Looking for AR-15/m4 rifle *Need your opinion*

HeadShot

Website Zealot
=(eGO)=
Hi all,

Im looking to buy a brand new Ar-15/m4 rifle. Im asking if anyone of you have experiences with diffrent types of brands. Im looking at the Smith and Wesson, Black Rain, Ruger, and possibly LMT. I would like my budget to be between $1000-$1600

Some pics of what I like:

So please if anyone has tips on which brand is the best in "Quality-performance/price" or any guns that you would like to suggest please let me know.

Major Winters

Rookie Poster
The one I shot was a Smith And Wesson Semi-Automatic AR-15, not much kick we were just shooting at some Pop Bottles filled with water but it almost blew it in half so I like Smith And Wesson.

HeadShot

Website Zealot
=(eGO)=
Yah, Smith and wesson is the brand Im leaning towards to right now, but keep em coming fellas. I need details before I purchase

DigitalDJ

Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes.
=(eGO)=
Heres my build

- LaRue Tactical 5.56mm DMR-16 upper w/ 4 way free float tube and Sommers G6 Vortex flash hider.
- Spikes Tactical ST-15 lower w/ LaRue UDE grip
- Magpul CTR stock and mag
- Troy Industries folding battle sights
- EoTech 512.A65 holographic sight
- LaRue Tactical foregrip
- Surefire C2 Centurion light
^this setup will cost you over 2g, but if you build your own you will save money.

Personally id go with S&W. Their M&P rifles are very well built for the money. If ur looking for a good cheap company, check out DPMS or DanielDefense. PM me if u need help or have any questions.

Last edited:

XXzz-Trauma-zzXX

I need to go outside
The one I shot that you see in my thread was the sniper rifle version of this gun. It was manufactured by DMPS Panther Arms. Not sure exactly what model though. My cousins friend had pretty much upgraded everything in the gun from stock up to the best parts on the market right now.

From my experience I loved the gun. Very fun and nice to shoot. Has a very manageable recoil. The Sniper rifle version is also semi automatic too so its a very nice gun. I dont have any experience with the Assault Rifle variation of the AR-15 though.

Last edited:

Badfish

Famous Poster
I like em all to be honest, But I haven't shot any of them. What kinda permits are required for something like this?

DigitalDJ

=(eGO)=
Its all state dependent, I live in NC, so i can just go buy one at the store and get it the same day. Some states like NY and California have very strict regulations on the rifle itself (Pinning the stock to full length, welding muzzle break on) some states do not allow the sale of AR-15's all together. Check ur local gun stores and see if your state will sell you one.

DrBackJack

Poster
I like em all to be honest, But I haven't shot any of them. What kinda permits are required for something like this?
The Bill of Rights is the only permit you need... Unless you live in a *cough* state.

The one I shot that you see in my thread was the sniper rifle version of this gun.
Don't say that word!!! That's how the 1986 ban came to be.

To the OP, Since when was this a firearms forum?:p I suggest you build it yourself. But you have a few options:

1. Buy everything stock such as from DPMS or S&W, etc.
2. Build the lower yourself and buy an upper. Saves a little money over option 1 and more custimization.
3. Build the lower but also collect all the items you need for the upper and send it to a reputable AR15smith such as ADCO. Saves money over option 1 and 2 and the most customization.

I suggest option two since (I'm guessing) you are new to AR15s. This is what is required for a AR15 build similar to those pictures with option two.

1. Complete upper: $500 to $1500 depending on quality.
2. Stripped lower and LPK: $180
3. Multiple position carbine receiver extension: $40
4. Stock itself: $70 for the one in the pictures you posted. Magpul MOE
5.BUIS: $90- MBUS
6. Cantilever mount and knockoff Aimpoint: $110

For uppers, I suggest looking into ADCO and Bravocompany. They both provide high quality and affordable complete uppers.

For the knockoff Aimpoint and mount, I suggest Primary Arms as their knockoffs are still pretty darn good optics, I would run them any day.

Further links you will probably want for questions directly regarded to ADCO, Primary Arms and Bravocompany.

Bravocompany
ADCO
Primary Arms

Feel free to PM me with any questions, I have built 5 AR15s and am working on a 6th. :biggrin: More ideas for you to ponder.

Top to bottom:

Daniel Defense complete upper 7" twist LW50 16" barrel 5.56 Wylde chamber
LMT 2 stage lower
Leupold MK4 1.5-5x20mm illuminated SPR
Magpul UBR / MIAD / AFG / BAD / XTM

Colt HBAR 16" barrel 5.56NATO chamber
LMT 2 stage lower
EOTech 552
Magpul UBR / MOE / AFG / BAD / XTM

LMT complete upper 10.5" barrel 5.56NATO chamber
LMT lower
EOTech XPS
Magpul UBR / MIAD / AFG / BAD / XTM

Last edited:

Mayhem Death

Forum Legend
Community Manager
Heres my build

- LaRue Tactical 5.56mm DMR-16 upper w/ 4 way free float tube and Sommers G6 Vortex flash hider.
- Spikes Tactical ST-15 lower w/ LaRue UDE grip
- Magpul CTR stock and mag
- Troy Industries folding battle sights
- EoTech 512.A65 holographic sight
- LaRue Tactical foregrip
- Surefire C2 Centurion light
^this setup will cost you over 2g, but if you build your own you will save money.

Personally id go with S&W. Their M&P rifles are very well built for the money. If ur looking for a good cheap company, check out DPMS or DanielDefense. PM me if u need help or have any questions.
This is the man you should be listening to! :)

HeadShot

Website Zealot
=(eGO)=
So, is it really hard to build an upper or is it like just follow the manual

Ohh and that upper reciever, is it the part where the charging handle is and the bolt, plus the barrel or??

Last edited:

DigitalDJ

=(eGO)=
Have any problems with the flip up front sights? Curious...

Thanks..
No, they are Troy Industries, which in my opinion are the best out there. They have a locking spring for the rear and the front locks down and sits really low. I used to prefer the battle sights over an optic which is why i got a full flat top so i could always go back to them if needed.

Ohh and that upper reciever, is it the part where the charging handle is and the bolt, plus the barrel or??
You shouldnt have a problem if you follow a manual, just DO NOT rush through it, take your time and have fun doing it. Yes the upper receiver is the whole top +barrel, its pinned to the lower with 2 pins.

HeadShot

Website Zealot
=(eGO)=
Ok thanks, I might just buy a Stock lower, and build an upper. Now anybody suggest other ar-15 brands other than Smith and Wesson?

DrBackJack

Poster

It will be hard if you have never handled a AR15 before. For one you will need a vise and a upper receiver vise block. You will need a torque wrench and a few other tools. For the most part its as easy as the lower receiver, but installing the barrel and foregrip is what will bite you in the butt. This is why I suggest just buying a complete upper, unless you happen to be a gunsmith and already have all those tools.

Also I forgot to add, you oughta buy the stripped lower locally so you don't have to worry about getting a FFL who will do the transfer. Everything else you can have shipped directly to you.

Have any problems with the flip up front sights? Curious...

Thanks..
No problems here. The majority are high quality and very repeatable. The only problem I know of is mounting one on a free float hand guard, but it doesn't make enough of a difference to worry about it.

Last edited:

DigitalDJ

=(eGO)=
BackJack has a point, the lower is considered the weapon in most cases so actually getting a complete lower may cause issues.

As far as other companies, S&W like you said, Ruger makes an AR but its very expensive for what it is. Take a look at Spikes Tactical, LaRue Tactical, DPMS, Colt, RockRiverArms, DanielDefense, LMRC. Some of those may run expensive but its just options for ya