A bit of help pls

babyJam

Website Brigadier
Ok im currently running a super old version of xp home... i got a new HD coming tommorow with a new copy of Win7 64bit..

im wondering whats the best way to install the new HD and win7 on my pc while keeping the other hd there so i can xsfer needed files and such to the new one. was told windows pretty much does it on its own but i wanna come some good tips from the masters on this forum...okok no butt kissing.. but yeah any help u guys can toss me.. and i can jump on vent later in the week if it would be easier to expo if someone has some good stuff....

let me know!!

holla!

makethssnd

Rookie Poster
So, just so i understand, you have an old hard drive with an existing XP install and your files on it, and you bought a new hard drive and a copy of windows 7 x64?

If thats the case, just take the old hard drive out for the time being and put the new one in, install windows 7, then put the old drive in as a slave afterwards. At that point it would just get another drive letter, probably E or F.
Then you can copy your files and then wipe it and start fresh.

An interesting thing to note. It can be advantageous to have your operating system run on one drive, and all your programs on another drive. This helps to alleviate issues with seek time and paging.

babyJam

Website Brigadier
hmmm.. thanks for the tips man.. just got my stuf today so gonna install it tommorow... if i run into any probs ill post back

mattM_-

Famous Poster
So, just so i understand, you have an old hard drive with an existing XP install and your files on it, and you bought a new hard drive and a copy of windows 7 x64?

If thats the case, just take the old hard drive out for the time being and put the new one in, install windows 7, then put the old drive in as a slave afterwards. At that point it would just get another drive letter, probably E or F.
Then you can copy your files and then wipe it and start fresh.

An interesting thing to note. It can be advantageous to have your operating system run on one drive, and all your programs on another drive. This helps to alleviate issues with seek time and paging.
Exactly why my Velociraptor holds my OS and only uses 10% of my entire HDD. And exactly why my next purchase will be a pair of SSDs running in RAID0. :-D