Steam games fail to launch.

Gunney

Forum Fiend
Anyone that can provide a WORKING fix for this I would be very thankful to. None of my steam games will launch, the "Preparing to launch" box shows up for 3 seconds and then goes off and nothing happens. In the past 2 days i've reinstalled steam 3 times(games included), verified cache files, defragged the games, even taken my anti-virus off because it conflicts with steam. To NO avail. So if you have an idea that hasn't been exhausted by me please provide it. Otherwise im pretty much up a creek without a paddle on playing any of my games. This happened out of the blue and for no apparent reason.

Thank you for your time,

Gunney

I had the same exact issue but only DoD:S was affected by the problem. I went to steam support and they couldnt tell me anything that would fix it. I dont remember doing anything to fix DoD:S and it just randomly started working again one day. Just keep trying different things out. Try deleting the ClientRegistry.blob file in your steam file. Other than that i dont know what to tell you. Just keep trying anything that comes to your mind and hopefully you find a solution.

When you uninstalled and reinstalled Steam, did you also delete and reinstall your games? I would try one, a smaller one. Or when you uninstalled Steam did you actually go in and delete the remaining folders left behind, that keep all your games and game saves and preferences, etc?

Delete the clientregistry.blob in the Steam folder (C:/program files x86/steam if your on 64 bit OS or C:/program files/steam if your on 32 bit OS still). I'm assuming steam is installed on default c: drive. If that doesn't work, also delete AppUpdateStats.blob and restart steam.

Make sure steam isn't running when you do that. Then restart afterwards. If you think steam is still running, press ctrl+alt+delete>>click the processes tab>>and find steam.exe and kill that process.

Back