Intelligent Weapon Discussion #4: Pyro's Secondary

Which weapon do you prefer to use in the Pyro's Secondary Slot?

• Shotgun

• Flaregun

• Total voters

Dreadmaker

EGO Addict
Hey folks.... it's that time again. What do you prefer to use: the flare gun or the shotgun, and why?

Reminder about the purposes of this thread: Remember, this isn't 'which weapon is better', it's 'which weapon do you prefer and why'. The idea behind these threads is to open up other players' minds to the possibility that what they are using isn't the only option, and to allow people who are just arbitrarily using something because they haven't really thought about it to hear some discussion on the subject. That means, by the way, that constructive 'discussion' is preferred. Just saying the name of the weapon isn't all that useful; that's why we have a poll ;)

Flaregun stats, as a reminder:

• shoots a flare which acts as a projectile (i.e. it adheres to gravity)
  • flare does minimal damage on hit, but ignites target
  • automatically mini-crits if the person is already on fire
  • automatically crits if the persons is on fire and is hit at long range

So, what weapon do you prefer?

shotgun because its a shotgun. actually i dont rly have a reason. a while ago i crafted all my flareguns and stuck to shotty then. but i never use secondary so meh :cool:

Since I'm the first one to vote Flaregun...

I like using my flaregun because it's more powerful at longer ranges than the shotgun. It's good for harassing Snipers, Heavies, enemies running away. Plus, the mini-crit/crit on already-burning enemies is awesome.

That said, if the other team is heavy on the pyros, I'll switch back to the shotgun.

Since I'm the first one to vote Flaregun...

I like using my flaregun because it's more powerful at longer ranges than the shotgun. It's good for harassing Snipers, Heavies, enemies running away. Plus, the mini-crit/crit on already-burning enemies is awesome.

That said, if the other team is heavy on the pyros, I'll switch back to the shotgun.
This^^^ :)

I'll admit, the Flaregun is just more fun. I mean, when I'm playing Pyro, I'm not exactly trying to...win anyway. My primary loadout for Pyro is Flamethrower, Flaregun, and Homewrecker, and most of the time I run around alternating between my Flaregun and hammer (mostly using hammer).

But for pure practical reasons, Shotgun's your best bet. It's simply a lot more reliable.

OMGWTFBBQ.png

I used to stick to shotty because it's easy to kill off burning enemies. But in the last two weeks, I've stuck to the flare gun simply because its way more entertaining.

Personally i find the shotgun more satisfying and more entertaining to use than the axtinguisher.
Airblast someone up, shotgun them on the way down. Usually kills 'em.

I never had good enough accuracy as pyro to use flare gun effectively, so I stuck to shotgun and I love it :biggrin:

Flaregun. I don't play pyro often but I'd honestly much rather face a pyro with a shotgun than a pyro with a flaregun. Pyros with flareguns tend to know how to use them in my experience. They set me on fire, I run away, then they hit me with a flare and I get mini critted. It can do a lot of damage if you use it in combination with the other weapons. Good pyros scare me the most :p

I switch on and off between the two. I go though phases of whichever one I use (I'm in a shotgun mood now)
My vote will go for Flare Gun though. I like being able to Flamethrower someone up close, then having crits against them if I need to run away. Messing with Snipers is fun as well.

shotgun is much better, its easier to aim, easy to kill burning enemies, bullets aren't effected by gravity, shoots faster, is able to be used underwater, great for killing people up close, and a lot more.

The pyro isnt meant to be a long range class, which makes the flare gun even more useless. besides, I can always reflect the flares that are shot at me :)

Honestly, I don't really use my secondary all that much. I prefer the shotgun as it is more accurate and can be used on maps with water, so that you're not completely usless if you fall in the water. I currently have the flaregun equiped, just fo the fact of playing the league and others, where I need a long-distance connection to my targets. :)

I pretty much just use the flamethrower with the air-blast and the Axetinquisher.

Depends on the map. On maps like Well and 2Fort where swimming is a viable option, the shotgun is a must simply because the flaregun will not work underwater. Most maps do not have a substantial water section, or have water sections that are not engagement areas (BlackMesa) so then it becomes a matter of range. On tight maps with lots of close encounters like Turbine and Mesa I think you are better off with the shotty. However, on maps with longer ranges like Dustbowl and Upwards, the flaregun is probably a better choice.

I voted for shotgun, but only because I tend to play on maps where the shotgun is the better choice; not because I think the shotgun is a better weapon overall.

I actually use both. It all depends on what map I'm playing, and even what routes I take really. On 2fort I will use the shotgun if I'm having axe fun time, and I will use the flare gun if I am playing up above. I like them both.

In my books, flaregun goes under the 'most satisfying weapons' category. I only have about 24 hours as a pyro; not much by my standards, so I don't really play it very often. However, when I do, I tend to go shotty.

However, because I'm a pretty terrible pyro, I tend to use the flaregun when I want to mess around. When I hit someone with the flaregun, especially if they're moving, I'm just totally stoked... I just break into a smile. The only thing that's more satisfying to me is nailing someone with the huntsman; I suck really hard at that, too, and it's really satisfying to 'robin hood' someone in the face.

So, I can't really advocate for either; I feel the shotgun is more practical, but the flaregun is WAAAAAY more fun.

This is the first weapon poll in which I'm really torn. I used Flare Gun forever, and have had some amazing results. But I recently decided to try shotgun again, and have gotten equally amazing results, especially in competitive play. I really am stuck between the two.

Back