Bought a couple Notebooks yesterday... lemme know what you think

dbee

Forum Fiend
Ok, first my dads Gateway NV53 which i bought at the last minute with its athlon x2 cpu has started losing power more and more often. Only 8 months old, It is not overheating, i have tried with and without the battery . Had the same problem with another gateway with an AMD cpu in the past. My fathers would stay in the same spot on a hard surface with both intake and exhaust clear. Enough is enough, found this guy at bestbuy to be a pretty sweet deal for what it is... All he does is use it for the internet .

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...9&skuId=1084741&st=toshiba 4gb ddr3&cp=1&lp=3

Went over to MC to buy another for the business to see what they had in a smaller size and came across this one which i absolutely love. This one below is a helluva deal as well as the one above.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334963

Neither of these are replacements for the M11x im craving...

Last edited:
Haha, sounds like Australia's GST tax of 10%. Silly number, as it makes everything more expensive then it should be.

If you are in need of a laptop specifically just for like, Word Documents, and Internet and the odd DVD/Video, then the Toshiba would serve you well for that purpose. It has all the abilities to do all of these things, plus, it has a bigger HDD. If you wanted to stretch your budget a little more for a little more power and a smaller HDD (??), then the HP is equally as good a catch. But I'd recommend the Toshiba.

The Bestbuy Toshiba is not that bad, and it's price is amazing! They still having that Deal instores or do you have to buy online?

Asus 1201N - i LOVE mine, sure the price is high, but ION video and dual core cpu with HT, my Asus 1000HE was nice at first, but really just didn;t cut it to do anything useful.

Just any FYI, toshiba's over the years are well known for overheating issues on their laptops with out any fixes.

Asus 1201N - i LOVE mine, sure the price is high, but ION video and dual core cpu with HT, my Asus 1000HE was nice at first, but really just didn;t cut it to do anything useful.

Just any FYI, toshiba's over the years are well known for overheating issues on their laptops with out any fixes.

proof? all toshiba's i've owned/worked with have been fine

in CA it is almost 10% so buying from anywhere with tax is pretty impractical. :facewall:

The %9 isn't actually that bad. Plus considering the leadership of the legislature is going straight down the gutter, it will help everyone get back on their feet over time... hopefully...

The %9 isn't actually that bad. Plus considering the leadership of the legislature is going straight down the gutter, it will help everyone get back on their feet over time... hopefully...

Thinking in a capitalistic way, saving money=better. To me, if i spend 24$ on tax, I could have bought a laptop that was $24 better from a site that doesn't charge sales tax.

and for me the 9.25% is a deal-breaker on most newegg deals.

The last $399 toshiba i purchased is still in use to this day, yes it does not feel as sturdy as it once was but works great. That one is about 5-7 years old and only needs a new battery. The Toshiba i purchased a couple days ago is pretty much staying in one spot and not going anywhere, in a very clean ,air filtered basement. If you mean by overheating the vents getting clogged it should be as simple as taking off a few screws and getting to the dust bunnies. Cant say for sure yet if this one is capable of it but im sure most notebooks are.

I think that deal may be in store only and is good through Saturday at least, if it isnt the regular price.

The HP is awesome i love it. Has pretty much everything YAY a fingerprint reader so my customers think im cool.

proof? all toshiba's i've owned/worked with have been fine

Proof for me was our companies 4 Toshiba laptops we own, satellite series they all would over heat even after various bios updates to fix fan speeds

http://www.google.co.cr/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=toshiba+laptops+overheating

will give you many others with the issue, now mind you this was about 3 years ago, not sure how they are now but it left a bad taste in my mouth so i avoid Toshiba now.

Back