TF2 may include weapon customization in future update!

This was hinted at a very long time ago, right when they started adding the drop system. During that whole "OMG TF2 is gonna be an RPG I'll never play it again" phase that some of the community went through.

It would be interesting to do it on a point system.

e.g.:

You're allowed to have 5 points of 'stuff' on the weapon. Good effects add points, bad effects take them away. So, say I wanted to make a new rocket launcher. I'd decrease the clip size by 50%, and it would give me 5 points back, allowing a 10 point effect. Then I'd add DH damage with no reduced splash, which happened to cost 10 points. Or, I could add a bleed effect on hit for the same cost.

If they could get that sort of system to work, cool stuff could happen. Hey, making rockets cause bleeding at range is never a bad thing, right? :D

Dread a bleeding rocket would be awesome

And that's just one of the many, many possibilities. rockets that make people bleed, pistols that induce mini-crits (tradeoff- little to no damage), arrows that give teammates crits for a given amount of time (tradeoff- no offensive capability)...

If you had the points system that I'm talking about, as long as you have a creative mind and they have a well developed points system to not allow blatantly overpowered weapons, it would be very cool.

Interestingly, I clicked on a link by accident and it mentioned the possibility of custom skins being allowed in sv_pure servers. Now, I'm not sure if our servers are sv_pure or not (I know our INS servers used to be at least), but custom skins is one of the main advantages of sv_pure. People use glow skins and such that allow an in-game advantage. I'd be interested in seeing what that's all about.

As for customizing weapons, I can see it happening CoD style since it's already been play-tested extensively that way.

Interestingly, I clicked on a link by accident and it mentioned the possibility of custom skins being allowed in sv_pure servers. Now, I'm not sure if our servers are sv_pure or not (I know our INS servers used to be at least), but custom skins is one of the main advantages of sv_pure. People use glow skins and such that allow an in-game advantage. I'd be interested in seeing what that's all about.

As for customizing weapons, I can see it happening CoD style since it's already been play-tested extensively that way.

It's mentioned in the steam forums, might even be in the linked thread.

However, they were thinking of making sv_pure support "Official" skins. I take that to mean skins that have been looked at by valve and proven to not enhance gameplay in any way.

It would be interesting to do it on a point system.

e.g.:

You're allowed to have 5 points of 'stuff' on the weapon. Good effects add points, bad effects take them away. So, say I wanted to make a new rocket launcher. I'd decrease the clip size by 50%, and it would give me 5 points back, allowing a 10 point effect. Then I'd add DH damage with no reduced splash, which happened to cost 10 points. Or, I could add a bleed effect on hit for the same cost.

If they could get that sort of system to work, cool stuff could happen. Hey, making rockets cause bleeding at range is never a bad thing, right? :D

I think that's a good idea for a game, period, not just tf2.

I think that's a good idea for a game, period, not just tf2.

Yeah, I think it's a good concept, and for this reason:

Essentially, we're currently allowed a bunch of choice in strategy. For instance, with the soldier, we're allowed to choose whether direct damage or splash damage is more important, and choose a weapon based on that. For medic, we're allowed to choose whether kritzing or ubering is more pertinent to our strategy. Adding a point system and having a list of effects you can 'buy' significantly increases the number of possibilities we have to play with.

The problem, however, is that so many possibilities can be unbalancing. It doesn't take very much of a miscalculation to allow for, say, a rocket launcher with 1 loaded shot that does direct hit damage along with bleed and fire at the same time, for instance. The problem is that people will find a way to get whatever they want if the system allows for it.

I mean, look at me. I would try my hardest to get DoT effects into ranged weapons, because it would give a significant advantage... Hit someone with it before you get anywhere near them and then they'll be taking damage the whole time. That's ONE strategy I've thought up; any number of other players could think up any number of unbalancing things, if the system allows.

It would be very, very delicate work on the part of valve, and my thought is that if it happened, it would start with only a few effects, and they would add them incrementally to see how they affect the game. It could very well break the game if they got it too wrong. For instance: If you think bleeding rockets are bad, what about a minigun that sets you on fire? You'd die even faster, and it would make the heavy even more powerful; not something they want.

This sounds awesome and if it's true and done correctly it'll be awesome but if Valve screws up the game will be so much worse...

noooooo.gif

Back