Fart's Fine Art Thread

Winston

EGO Zealot
Welcome to Fart's Fine Art Thread! Please feel free to post any art you find interesting.

Fart's Guide to looking at art:
1. Turn off any distractions, i.e. music or dogs. (Yes, turn off the dog)
2. Look at a piece you find interesting.
3. Look at it carefully.
4. Look at it VERY carefully.
5. Read my interpretation/backstory of/about the piece
6. Have your mind blown
7. Look at the piece again
8. Repeat

Just remember that nobody likes a troll!

If you encounter any historical or grammatical errors, feel free to PM me.

I realize this thread will probably be trolled to death with pictures of cute cats, which I approve of, but I will at least try to keep it going.

The idea is, every day I will post a new piece of art and make my commentary on it.

If you feel like it, you can post your own favorite art as long as you post your interpretation/description of it and some of its relevant history.

Please don't repeat any art.

Its like Sexy's movie thread, but less cool and less fun.

Anyways, Ill start with my favorite piece ever.

It is, surprise, from the Romans.

A full size link of it is here: http://www.aasd.k12.wi.us/Staff/lawrencebarbar/Lawrancebarbara/ch10/10-07.jpg

Now, the history behind this bust which was made in Otricoli, Italy, ca. 75–50 BCE, according to some sources anyway, is that Roman art is at the peak of verism, which is basically realistic art.

Philosophically, the Romans are getting farther and farther away from the idea that the Gods control all humans, and more towards the idea that humans have complete free will, which is shown by the extremely humanistic depiction of the human form (Humanism is an approach in study, philosophy, or practice that focuses on human values and concerns, from wiki)

Basically what this bust represents is the basis for the Italian Renaissance, some 1500 years later. Plus, its pretty cool looking. Tomorrow is Caravaggio!

Works done so far:
Portrait of a Roman Patrician
The Baptism of Christ, 1474-1475, Verrocchio and Leonardo.
The Conversion of Saint Paul by Caravaggio
The Annunciation by Fra Angelico
The Fall of the Rebel Angels by Pieter Bruegel the elder
Metamorphosis of Narcissus by Salvador Dali
Prima Porta Augustus
Las Meninas by Diego Velazquez
Las Meninas by Pablo Picasso
Creation of Adam by Michelangelo
The Treachery of Images by Ren? Magritte
Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2 by Marcel Duchamp
The Sistine Chapel (Browser edition)
A Hyperrealist Sculpture by Jamie Salmon
Prophet Habacuc by Donatello
The Coliseum by Ollie
Botticelli's Birth of Venus
Red sunset on the Dnieper, Arkhip Ivanovich Kuindzhi, 1905-8
Journey Along the Edge of the Earth by Vladimir Kush
The Mountain by Balthus
Comic Book Art by Jack Kirby

Cool Photos done:
Example of Concept Photography
Grafitti Pics

Not So Serious Works:
Darth Vader as Napoleon
Chewbacca and Giant Squirrel versus the Nazis
Leonardo Da Vinci does Futurama
Portrait of a Human Gentlemen circa 27th Century
My Childhood
Tiqeraaq's Creation of Adam
Carmine's Fuzzy Cups

Last edited:

TheyCallMeC

Poster Extraordinaire
this is a cool premise for a thread

plus it helps make the community look like we actually know something about being sophisticated

:?

Winston

EGO Zealot
this is a cool premise for a thread

plus it helps make the community look like we actually know something about being sophisticated

:?
Aww, thanks. Hopefully the inevitable trolling is at least clever enough to keep the thread alive. And it's not about "being sophisticated" really, its just fun to look at these pieces of art and know the context in which they were made. Its more Art History than anything.

Oh sweet. So you like Roman art from the gladiator era?
Uh, yeah. Its okay. I don't know what the gladiator era is. ""The games reached their peak between the 1st century BCE and the 2nd century CE, and they persisted not only throughout the social and economic crises of the declining Roman state but even after Christianity became the official religion in the 4th century CE"

Thats like 500 years of history.

BokkChoi

EGO Zealot

This picture is good. I think its from the early 1700's. I think this picture was from the Greeks fought the USA.

TheyCallMeC

Poster Extraordinaire

this is a fine piece illustrating the conquering of the DoD division by the BFBC2 division snipers with Ill Legends help. this haxxoring took place on the slopes of Mount RushMoar in the fall of 1337. it is a fine example of Ill Legends ability to help those in need and crush those weaker than himself.

SoNotIsaac

Poster Extraordinaire

this is a fine piece illustrating the conquering of the DoD division by the BFBC2 division snipers with Ill Legends help. this haxxoring took place on the slopes of Mount RushMoar in the fall of 1337. it is a fine example of Ill Legends ability to help those in need and crush those weaker than himself.
Lmao...I don't think that picture is part of history ._. but looks so well... historical xD

Artinz

EGO Zealot
I like your idea. Are we allowed to contribute? I mean with actual art, unlike these other pics people posted. I'm gonna do it anyways. I wanted to do a Caravaggio but since you're doing one tomorrow, I'll go with Andrea del Verrocchio.

Full size image at: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Andrea_del_Verrocchio_002.jpg
I am not Christian, that's not why I'm posting this item. This collaboration between Verrocchio and Leonardo da Vinci was extremely well executed. Not being a master symbolist, I can't tell you all the subtle symbols, only the obvious one. Da Vinci is at it again, showing his obvious lack of Christianity. The entire painting sort of looks like an argument between a Christian and a non-Christian. The two children have halos, making them seem like angels, yet they are filled in. One of the "angels" is looking at Jesus, one is not. Da Vinci is showing his distaste for Christianity.

That's just my take on it, but I love the contradictions in itself.

Last edited:

Sexy Beast

EGO Is My Life!
The idea is, every day I will post a new piece of art and make my commentary on it.
I read and understood this part...apparently no one else did.

I have pretty limited knowledge on fine art and I'm looking forward to the future content on this thread.

Winston

EGO Zealot
Thank you artinz for the contribution, I like it. I really don't mind if people throw up their favorite art, as long as they dont copy any of mine.

Anyway, Caravaggio. This is the Conversion of Saint Paul

Full size: http://www.mizzenmast.fr/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/caravaggio-the-conversion-of-saul.jpg

Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio is one of the most influential Baroque painters (Baroque is an artistic style prevalent from the late 16th century to the early 18th century in Europe).

Basically Caravaggio puts intense focus on the physical and emotional aspects of the human state, and uses Chiaroscuro (extreme contrasts between light and dark) to give all his pieces a very dramatic feel.

The history is that the Roman Catholic Church was looking for art of all kinds to fight Protestantism. Caravaggio, despite his rather infamous life style of brawling in the streets and even killing a man, had his works used in various churches and palaces all over Rome, Naples, Malta, and Sicily.

Tomorrow: Fra Angelico

Last edited:

Artinz

EGO Zealot
Thank you artinz for the contribution, I like it. I really don't mind if people throw up their favorite art, as long as they dont copy any of mine.

Anyway, Caravaggio. This is the Conversion of Saint Paul
Good think I went with something else, I was going to do that painting originally lol.

Winston

EGO Zealot
Fra Angelico is a personal favorite of mine, because in the time that he was painting, garish and lively colors were demanded by patrons, yet he still manages to paint the saints with incredibly human emotions, like sorrow and caring.

Full size:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Fra_Angelico_043.jpg

Look at the wings of the angel Gabriel. Just amazing work, in my opinion.

Technically and stylistically, Fra Angelico could be classified as an early/middle Renaissance painter, although philosophically he wouldn't match up to the later painters. Here is a quote from John Paul II that fits it rather nicely

Angelico was reported to say "He who does Christ's work must stay with Christ always". This motto earned him the epithet "Blessed Angelico", because of the perfect integrity of his life and the almost divine beauty of the images he painted, to a superlative extent those of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
—Pope John Paul II

Tomorrow, Bruegel.

Winston

EGO Zealot

Full size: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ec/Pieter_Bruegel_the_Elder_-_The_Fall_of_the_Rebel_Angels.JPG

Pieter Bruegel the Elder was a fantastic artist. Look at how he manages to cram what looks like 3 or 4 different scenes and ideas into one painting! This is one of his lesser known demonological works, so the usual themes of political and social protest are not yet visual. Pieter was painting at a time of religious conflict which hasn't yet come to a front in the Netherlands, but soon would.

The interesting part of this painting (or at least one of them) is how he incorporates the Fallen Angels as bestial, savage monsters.

Tomorrow: Salvador Dali

SoldierX77

Thread Thumper
Yeah, people need to stop ruining this great thread, with the joke art, and thanks for showing this, it all looks good.

Mystery Penguin

Poster Extraordinaire
It's cool that there are people who still appreciate old artworks. I like it a little, but I'm not the biggest fan.

I prefer more modern-day arts and anthropomorphics.

Passerby

Poster Extraordinaire
good idea for a thread and i will be watching it, but it is more than likely falling on death ears and will get trolled in this community.

I find anything that provokes any somewhat intelligent thought get's trolled or deleted here.

king killer

EGO Is My Life!

just thought u would get a little laugh outa this one, the original is leonardo da vinci's painting of the human body.

Last edited: