the surrounding area). This would also give you a quick bit of backstory to expand on, because you could instantly assume that this is the only water supply for miles, and the counter terrorists control it, which could be a part of the terrorists' motivation to fight over the city.

Let me know what you think of the idea.

-Evicted

While I was typing a post about how I didn't have an idea, I got an idea (love it when that happens). I also thought of a way you could define your map from de_dust. If you were to build a river running through the town, you could call the map de_Nile, de_oasis, or something along those lines. This would also not only give your map it's own distinct visual element, but also provide and interesting gameplay twist (height difference, or something else depending on how you build the surrounding area). This would also give you a quick bit of backstory to expand on, because you could instantly assume that this is the only water supply for miles, and the counter terrorists control it, which could be a part of the terrorists' motivation to fight over the city.

Let me know what you think of the idea.

-Evicted

Really like the idea, I actually might do this.

Lookin' nice, I might suggest a different skybox though. The number of clouds in the sky might make people wonder how it could possibly be a desert. Is that the office sky?

Lookin' nice, I might suggest a different skybox though. The number of clouds in the sky might make people wonder how it could possibly be a desert. Is that the office sky?

When I do mapping the sky-box is usually one of the last things I do. Currently I just have what ever hammer gave me, some default sky-box.

Back