I'm interested in buying a gaming pc... (eventually)

mdgrim

EGO Addict
Mostly because of the fact that the computer I currently use... Is the family computer, which was never meant for gaming (and has pretty fail stats). Now I doubt I will be buying anything like this soon as finding a job and saving money must happen first haha. Anyways, I'm thinking $2000 is the MAX amount I would want to spend, currently this is what I have found that has caught my attention :p let me know what you guys think and what items you would recommend (Just so you know, I am a noob when it comes to tech stuff lol)

desktop: http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desk...spx?refid=alienware-aurora&s=dhs&cs=19&~ck=mn
monitor: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=4941827

Here are my current specs... :facewall:

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Hard Drive: 222 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

Monitor: Dell E197FP

Sound Card: Speakers / Headphones (2- SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC)

Operating System: Windows Vista? Home Premium

Build one good sir!
Build it with your bare hands, cut the wood with your hands, shape the metal with your teeth and power it, not with electricity but the sweat from your own manly abs

Build one good sir!
Build it with your bare hands, cut the wood with your hands, shape the metal with your teeth and power it, not with electricity but the sweat from your own manly abs

o_O?!.... right.... *points at the "is noob at tech stuff" of the 1st post*

Last edited:
If you can build one it would cost you a lot less and you feel a sense of accomplishment in doing so instead of buying one

ALL I can say is DON'T buy an alienware or dell their customer support is TERRIBLE I've been trying to get my video card fixed for 3 and a half months and still nothing from them and their overpriced you might like it in the beginning but as soon as something breaks you'll regret it trust me

Please don't buy an alienware, we could probably build any of those rigs for half the price. Building computers aren't hard, it's basically put x in slot x. It's all labeled.

I built my first rig when I was like 12. It's not as hard as your making it out to be.

We can pick the parts, with a $2000 price we can get you some awesome parts to make a rig.

Keep your options open on brand if you're not going to build, you should look into Falcon Northwest. Pound for pound I believe they have Alienware beat in quality in cases and components. May spend a little more money but it's worth it IMO.

well I only put up one set of multiple items I looked at =p Doesn't mean I was set on alienware

Keep your options open on brand if you're not going to build, you should look into Falcon Northwest. Pound for pound I believe they have Alienware beat in quality in cases and components. May spend a little more money but it's worth it IMO.

I decided to take you word and looked up their products... Using http://build.falcon-nw.com/ from their site I put together a affordable talon with very nice (at least to me) system specs.

System Details

Keyboard - Logitech G-110
Mouse - Logitech Optical
Chassis - Talon - Standard Black
Surge Protector - APC Performance SurgeArrest
Power Supply - 1000 Watt Modular
Motherboard - P7P55D-E Pro
Processor - Core i7 870 2.93GHz
Processor Cooler - Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
Memory - 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) - Radeon 5770 (1GB)
Hard Drive - 500GB - 7200RPM
Optical Drive - 22x DVD Writer
64-Bit Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium
Warranty - 1 Year Warranty - Parts and Service
Monitor - 22" 1680x1050
Speakers - Logitech Z-320 2.0 10 Watt

Total System Price: $2189.93

Last edited:
I am really not big on the whole building you computer thing as I am quite certain it would not go as planned. You guys are underestimating how fail I am at tech/electronics. I know how to operate most of them, thats about it lol

o_O?!.... right.... *points at the "is noob at tech stuff" of the 1st post*

find a local pc shop and have them build one for you and DO NOT i repeat DO NOT trust dell for your gaming needs you are spending WAY to much for it and they use crap parts

Look at IBuyPower then, they have much better prices then Dell/Alienware. Plus they use consumer products in their builds (eVGA, Asus etc) but Dell/Alienware use their own cheaply made parts.

well I only put up one set of multiple items I looked at =p Doesn't mean I was set on alienware

I decided to take you word and looked up their products... Using http://build.falcon-nw.com/ from their site I put together a affordable talon with very nice (at least to me) system specs.

System Details

Mouse - Logitech Optical
Monitor - 22" 1680x1050

That rig is pretty terribly overpriced, getting a really low end graphics card and not even the highest socket.

If you really can't build, use www.cyberpowerpc.com - customize it then run the build by us. www.Cyberpowerpc.com and www.Ibuypower.com are the second best option to building.

Gamer Paladin E870
Case ( CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case - Black )
Processor ( Intel? Core? i7 870 Processor (4x 2.93GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
Processor Cooling ( [Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [SOCKET-1156] )
Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 5870 - 1GB - Single Card )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 )
Power Supply ( 750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX Power Supply - SLI Ready )
Primary Hard Drive ( 40 GB Intel X25-V MLC SSD - Single Drive )
Data Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD?R/?RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )

$1779

System Details

Mouse - Logitech Optical
Monitor - 22" 1680x1050

No. Just no. Too much mark up for such a bad and quite frankly, unbalanced computer.

AlienWare is Overrated, build it, like someone said, X part in X slot, im building one, and we have Phobus, so were safe :p

I swear I'm famous. :p

I am really not big on the whole building you computer thing as I am quite certain it would not go as planned. You guys are underestimating how fail I am at tech/electronics. I know how to operate most of them, thats about it lol

So? That's more than enough knowledge. I mean geez, if you think it's so hard, I could send you a guide of how to build one. It is insanely easy, and you'll smack yourself for thinking it's so complicated.

If you want to build one, I would gladly help you with that, as $2000 is a fun budget for a build. ^_^

Build pc, it's that simple, if you can't build one, then find someplace or one who can build it for you, but for the love of GOD, don't buy pre-made PC's (*cough* Dell * cough* )

also, my pc has a bunch better layout, 1722.30$ final price (including shipping + tax and watercooling.

If you were any good at matching colors using legos as a child, you can build a computer with ease. If not, I'd be willing to help you out step by step. computers AREN'T easy to break, unless you REALLY force something in the wrong slot. Or you discharge it. the only thing I've noticed beginners have a problem with is thermal paste

Back