Is this a possible theory.

So recently, my computer ended up dying on me. I took it to some guy to repair it. He doesn't have a shop or anything like that. I don't really know this guy either, but once I got it repaired, I noticed that my graphics card has changed from being a nVidia 9800 to a standard VGA graphics adapter. Is it reasonable to say he swapped some stuff on my computer?

sounds like he forgot the install drivers.

try installing the latest nVidia drivers.

EDIT:

EVEN EASIER!!!! just open your case and look!

sounds like he forgot the install drivers.

try installing the latest nVidia drivers.

EDIT:

EVEN EASIER!!!! just open your case and look!

Uh, exactly how do I open it. I'm a noob to computers and I'm afraid to accidentally break fan fin or zap my graphics card LOL.

Edit: Would also be nice if you told me where to look(I.E. on top/under the card). I wanna get in and out as fast as possible to reduce the damage I might cause.

Last edited:
You could just look at the back of the computer and tell is what your monitor is plugged in to.
If it's in a vertical position near the top of the motherboard slots, then you got jacked.
If it's in a horizontal position underneath all of the motherboard slots, then you need new drivers.

You could just look at the back of the computer and tell is what your monitor is plugged in to.
If it's in a vertical position near the top of the motherboard slots, then you got jacked.
If it's in a horizontal position underneath all of the motherboard slots, then you need new drivers.

O_O...Where are motherboard slots. Can I get some pictures? Or want me to provide some pictures?

Uh, exactly how do I open it. I'm a noob to computers and I'm afraid to accidentally break fan fin or zap my graphics card LOL.

Edit: Would also be nice if you told me where to look(I.E. on top/under the card). I wanna get in and out as fast as possible to reduce the damage I might cause.

1. you pretty much have to try to break something, its not easy to break stuff.

2. there are usually screws on the back, that, once unscrewed, let you remove one of the panels on the case.

just look at the card, if it says 9800 anywhere on it, you are probably fine.

Lastly, did you ask the guy? maybe it was just a mistake.

1. you pretty much have to try to break something, its not easy to break stuff.

2. there are usually screws on the back, that, once unscrewed, let you remove one of the panels on the case.

just look at the card, if it says 9800 anywhere on it, you are probably fine.

Lastly, did you ask the guy? maybe it was just a mistake.

Alright. Another question(sorry for the bother), if I download a driver and it lets me install, does that mean that it's the correct driver?

Alright. Another question(sorry for the bother), if I download a driver and it lets me install, does that mean that it's the correct driver?

Not sure, I've always downloaded the correct drivers.
What Operating System do you have? And what version (32-bit or 64-bit)?

halp-1.jpg

The blue circled area is the motherboard I/O ports. If your monitor cable is plugged into there, then you got jacked.
The red circled area is the graphics card ports. If the cable is plugged into that, you need the proper drivers.

Not sure, I've always downloaded the correct drivers.
What Operating System do you have? And what version (32-bit or 64-bit)?

The blue circled area is the motherboard I/O ports. If your monitor cable is plugged into there, then you got jacked.
The red circled area is the graphics card ports. If the cable is plugged into that, you need the proper drivers.

this

Back