graphics card installation

stealthh

Forum Fiend
hey people!

Right now my brother wants to install a new graphics card for gaming that will run games smoother and better performance but he doesnt know what card to get and how to install it. -_- He wants a decent card that is not to cheap and not to money wild around $80-100 (nvidia) is good enough. So some1 plz help him out so he will stop bothering me and crying in his sleep before I move away :p q is it easy to install it. Anything we should know when installing it before we do something stupid. Like eating and spilling cola on my system.

specs:
nvidia geforce 6150se
windows vista
AMD Athlon(tm) 7550 Dual-Core Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Hmm..is that the system that is going to get a new card?

It is using PCI-E I am guessing?

To install the card, just open up the case, remove the old graphics card (if there), and place the card in the PCI-E slot. Then just attach it to your power supply and other any connectors that it requires.

And to answer your question, I wouldn't recommend opening your case on carpet.

Your idea of not to cheap/not to money wild is not very good for computer parts. Not to cheap/money wild would be around 150$ so you could get a 5770.

Money wild is like 600$+ when dealing with video cards. 80$-100$ is cheap. 150$-500$ is the normal price range for a video card.

We also need to know if you have a PCI-E slot and the PSU wattage.

Also, don't just set your self on one brand of video card, every price range has a video card that fits it, but the brands alternate.

Last edited:
80-100 is nothing.
And, anything you buy in that price range for nvidia is not going to be nearly as good as the ATI price equivalent.

80-100 is nothing.
And, anything you buy in that price range for nvidia is not going to be nearly as good as the ATI price equivalent.
Not true,

The 470 from nvidia is an awesome card with an awesome price, same with the 460.

Ah,
Sorry didn't see the "in that price range" part...but yea.

Maybe get the 9800GT? It's a good card in that price range.

The 9800 exceeds those cards,
Plus nvidia cooling in their earlier cards exceed the ATI cooling, also their control panel and physx are a plus.

But thanks for providing benchmarks for letting us all look at.

Do NOT, gather up static electricity before touching any component inside the case. Either touch something metal to discharge any built up static or get one of those discharge bracelets or whatever they call them to keep you grounded while installing and taking out parts.

The 9800 exceeds those cards,
Plus nvidia cooling in their earlier cards exceed the ATI cooling, also their control panel and physx are a plus.

But thanks for providing benchmarks for letting us all look at.

LOLWUT
Nvidia has always been the hotter of the two.
I can't find any specific (or recent) benchmarks that compare the 9800GT to a 5670.

Do NOT, gather up static electricity before touching any component inside the case. Either touch something metal to discharge any built up static or get one of those discharge bracelets or whatever they call them to keep you grounded while installing and taking out parts.

Or, you could leave in the PSU, and just touch that occasionally.

5670 runs very cool thanks to it's 40nm process

(9800 is 55 or 65nm depending on you revision)

Back