Looking to buy a new video card!!

Bauer24x

Heyy i currently have a cheap EVGA Nivida 9500GT that plays Battlefield Bad Company 2 on Low Settings at 1280x1024 resolution with 45-65FPS all the time with a 400W PSU. I Was hoping someone can help me choose a video card that can play Battlefield Bad Company 2 on High Settings with 1280x1024 resolution at a maximum of 400W PSU. i was hoping some eGO members/guests can help me out and give me opinions on what to buy and if my computer can run it with my 400W PSU??

My Budget, and my number 1 thing i recommend what company i would like best is a EVGA Card around 85-120 bucks at 11720 zipcode using newegg!!!!

Thanks ~~
~~ XxAirborn3xX

Cut Chem!st

EGO Is My Life!
On the offical power requirements page for the 5770 it says it needs a 450w psu, so I doubt you would want to run it on a 400w.

Rogue Sniper

EGO Is My Life!
=(eGO)=
Save up for a 550W (at least) PSU first (they range 45 - 95$) then purchase your graphics card. Its better to be safe than sorry. Under powering a graphics card does cause issues like not working.

Right now you can survive on that 9500GT until you can get a better PSU to support a newer card.

reflex99

EGO Is My Life!
much better to get higher PSU if you go 5770 1gb or you get a blue screen of death :)
This.

Only problem I see if you grab a 5770 would be the PSU 400W... Kinda... iffy.

On the offical power requirements page for the 5770 it says it needs a 450w psu, so I doubt you would want to run it on a 400w.
Save up for a 550W (at least) PSU first (they range 45 - 95$) then purchase your graphics card. Its better to be safe than sorry. Under powering a graphics card does cause issues like not working.

Right now you can survive on that 9500GT until you can get a better PSU to support a newer card.
The 5770 uses about 150w full load, +75 for cpu, +50 for other drives and stuff= 275w. He should be perfectly fine. People don't realize how little you need to run a modern system. @op, you will be fine, go to the 5770!

Would it be fine to run the card on a 400PSU for about 2-3 months until i get a 500-600W PSU?
yes

EDIT: I run an i5 650+5770 on 300w, so you should be fine!

Bauer24x

To be honest. I'm not really into ATI. I Was thinking more of a 150$ NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or something. because i am buying a video card Tuesday soo i need to know what would be best to play my games on a 400W PSU. Because i bought APB last night, and my 9500GT suks soo bad. I Wanna be able to play APB on high settings and see the difference and actually be able to play those type of games on high settings and be able to game and not be mad at the fps video lag?

Any ideas and opinions would help thanks xD!!

Auto Lykos

I made one post
I'll second Reflex. Most of the over-caution regarding Power Supply Units stems from awhile ago when manufacturers would push PSU limits and advertise higher wattages than could realistically be delivered.

Quality's improved. As long as this isn't some cheapy $30 PSU and you're not overclocking. You should be able to scrape by fine.

(As someone who has run an overclocked GPU and CPU 50 watts under minimum spec for an HD 4870 for approaching two years now without a single issue.)

If you're only 50 watts under, you're very very likely to have no issues.

Playing it safe is still a very good recommendation though. I'm just saying odds are you won't have any issues.

Bauer24x

Well that really didn't answer and help me question upp. But your most likely right about the lack of powersupply. Just remembered that on my old 4 year old dell i put my old 9500GT into needed a 400PSU, and i was running a 305PSU lol. Talk about heck of lack of power supply lol, and it was fine for awhile and it's still running in my brothers room!!! Soo i'm guessing i would be fine with most likely everything i would want a 400PSU or more. like a GTX 460 but i don't have the money for that unless you can find a 175$ dallor one and ill get 25 dallors somehow lol xD!

Auto Lykos

I made one post
Sorry, didn't see your latest post. >.>

If $150 is your budget, the HD 5770 is definitely the better pick.

It is around 10% faster than the GTS 250 in most situations and has Direct X 11 support, which is good for new games from now on.

If you don't care about Direct X 11 and really want nVidia, I would probably recommend spending $170 on a GTX 260. It gets you about 10% more performance than the 5770 in most cases. Problem is it has a far lower minimum frame rate, which means you could see some lag in some areas. The second problem is you would be cutting it a lot closer on the PSU with a GTX 260 as that guy consumes a fair deal of power.

See this benchmark for BC2 for where I'm getting this from.

To be honest though, the HD 5770 is probably the best pick for your price.

Bauer24x

Well i made my decision, and thanks for everyones opinions and help. But I'm gonna get the ATI Radeon HD 5770 because number 1 it's in my price range, number 2 it's free shipping, and number 3 i need a new card, and i can purchase it Tuesday, and arrive on Friday. Doesn't all that matters hehe :p. So more questions does anyone else have the Radeon HD 5770 and if soo plz reply, and tell me how it runs, and to be honest i think it will be great for me because i'm only gonna run 1280x1024, and that resolution can most likely run alot of games on high settings at that resolution correct?

Auto Lykos

I made one post
The HD 5770 will run every single game at high settings guaranteed. The lowest you're going to get is maybe 25 fps in Crysis. Bad Company 2 on all high settings should sit around 40 fps for you, maybe 45.

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Well i made my decision, and thanks for everyones opinions and help. But I'm gonna get the ATI Radeon HD 5770 because number 1 it's in my price range, number 2 it's free shipping, and number 3 i need a new card, and i can purchase it Tuesday, and arrive on Friday. Doesn't all that matters hehe :p. So more questions does anyone else have the Radeon HD 5770 and if soo plz reply, and tell me how it runs, and to be honest i think it will be great for me because i'm only gonna run 1280x1024, and that resolution can most likely run alot of games on high settings at that resolution correct?
hey dude, let me know how it goes. i have a 9800gt & have been considering upgrading.

Bauer24x

hey dude, let me know how it goes. i have a 9800gt & have been considering upgrading.
Roger that. ill let you know. But everyone here knows that it's a big upgrade for me going from a 9500GT to a ATI HD 5770. Will i really notice a huge difference with the new card once i play APB or Bad Company 2 seeing things better, further, and no trees glaring on the top right of me lol. Because another thing is, it is the lastest GPU of the Radeon 5000 series correct unless there's a 5880 or something?