Easter!

Snag219

Just wondering, what does egg have anything to do with Easter? Plz dont say that South Park episode. lol

I dunno, I don't celebrate easter. And I find that odd because I love the mythology of religion [My personal faves are Shinto and Egyptian] more than the belief of religion. THe south park ep was funny though.

It has to do with the pagan spring festival that easter falls on. Idk, I graduated from a Christian school so I should know this..... I slept through 1 too many bible classes I guess. haha.

Decorated Easter eggs are much older than Easter, and both eggs and rabbits are age-old fertility symbols. The Passover Seder service uses a hard-cooked egg flavored with salt water as a symbol both of new life and the Temple service in Jerusalem. The Jewish tradition may have come from earlier Roman Spring feasts. The ancient Persians also painted eggs for Nowrooz, their New Year celebration falling on the Spring Equinox. This tradition has continued every year on Nowrooz since ancient times.

In Christian times the egg had bestowed upon it a religious interpretation, becoming a symbol of the rock tomb out of which Christ emerged to the new life of His resurrection. Over the years it progressed that the egg, representing spring and fertility, would be merged into an already pagan springtime festival. Connecting this symbol to Christ’s Resurrection in the spring required much creativity and human reasoning.

Easter egg origin stories abound—one has an emperor claiming that the Resurrection was as likely as eggs turning red (see Mary Magdalene)[citation needed]; more prosaically the Easter egg tradition may have celebrated the end of the privations of Lent. In the West, eggs were forbidden during Lent as well as other traditional fast days. Likewise, in Eastern Christianity, both meat and dairy are prohibited during the fast, and eggs are seen as "dairy" (a foodstuff that could be taken from an animal without shedding its blood).

More info on Easter eggs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_eggs_(decorative)

Back