Tips, Tricks and Strategies

why has this become such a flame thread when its supposed to offer up tips and tricks?

I don't think that flaming is naturally the objective here. The objective to exchange information and ideas and then w/ many opinions weighing in on the discussion via "constructive" criticism, the ideas become more viable and better developed.

However, things can go off-track easily due to emotions and flames can, in fact, ensue. After that, you can only hope it gets back on track b4 the thread is forced to be closed. There's nothing wrong w/ criticism, just keep the emotions in check.

I dont know i posted helpful tips and then everyone became a critic on it.

I think you forgot about your first post in this thread bro.

For multiplayer just spam crap thats what everone does but i turtle and some how always win i think because when people rush they dont have any defense so make sure you have atleast one bunker full of marines and a rocket tower plus sensor and REALLY make sure you have a Scv doing repairs.

Telling people to "just spam crap thats what everone does", is not a very helpful tip or a strat for that matter (imo).

Now since that is out of the way, I'm really enjoying tinkering around w/ the Protoss Warp Gate Strat, but I haven't found many other ideas on how to play with them. It probably doesn't help that I'm brand new to Starcraft, but were there any other strategies for Protoss that I missed?

Or after thinking about it, are warp gates just naturally part of the protoss building fundamentals

Last edited:
I tend to stick to the basics, the MMM (Marine Marauder Medivac) is always a good choice to use, i usually make vikings as well to make sure you pesky protoss players dont go void ray on me. ive also found ghosts are nice to have on hand as well not just for nuking though that is nice to do but for emping protoss units. Also dont try to Cannon rush terran players we just fly away while you spend more money making cannons. :p

P.S
Muta and zergling are really hard to beat. I hate zerg.

coughmassbccough.

It works enough bc can easily roll through most army like its nothing. I 5 Battlecruiser a protoss base with 10+ void rays and wreck but lost the BCs to stalkers T3T.

Enough BC is your answer to most things.

Now since that is out of the way, I'm really enjoying tinkering around w/ the Protoss Warp Gate Strat, but I haven't found many other ideas on how to play with them. It probably doesn't help that I'm brand new to Starcraft, but were there any other strategies for Protoss that I missed?

Or after thinking about it, are warp gates just naturally part of the protoss building fundamentals

What you want to do for protoss, if you have enough time, is to try and pull off a 4 gate and chrono boost out your warp gate tech asap. After all them things are done you wanna place a pylon near the ramp of your enemy ramp and just summon stalkers and push in while getting more gates.

Last edited:
I don't think that flaming is naturally the objective here. The objective to exchange information and ideas and then w/ many opinions weighing in on the discussion via "constructive" criticism, the ideas become more viable and better developed.

However, things can go off-track easily due to emotions and flames can, in fact, ensue. After that, you can only hope it gets back on track b4 the thread is forced to be closed. There's nothing wrong w/ criticism, just keep the emotions in check.

I think you forgot about your first post in this thread bro.

Telling people to "just spam crap thats what everone does", is not a very helpful tip or a strat for that matter (imo).

warpgates produce units five seconds faster than gateways and open up the proxy pylon, so yeah it's definitely part of every opener I've seen

I have been bypassing the pylon by using a warp prism and then using my 4-5 gateways as warp gates.

It has been effective, but I was just wondering if there were more protoss strategies out there as I've only found the Warp gate strat so far.

I've only had been playing SCII for 4 days now so I'm pretty much a complete nub when it comes tah strat knowledge. I'm open tah trying and experimenting w/ any strats that are out there.

Also, what does BC stand for?

well most people play zerg because it is true you spam units and rush them early in the game. Most zerg players do spam so you can kill the enemy quick thats everyone's goal.

well most people play zerg because it is true you spam units and rush them early in the game. Most zerg players do spam so you can kill the enemy quick thats everyone's goal.

There is a different between spamming units and having a strategy, i could spam to my hearts content and make zerglings but if there is a wall with some units guarding it your spaming will fail, but if you mass a huge army with a good unit composition you will be successful.

I have been bypassing the pylon by using a warp prism and then using my 4-5 gateways as warp gates.

It has been effective, but I was just wondering if there were more protoss strategies out there as I've only found the Warp gate strat so far.

I've only had been playing SCII for 4 days now so I'm pretty much a complete nub when it comes tah strat knowledge. I'm open tah trying and experimenting w/ any strats that are out there.

You need warpgates, it's essential to your play. It's not like it cost much. A standard opening is 3 warpgate robo. After you get that all played out, you have to tech/build your units suited for what your opponent is doing. In PVP go immortals, or tech up to collusus for zerg/ or a marine heavy terran.

That's just the early game, later on you have to adapt meaning adding more warpgates/expanding etc.

That's just a example of a opening build order, just check the liquipedia for it, it has the whole 3 gate robo on there.

It won't work against things, so you need to have other openers under your belt obviously. 2 gate zerg for fast pressure on small rush distance maps etc.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/3_Gate_Robo_Timing_Attack_(vs._Zerg)

and of course, take any strat and make it your own by changing up timings, experimenting your own strats, but it's always nice to have a standard to work off.. like in PVP I actually like to go 3gate fast blink stalker, or if I'm feeling cheesy 4 warpgate all in.

Example of experimenting with new builds is I try to work units I like into my builds, I'm working on a archon build against zerg since it's so nice against a mass muta, and you should already have the council/templar archives anyway in a situation like that.

In the higher levels the smallest things make a difference between winning and losing, things like building something 15 seconds later, or having a certain mix of units. Obviously that wont matter for you yet, you just have to get the mechanics down so its completely automatic for you. Then you can focus on refining your micro (which you should get the basics of down) and small changes in how you play. The skillcap is so high, no one will ever have perfect micro or anything but you can always get better.

@WhiteAngel BCs work if they don't get scouted, they are a late game unit where you usually have 2+ bases to use, but if they are ready for it they will have HTs + Mass Blink stalkers, feedbacking the Bcs and finishing them up with the stalkers.

Last edited:

Yeah, like chemist said you should really check out the wiki site he mentioned. There are many toss strats that build on the warpgate but you should absolutely have warpgates at some point. I'm starting to prefer the warp prism after the first observer too. The proxy pylon is hard to sneak into their main and unless i have a void up the prism is really the only way to harass. Two prisms loaded with immortals and 6 gates worth of zealots is pretty much gg if you drop in their base.

The most valuable lesson I took away from the wiki was that you can force your opponent into doing something by creating a certain unit or build. For example, if you build a void ray and start harassing their main they're going to have to produce marines or air to defend against it. They don't know if you'll be bringing in five voids or just one so they have to plan for the worse. That means they're skimping on something else like mech, so what works best against marines and air? stalkers, zealots, and get a couple DTs and molest their marines. If you can force your opponent to do something, you can base your reaction on his and develop a perfect counter.

Now I have a question, as toss what's the best way to deal with siege tanks and a blocked ramp? Warping into their base with zealot spam?

i like to tech early. i dont know why, some times it works, some times it doesnt. not gonna say its the best. im rusty and dont really play as much as i used to. but i find that if you get the timing just right, with tech early you can overpower the other player with just shear power, even if he has more units then you.

tech is a what i really love to do cause it pays out in the end.

true but most games i play using my brothers Sc2 there are always zerglings and i mean alot but my 2 bunkers full of marines helps :D

Learned this last night from a guy who's in the platinum league. It's a 2v2 strat that's most effective when used by P/T teams.

He called it proxxing.

I only experienced the terran side of it, and don't know protoss well enough to know what he was doing.

Immediately I sent an SCV out to their first main, accompanied by a probe. He drops a pylon there when we arrive, I've been continuing to build SCVs and a supply depot.

Next to his pylon I drop a barracks.

He brings in four zealots, I bring in four marines and we rush the one member. If all goes well he's pretty battered, and his teammate is sending units over, which you'll hopefully be able to counter pretty easily this early.

The upside is that you're doing things early enough that they haven't massed forces together, so there's a greater chance that numbers will be stacked in your favor with both encounters.

The down side is that if you don't pull it off it's pretty much game over.

Learned this last night from a guy who's in the platinum league. It's a 2v2 strat that's most effective when used by P/T teams.

He called it proxxing.

I only experienced the terran side of it, and don't know protoss well enough to know what he was doing.

Immediately I sent an SCV out to their first main, accompanied by a probe. He drops a pylon there when we arrive, I've been continuing to build SCVs and a supply depot.

He brings in four zealots, I bring in four marines and we rush the one member. If all goes well he's pretty battered, and his teammate is sending units over, which you'll hopefully be able to counter pretty easily this early.

The upside is that you're doing things early enough that they haven't massed forces together, so there's a greater chance that numbers will be stacked in your favor with both encounters.

50/50 shot thats how all games are which is a good sign. Get it down packed and you will be the talk of the street with out begin defeated.

He called it proxxing.

it takes a pretty good deal of time to make this happen with the warpgates necessary and the four zealots, I'm surprised at that level the enemy will leave scouts alone, usually they send an scv to ward off any intruders for precisely that reason: so they can't build proxies or barracks/bunkers etc

Because in life and games you have a 50/50 shot of everything going your way

Almost nothing is 50/50 in life, and neither are strategies in SC2. There are too many intangibles (um, things you can't control) and variables to be 50/50. A 50/50 situation would be something like this: one marine starts firing at an enemy marine at the exact same time as that enemy marine fires back. It could go either way and the outcome would be (to us) completely random. This is also completely impractical on a macro scale, as is any pure 50/50 situation.

In life: if you apply to college, you will either be accepted or rejected, but that is not a 50/50 chance. If your merits are solid and your GPA was high you have a much higher chance of being accepted. If you were a crappy student applying to an ivy league school your odds of being accepted drop to 5 or 10%, for example. You see what I'm saying?

Things that are not 50/50:

-A multiplayer game of Stracraft 2 (ahem). Maybe the opponent has more skill than you (odds are then 60/40 for example), maybe you're playing WhiteRa (odds are 95% of losing).

-A battle in SC2. Is your micro better than your opponents (70/30)? Do you have better unit composition?

-A strategy in SC2. How can you apply skill and micro to defeat an enemy? If I had a "50/50 shot of everything going my way then why is my Win/Loss ratio not .5? Deep, deep sigh.

There is nothing random about a proxy pylon rush. What happens if you kill as many units as you invest? What happens when you kill a couple scvs? These are not 50/50 odds of success, but these situations tip the odds in or against your favor.

Conclusion: odds are almost never 50/50 in life or in anything aside from a single coin toss. This concept is maybe one of a handful I took away from statistics in college. You are using the phrase in a misleading way. These strategies are not 50/50.

@Ronpaul, your question about the siege tanks. Use sentries with gaurdian shield and charge lots. Tanks will splash themselves and everything around them, the zealots will charge right on top of them and do TONS of damage. The gaurdian shield protects all the range units in the back.

@DTS, Yes Proxying is common, even in 1v1, it's a all in cheese and if you screw it up and you aren't good enough to recover, its game.

@Dutch, That doesn't make any sense, it isn't 50/50 if your opponent is much better than you it could be like 90/10, better players can handle the proxiy and then use the momentum to crush you, or even if the player isn't that great the odds could change drastically if he scouts you.

Last edited:

true but most games i play using my brothers Sc2 there are always zerglings and i mean alot but my 2 bunkers full of marines helps :D

it's hard to be wrong when you're quoting yourself LOL

Thanks Chemist, as a newb I still forget to tech Charge sometimes

ron both state that the zerg are rushing right off the bat which i can defend easily because im good at building a defense.
@Dutch, That doesn't make any sense, it isn't 50/50 if your opponent is much better than you it could be like 90/10, better players can handle the proxiy and then use the momentum to crush you, or even if the player isn't that great the odds could change drastically if he scouts you.
It depends if you know the opponent which every game i played of Sc1 i knew and how they worked which had a balanced odd of me coming out equal. Also vis versa
Almost nothing is 50/50 in life, and neither are strategies in SC2. There are too many intangibles (um, things you can't control) and variables to be 50/50. A 50/50 situation would be something like this: one marine starts firing at an enemy marine at the exact same time as that enemy marine fires back. It could go either way and the outcome would be (to us) completely random. This is also completely impractical on a macro scale, as is any pure 50/50 situation.

In life: if you apply to college, you will either be accepted or rejected, but that is not a 50/50 chance. If your merits are solid and your GPA was high you have a much higher chance of being accepted. If you were a crappy student applying to an ivy league school your odds of being accepted drop to 5 or 10%, for example. You see what I'm saying?

Things that are not 50/50:

-A multiplayer game of Stracraft 2 (ahem). Maybe the opponent has more skill than you (odds are then 60/40 for example), maybe you're playing WhiteRa (odds are 95% of losing).

-A battle in SC2. Is your micro better than your opponents (70/30)? Do you have better unit composition?

-A strategy in SC2. How can you apply skill and micro to defeat an enemy? If I had a "50/50 shot of everything going my way then why is my Win/Loss ratio not .5? Deep, deep sigh.

There is nothing random about a proxy pylon rush. What happens if you kill as many units as you invest? What happens when you kill a couple scvs? These are not 50/50 odds of success, but these situations tip the odds in or against your favor.

Conclusion: odds are almost never 50/50 in life or in anything aside from a single coin toss. This concept is maybe one of a handful I took away from statistics in college. You are using the phrase in a misleading way. These strategies are not 50/50.
Im a military guy but i cant join because my mom wont let me because of the war which i would fight in. I use diffent examples of it but in most of my cases there a straight 50/50 as in i fire a gun at 2 terrorist in a ally way. thats 1/2 chance i would hit one which is a 50/50 but as you said most are not but im simple guy not a complex guy. I just like to keep things simple.

Back