Single player RPG help?

Dreadmaker

EGO Addict
Alright guys. Here's the deal. I'm looking for a new RPG to play, and I don't know anything about the current stuff.

I love old school RPGs, like final fantasy or dragon warrior. I love the whole turn-based party style thing. I also love the story-driven stuff.

What do I NOT like?

MMORPGS. My net connection blows, and really, I'd rather not focus on my own character's development, but rather on my group of characters, so that they work together cohesively and augment each other well. I played WoW for a year, became the best druid on my server, and then left when I hit university, because of time constraints.

What I'm looking for is an RPG that IS NOT multilayer, because I'm going back to university in September, and I won't be able to commit any kind of time to online play. What I'd like is a story, a party, and a long, long game with a lot of customization/class options.

I'm playing oblivion right now, and it's an awesome game, certainly. I enjoy it. However, it's not quite what I'm looking for (not turn based, and not a party).

I'm looking for a modern RPG that meets these qualifications. I'd love to jump back into the final fantasy series, but I don't know when they stopped being single player and went into the MMO business.

Oh yeah, one last qualification: IT MUST BE FOR PC. no console games, please.

Suggestions?

Hello Dreadmaker,
I did have one question for you: How much are you willing to spend?
- - - - - - -

Dragon Age: Origins (Tactics/RPG)

As Tremendous suggested, Dragon Age: Origins is a great game, and fits perfectly to your description, however, it costs $30 from the Steam store.

If you're looking for something free, however, check out FreeWareGenious, they have an entire list of free, single-player strategic games; see if they have any that meet your expectations of a game.
- - - - - - -

Good luck!
Morgan Freeman

Well, I appreciate both suggestions, but neither is what I'd like. Note I said party/turn based... Near as I can tell, neither mass effect OR dragon age is that. I did mention oblivion, and both seem to liken more to that, but I'm in the market for something like final fantasy, but more modern, and not an MMO.

As for price, I don't particularly care. whether I get the game or not is different; I just haven't been keeping up with modern turn based rpgs (if there are even any in development anymore) and so I'd like to be alerted to them.

Are you only looking for new Rpgs?

Not necessarily. I'd like 3D, for instance, but it isn't necessary. If you're familiar with Dragon Warrior VII, I loved that game with a passion, and it was a weird form of isometric. Plus, if you know it, I LOVED (possibly my favorite RPG ever) Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube. Fantastic story, fresh take on the turn based genre. Excellent experience. So, in any case, I'm pretty flexible.

I appreciate the help you guys have already given me: Beta, I've DL'd the demo for that game you suggested, and I'll be giving it a shot.

Not necessarily. I'd like 3D, for instance, but it isn't necessary. If you're familiar with Dragon Warrior VII, I loved that game with a passion, and it was a weird form of isometric. Plus, if you know it, I LOVED (possibly my favorite RPG ever) Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube. Fantastic story, fresh take on the turn based genre. Excellent experience. So, in any case, I'm pretty flexible.

I appreciate the help you guys have already given me: Beta, I've DL'd the demo for that game you suggested, and I'll be giving it a shot.

<=Doesn't see how ToS is turned base, but you could give sRPG games a try. Maybe dragon quest is something you'd like as well. Lots of nice RPG games on the DS.

<=Doesn't see how ToS is turned base, but you could give sRPG games a try. Maybe dragon quest is something you'd like as well. Lots of nice RPG games on the DS.

It's true, it isn't really turn based. However, it's ALMOST turn based. It uses the same idea of a party, each with an individual skill set and each are fully controllable characters. Even though there might be a bunch of good stuff on the DS, I sorta prefer PC, because, well, I HAVE a PC and I DON'T have a DS :p

Also, I forgot to mention: another awesome rpg that I really enjoyed: Baiten Kaitos, both 1 and 2 for the cube. Another excellent one that was fresh and modern.

It's true, it isn't really turn based. However, it's ALMOST turn based. It uses the same idea of a party, each with an individual skill set and each are fully controllable characters. Even though there might be a bunch of good stuff on the DS, I sorta prefer PC, because, well, I HAVE a PC and I DON'T have a DS :p

Also, I forgot to mention: another awesome rpg that I really enjoyed: Baiten Kaitos, both 1 and 2 for the cube. Another excellent one that was fresh and modern.

You could try an emu. What consoles do you run anyways? The RPG games you like are more popular among Asians and so Asian consoles would have a lot of them.

You could try an emu. What consoles do you run anyways? The RPG games you like are more popular among Asians and so Asian consoles would have a lot of them.

As I said in my first post, I'm looking for PC games. I have a Wii (and thus the gamecube inherent within), but I'll be going to university in September, and I probably won't be taking it with me. So, I'm restricted to PC, for the most part. I have done emus for basically all platforms, and I'm sorta sick of it; what I really would like is an rpg that's MADE for the PC that is, in fact, turn based, or party based. However, as I'm rapidly finding out, they don't really exist :/

As I said in my first post, I'm looking for PC games. I have a Wii (and thus the gamecube inherent within), but I'll be going to university in September, and I probably won't be taking it with me. So, I'm restricted to PC, for the most part. I have done emus for basically all platforms, and I'm sorta sick of it; what I really would like is an rpg that's MADE for the PC that is, in fact, turn based, or party based. However, as I'm rapidly finding out, they don't really exist :/

I don't think any that match your preferences exist then. There's turned based multiplayer(I think) Atlantica online, but other than that I don't think any exist.

Try Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas when it comes out. I just recently tore through all 9 Dragon warrior/quests because I like the turn based fighting too, especially that series. When played with the VATS feature (Vault Assisted Targeting System), Fallout becomes essentially turn based for combat. Of course you can play it like an FPS but a simple key freezes the game, lets you choose your target, the target on your target (like a limb), weapons, and also it is very very long, and there are tons of paths you can take, morally, quest wise, and skillwise, and they all tie in. Not to mention its sheer vast wanderability.

There aren't many RPGS that are turn style based on the PC. The only one i can think of is a turn style based MMO. But you said you didn't want one. :/ So i dk. Try google. :)

Back