Robin walker says there will be trading? :D

Robin did confirm trading a while ago. This email just reinforces the fact that we will see a trade system.

Now that I have your attention I would like to point out unless Valve does something totally unique with items (example: multicolored items) then this trading system is pointless. It used to be that people would rely on a trading system soon since item drops were pretty rare. But now that casual gamers are guaranteed drops due to Valve's new system you could find a certain item you want (or at least craft it)

As for hat trades, meh. I think hats should stay random instead of being offered for trade.

TL;DR The need for a trading system now is different than the need for it last year

Last edited:
THe email was received the 4th of may, we're in august, maybe I'll see the trading system before I die, or I atleast hope my grandchild will see it ...

Robin did confirm trading a while ago. This email just reinforces the fact that we will see a trade system.

Now that I have your attention I would like to point out unless Valve does something totally unique with items (example: multicolored items) then this trading system is pointless. It used to be that people would rely on a trading system soon since item drops were pretty rare. But now that casual gamers are guaranteed drops due to Valve's new system you could find a certain item you want (or at least craft it)

As for hat trades, meh. I think hats should stay random instead of being offered for trade.

TL;DR The need for a trading system now is different than the need for it last year

I disagree with this, for the most part. YES, the need for a trading system is, indeed, functionally different than last year. It will now be exceedingly rare for person A to trade his FaN to person B for his backburner. Individual item trades aren't going to really be useful, unless it's to trade 2 things so that each person has that one last thing they need for scrap.

However, you fail to recognize community items. Yes, they can be crafted, but I'll bet you that while we won't see FaN/Bburner trades, we certainly WILL see crit-a-cola/homewrecker trades, or what have you. I mean, I still haven't found a crit-a-cola yet, and I can't bring myself to craft it because I probably wouldn't use it very much. However, it'd be nice to give it a test drive, nonetheless.

Finally: hats. Hats are rarities, and while they should continue to be rarities, they shouldn't be restricted to drops or crafts. I mean, I currently have 2 hats for the heavy, a football helmet and the tough guy's tuque. I only use the football helmet, so there's not much reason for me to have the other one, and in fact, I'll be crafting it away as soon as I get another hat I don't particularly like.

But, what if someone else really wanted the tuque but never played medic, and had a mirror or a Tyrolean that they would just craft away? I would kill for those, because I often play medic. I don't really see why these two objects that are meant to be status symbols should be condemned to a re-craft simply because they were given to owners that they were lost upon.

I hope that you won't be able to trade while in game, it's annoying enough when 4-5 people are crafting instead of playing the game :glare:...Maybe make it so you can only trade with people on your friends list, or have a website just for trading. Trading just seems like a bad idea to me for some reason.

I like the whole trade system because its a random drop of hats.... i played over 100hrs of game play and only received couple of hats. not that i want to get all the hats, but i like few hats and wolud like to get them atleast by trading.

Not only hats but also for weapons would be a good idea

I like the whole trade system because its a random drop of hats.... i played over 100hrs of game play and only received couple of hats. not that i want to get all the hats, but i like few hats and wolud like to get them atleast by trading.

Not only hats but also for weapons would be a good idea

Look at him, I played over a 100hrs, I played over 2000hrs and I received 2 hats, which are Scout Batter helmet and Engineer cap, don't complain dude xD

I disagree with this, for the most part. YES, the need for a trading system is, indeed, functionally different than last year. It will now be exceedingly rare for person A to trade his FaN to person B for his backburner. Individual item trades aren't going to really be useful, unless it's to trade 2 things so that each person has that one last thing they need for scrap.

However, you fail to recognize community items. Yes, they can be crafted, but I'll bet you that while we won't see FaN/Bburner trades, we certainly WILL see crit-a-cola/homewrecker trades, or what have you. I mean, I still haven't found a crit-a-cola yet, and I can't bring myself to craft it because I probably wouldn't use it very much. However, it'd be nice to give it a test drive, nonetheless.

Finally: hats. Hats are rarities, and while they should continue to be rarities, they shouldn't be restricted to drops or crafts. I mean, I currently have 2 hats for the heavy, a football helmet and the tough guy's tuque. I only use the football helmet, so there's not much reason for me to have the other one, and in fact, I'll be crafting it away as soon as I get another hat I don't particularly like.

But, what if someone else really wanted the tuque but never played medic, and had a mirror or a Tyrolean that they would just craft away? I would kill for those, because I often play medic. I don't really see why these two objects that are meant to be status symbols should be condemned to a re-craft simply because they were given to owners that they were lost upon.

I like you.

I can see it now: chinese hat farmers.

Buy several TF2 accounts, Idle all day. Get tons of hats, sell hats online for real money.

Profit.

I can see it now: chinese hat farmers.

Buy several TF2 accounts, Idle all day. Get tons of hats, sell hats online for real money.

Profit.

And see, that might well be why they've not done it until now; worrying about how to proof it so that doesn't happen.

However, something tells me that unlike WoW, where traded items and gold actually have value, Hats are purely aesthetic. Sadly, I do believe it'll happen, but my thought is that it won't be very prominent or popular.

Back