[poll] Videogames ftl again (Virginia Tech)

Boojala

Oh man we are in for some troubled waters again people. News got out that he was an avid cs:s player. This morning when I woke up I was told to stop playing or I would be reported to my school and the news paper (paranoia). I believe that it was more than his enjoyment of fps was only part of the correlation. There were so many warning signs before the shooting and it was those around him and their inaction that allowed this tragedy to take place. In the future look at your fellow gamers and the warning signs. The possibility that these tragedies will surface from communities such as ours is of course higher than those who play "pretty pony adventure". In a decaying mind such as his the bounds between fantasy and reality were sundered. Look for friends who are in the same position.

Has a lawsuit ever been successful against video game manufacturers in these situations? I don't see how that's even possibe... there wasn't even enough evidence in the 'depression pills' lawsuit to win that case, and drugs have a solidly proven effect on a person's body.

I don't think any video game company has been successfully sued for encouraging people to be violent to the point of killing thirty-odd people.

AFAIK the killer was already a very depressed and disturbed person, his English professor had recommended him for counseling and (I'm not 100% sure on this) he was in a mental institution for a short time.

It took about 24 hours for Sen. Jack Johnson made the video game connection.

However, the fact is that this is not the time for this discussion.

Actually, Jack Johnson said that video games were probably the reason behind the shootings. When in fact, there were no video games of any kind found in the shooter's room. It was rumored that he played CS in high school years ago.

lol i made the poll in a fit of fury when i was givent he ultimatum to stop playing or have my computer removed (btw im 18 live with an 80 year old nun njk)

yeah im not worried at all. The only way i can see a video game getting sued is if it was called "school shootout shenanigans" or "kill you classmates". other than that, video games are safe...

[quote1177060593=Duggles]
I don't think any video game company has been successfully sued for encouraging people to be violent to the point of killing thirty-odd people.

AFAIK the killer was already a very depressed and disturbed person, his English professor had recommended him for counseling and (I'm not 100% sure on this) he was in a mental institution for a short time.

[/quote1177060593]
Yes, in 2005.

as long hillary clinton doesnt get in on it were okay lol and im doing research topic on this sorta thing, where "violent video games affect or dont affect childern and so on....." yeah its not fun to do

Violent games have no proven link in causing the columbine or VT shootings and any other those ppl already had problems and video games will (probably) never cause ppl to shoot other ppl or right now thered be gun fights in front of my house.
senator jack johnson has no right in saying that since there is no proven research on the link between games and violence.

I still think They just needed something to blame for the shooting so they jumped to the closest possible thing. Nothing much you can do against a game Manufacturer for something like this. And i had heard he played the Half Life series.

btw remember there has only been one succesful lawsuit involving the "hot coffee" san andreas scandal. What we need to worry about now is gamer discrimination

Ok, lets see, it all comes down to:

Did you shooter CHOOSE to play the game?
Did the shooter CHOOSE to BUY and PLAY the game?
Valve DID NOT make him buy and play the game.

Back