Battlefield 1 - anyone else a little disappointed?

Not to really talk badly about a game that hasn't even been released, but was anyone else a little disappointed that DICE chose WWI as the setting for the new Battlefield?
Don't get me wrong, the reveal definitely looked cool... but I can't help but feel let down a little bit because WW2 or 2143 would have been awesome - either of which would have gone back to the series' roots, and capitalized on games that were successful and extremely fun. I know I had a lot of great memories on both. And I think it's great that DICE is trying something risky by making a WWI game, rather than going with the same-old same-old, guaranteed to sell modern shooters... But I still can't help but feel a little let down. Battlefield and WWI makes me think of Call of Duty, where everyone runs around like chickens with their heads cut off in trenches, with no semblance of teamwork, whilst Tanks and Snipers sit back to farm kills - mind you, anti tank technology (In terms of long range AT weaponry) was rather limited at that time to say the least; And I think artillery will play a pivotal role in this game to that effect - which can be a good thing or a bad thing. These are contrary to an organized push, with Armor leading the way for the Infantry to mop up said trenches, Planes will scout, and bomb dug in enemy Machine guns, or take out enemy tanks, whilst the Commanders attempt to soften up the enemy assault or defenders with mustard gas and artillery. It also kind of reminds me of Hardline, which is (IMO) a reskinned Battlefield 4 - where we may just have wide open maps, with reskinned soldiers and vehicles on same old Conquest.. Sounds kind of dull. But only time will tell, and I'm not here to judge a game before release - I'm merely speculating. But regardless, I'm a little disappointed with the setting.
And for me, it begs the question, how will this game be different from a game like Verdun? Either way, I hope that DICE will give us something better than Battlefront. You can show me pretty graphics and scripted sequences - but that doesn't make the game.
But until I see more - I'm just not sold on this game, unfortunately.
I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on this, though!

Last edited:
I'm neither upset nor excited about this, but welcome it since there are only a handful of WWI based games out there. I do believe it's going to be much less 'realism' than Verdun, but they will probably throw in scenarios that were faced back then.

I'm thinking they'll focus on planes and 'acquiring' enemy tanks, as well as the U-boat ops. If I know game development, they'll more than likely glaze over the fact that the tanks then weren't that greatly built in the first place, The limited use artillery will probably make it's face known with unlimited uses, and the story will probably revolve around trying to stop the U-boat/chemical campaigns of the time. I'm willing to bet there will be an entire mission revolving around the M1916 (both 75mm and 37mm) entirely too!

Now, if they were smart, they wouldn't have wide open maps like hardline or 4. They should be narrow, yet spacious for ambushes through multi-story windows and alleys. They might even implement weapon issues or, more likely, the slower reload times and poor accuracy rates. I'd be very upset if they didn't add in the improvised weapons like the maces or clubs.

As for game modes, They'll likely be based around major battles such as Arras, Verdun, Serbia, and Somme. One game mode in particular will probably be the hundred day offensive. It's more than likely just going to feel like the original Call of Duty games, or hell, even the BF1942 series.

Like stated before, I'm swayed to neither side yet, but I welcome things that aren't trying to just fill the modern CoD mold. I also enjoy the WWI/WWII shooters that are closer to the realism side, but just basing the game on the era works for me too most of the time!

For me, it's just not really exciting - I'm not sure what it is. For me, it's really hard to imagine Battlefield and WWI. They pulled it off with WW2, but I don't think most people realize how much technology has progressed since then - no defibs, bolt action weaponry, very few man portable automatic weapons, etc..
And I would hope that they would try to pull off some of the Trench warfare - and I'm sure they'll do a "King of the hill/Capture the enemy trench" gamemode or something to that effect - But I agree, they'll do the major battles. The thing that bothers me though - Is the fact that there will most likely be the Automatic weapons unlocked for max/high level players - Which makes me wonder how they'll balance it, because anyone with an automatic weapon could smoke a newer person with a bolt action rifle - All it takes is your first shot to miss - all you have is one shot... And he has quite a few. You get the idea. They may find a suitable way to balance this though, we'll see.. The other thing that bugs me is the probability of constant artillery spam with mustard gas or good old artillery. (Kinda reminds me of the Imperial Guard in Warhammer... I'm a huge Warhammer nerd.)
Either way, I'm not expecting much in terms of a story, but they might do something good this year. I personally loved the old CoD United Offensive missions with the British commandoes in gliders, etc - which is why I think WW2 would have made an awesome singleplayer, as well as multiplayer because it would be so much easier to balance in terms of weapons, as well as easy to make a story and such, whilst going back to Battlefield's roots.
The one thing that really really turned me off is the fact that they're following the same business practices that they did with Battlefront - As in you pay $20 more for a Deluxe Edition, $70 total but you don't get a season pass. No! You have to pay ANOTHER $60 for that. But if you pay the additional $20, you get some guns... And we all know how Battlefront turned out - with EA staff themselves saying it was boring and skill-less. Not to judge a game by its trailer - but I'm starting to get very weary with EA now. I rarely purchase an EA title unless it's been proven by the test of time. But either way - if I see more and like it, maybe I'll buy it... I'm just very weary with EA, whom is constantly pushing boundaries.
I still can't help but feel that a 2143 game would have made more sense, and would have been awesome.
Sure, people could compare it to something like Titanfall with the Combat Walkers - But I think 2142 inspired Titanfall in some ways, and I can't see 2142 as being anything but unique, personally. The 2142 story itself is just waiting to be explored, and there are many battles that could be recreated in the 2142 lore that were extremely epic, kind of like the "Titan Graveyard." This could be made into a great storyline following an EU Soldier and his experiences throughout the resource war with the Pan-Asian Coalition; Just fighting to survive, and to resist the PAC invasion, etc...
I'm sure people are tired of futuristic shooters, though and I understand that. And I can see DICE saying "COD is coming out with another reskinned futuristic space shooter this year - let's do something different." Which is cool too. We'll see. But for now, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed. I hope I can eat my words later on.

I quite literally facepalmed when they announced it as "Battlefield 1". What does that make the original game, Battlefield 0.5?

yea I prob won't be buying it, because COd came out with world at war, played one game and returned it.

Game hasn't been released too early judge. But I for one am glad, there won't be weapons that feels OP

I quite literally facepalmed when they announced it as "Battlefield 1". What does that make the original game, Battlefield 0.5?

I mean, the first Battlefield game was Battlefield 1942 and not what you say "Battlefield 1". Each game has it's own number/name.

I'm not disappointed at all!

I'm looking forward to the gameplay. No more advanced warfare tactics, only pure skill involved.

Will be easy to catch the cheaters as well.

WOOT FOR BATTLEFIELD 1!!

While other games like CoD are trying to follow the same type of gameplay, Battlefield continues to innovate.

I'm curious. The thing I just don't understand is how do you make a game fun when it's source material is a bloody stalemate?

And I'm still holding on to hope for a BF2143. 2142 was the most underrated in the series by far.

Will still be better than COD

Battlefield VS CoD is not a really comparable argument I feel, and has not been for the past many games. They are very different style of gameplay. The CoD series is very burnt out anyway.

I for one feel this might interest me. I enjoy DoD:S a lot, but wouldn't mind playing something with a refresh to World War perspective.

The name does seem misleading but let's see if they make changes - it's VERY early to judge this game.

I am i have played battlefield when it first started i am little disappointed i assume it would be something like cod blackops 3 or better but world war 1? sound like we could have gone to civil war era
i just don't understand dice decision on that i give a 50/50 it won't be well received i know players want a better deal after all spending $79.00 for premium (for battlefield 1) it had better be stellar for that price or i am not buying it.. i will wait and see the early adapter's who have spent $$$ that and see what really happens.(history: we all know what happen to BF4 when it came out Cliches and bad game play with tons of issues....)

i might buy the Division for the price instead of battlefield 1 is selling for $79.99(when its go on sale in oct 2016)

Last edited:
I agree the name is lame. It should be BF1916. This is after all the countries of Europe had taken a side but before the US joined and Russia collapsed. The 1917 could be a add on for $$, which is the new model.

I'm hoping the game is done in a dystopian steam punk style with somethings along the lines of "Sucker Puch". Maybe with a couple of hat tips to Black Adder and other British satirical comedies about WWI?

Also, if this goes over well a WWII version can't be far off! Am I right?

Just not sure how they're going to make WW1 cool enough to play.

Well in the original DOD we would always go Bolt and Pistol only on German British maps and it was a blast!

I first will see the release and how the gameplay is on the internet and read some general revieuws before buying, This because i'm not sure what the game will be like. From what i've heard untill now it will be a pretty awesome game, But time will learn :)

I would love it if they remake battlefield Vietnam though... Played that games for hours and hours at the time, I quitted playing it like 1/1,5 years ago when almost all servers died.

It was called Battlefield 1942.

I'm not disappointed at all!

I'm looking forward to the gameplay. No more advanced warfare tactics, only pure skill involved.

Will be easy to catch the cheaters as well.

WOOT FOR BATTLEFIELD 1!!

While other games like CoD are trying to follow the same type of gameplay, Battlefield continues to innovate.

Also stand by my statement, I don't understand the negativity.

I warned everyone it would be around the WW1 era, no one believed me.

I'm pretty disappointed. I won't lie. I just don't see a way how they can make WW1 a fun era to play with. I was never a fan of it either. Since the war was a stalemate more or less. I was really convinced they were going to make 2143. Many things pointed too it from an Easter egg in Battlefield 3 all the way too Final Stand. They had the assets made, it just made sense to me.

This is exactly my thoughts on the game.

f2242743b97f61442b2a80c824e4dc0474bcafacbe2e377599689cdd5338c999.jpg

Back