Memoirs of an MGer

Axx0n N

Rookie
Hi guys!

I've been thinking a lot about my favorite weapon, the MG, and about what its like to play it in DoD. This may sound like a rant, but I hope it serves the pseudo-educational, humorous purpose I intend for it. PLEASE don't take this as me bitching (excuse language). Also, I'm not speaking for Outlaw Programmer or any other dedicated MGers here (and I would value their input!).

I've been almost exclusively an MGer for about a year now, and, as I'm sure any fellow MG fanatic can attest, there are some wonderful, and some horrible, things about the weapon, and how it generally changes your gameplay (whether your are behind the MG, or infront of it!). I've come to think of the MG as the backbone, largely defensive, of a DoD team of over 10 people. I don't think many people share this opinion, however, nor do I think they understand some basics about the class. In light of this, here are some things I see other players do that really grind my beef when I'm MGing:

1) I love ammo, and I love it when people give it to me. I will thank you every time you do it if I'm not sending 17lbs of lead in the general direction of the enemy. However, please don't stand in front of me when giving me the ammo--not only do you block the sun from giving me a healthy bronze, you block my line of fire.

2) Just because I am prone, does not mean you should jump on top of me and go prone as well. Any MGer can tell you, the location of an MG is one of the most heavily naded areas on the map. I don't need 145lbs of Kraut or Yank sniper keeping me from standing up and running away! Do you sit on people in the subway if they have a nice seat? I thought not!

3) I love to hear where I am needed, but I don't like to be yelled at. "Get your #*^ !&#^$ up here" doesn't help. "Need MG in field" does.

4) If an MGer has a 4-1 ratio or better, don't question his positioning. He is probably doing something right that you are not seeing.

5) I know people love smoke nades. I hate them.I know sometimes it is necessary to smoke nade around a friendly MGer, but try not to drop them in my pocket.

6) MGers are by definition campers. This does not mean we are lazy, or bad players. There is an art to being a good camper, and an art to killing campers. It's all part of the game.

Again, sorry for the rant. I am pretty much preaching to the converted here, I know, but, as one of few pretty much dedicated MGers, I had some things to get of my chest, and also wanted to start a convo about the most Badass class in DoD!!!

yea, i've also been thinking about my favorite gun. And i'd have to say the sniper. everything about it is great to me, at first though i HATED the sniper. Mostly, because i was no good at it, but one day i said to myself i'd practice it,and here i am 100 accuracy, 81 headshots, and great at no-scoping. All i can say is the sniper is the best all-around weapon. Wheather for long range or short, if you're good enogh you'll PWN. PRIDE IS 4EVER!!!

So what was the point of this thread again?
if someone is nagging about you camping ignore them, or tell an admin if its bad
if someone is blocking your LOS then ask them to move cause its rarely (that i know of) gonna be an eGO or eG or e, its usually people who arent regulars
so putting this thread up was (in my opinion) not needed since most of us have mg'ed and know what to do or not to do by an mg'er by trial and error
like i said rarely is it someone from eGO but it sometimes can be if we dont see the mg or know where its set up (if its once or twice its usually by mistake/accident)
by the way if someone does yell "get the (bleep) over here" tell an admin

yeah watch the laguage aka put nagging instead of what you put

I'm not exclusively an MGer but I love playing with it whenever possible and you really do have to know the maps well and anticipate where the enemy is going to go in order to do any good. Alot of people don't realize how much practice it takes to really be good with an MG, and by that I mean positioning because finding a good spot that has maximum shots on the enemy while also exposing yourself as little as possible can be really tough sometimes.

[quote1177833562=Axx0n N]
Do you sit on people in the subway if they have a nice seat? I thought not!
[/quote1177833562]
I do....o_O

My fav weapon is the Sniper....I used to be bad at every weapon....until I tried Sniper...only weapon I like using and killing with...but if the enemy is Dye, BigBird, Proteos, Def, or anyone from our clan....I hate the weapon :)
My best kdr is with MG, and if sniper or rocket isn't free, I take mg.

"4) If an MGer has a 4-1 ratio or better, don't question his positioning. He is probably doing something right that you are not seeing."

My KDR is 10.2 right now (if the stats are to be believed).

Sometimes you get grief from the admins here. I got kicked yesterday because I crossed words with an admin that thought I'd been camping 1st the whole round. Totally bogus if you ask me...

Well, do not question an admin. And if you do, send it though a pm in a respectful way.

Anyways, the mg to me is an auto sniper lol. I think its the cheapest weapon in the game, i believe i went 74-8 with it at one point haha. Once you get a good set up, all you have to do is wait and watch. be smart about what you are doing, and play it like you were a sniper, take the guys out you know are looking for you first before any others, and you will prevale

"Well, do not question an admin. And if you do, send it though a pm in a respectful way."

I didn't question him, he was ragging on me and I said "whatever", and he kicked me. That's just pure bull crap.

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely

The statement was made by Lord Acton, a British historian of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Some handle it ( power ) better than others...
Just a thought
Martin/Coldsaw

Nice Post, very nicely put!! It's tough to get out of the way of a yanks nade when some kraut is lying on top of you at the botom of the stairs in the tank house!!

!amazed

lol jman, mg eh not much of an MGer, more of a sniper, feeling the adrenline pumpin through my veins as i get a runnin head shot

thats so true i love the mg and when stuff like that happens it just ticks me off and also if someone set up dont set up right next to them just because you like the spot their in

you make a good point axxon, MGers are very useful, even though most of them stay in one spot, but sometimes that one spot is a hot spot

The mg is very useful ill agree with that but mgs are to take out troops like assault and support(sometimes rocket) snipers are usually used for killing other snipers, mgs, or rockets. Either weapon has its own use and are both reliable

i understand camping by first and second if your team is losing but if u got mid and the other teams second sometimes mgers should move up to help the teammates not loose the flag and outlaw u don't do that.

[quote1177898154=JMAN ]
to be honest... i didn't read past the first pargraph too long should i go back and read?
[/quote1177898154]

That's the problem we have in the forums on almost any subject. If the post is beyond one paragraph or even three lines, very few bother to read the rest.

[quote1177904277=Outlaw Programmer]
"4) If an MGer has a 4-1 ratio or better, don't question his positioning. He is probably doing something right that you are not seeing."

My KDR is 10.2 right now (if the stats are to be believed).

Sometimes you get grief from the admins here. I got kicked yesterday because I crossed words with an admin that thought I'd been camping 1st the whole round. Totally bogus if you ask me...

[/quote1177904277]

I know who did it and if you would have responded to me in the way you did to him i would have perma banned you. It is in your best interst to follow the admins instruction. If you feel you have been wronged contact me and i will pull the logs. BTW i really dis like when someone is not truthful.

Back