New Hardware New Desktop

Cascsiany

Dust 2 Devotee
Manager
Looking to buy a new desktop and need some recommendations. Don't have any preferences between Intel or AMD. Mostly play CSS but do play some other newer games. Looking to spend up to $1000 for just the tower, don't need any peripherals. Will be using it to connect to a 3d printer.

Last edited:
I would say wait, there's the 4000 generation for AMD Ryzen. the $120 3300x being released soon is being benchmarked to be equal to the i7 7770k

The GPU market for $1000 builds is really either a 2070 Super or 5700 XT.

For motherboards if you go for a Ryzen (Why wouldn't you Intel is failing right now tbh) wait for a b550 chipset, its being released soon(tm).

Case is up to you, Phanteks, Lian-Li, Be QUIET!, Fractal are great brands.

Get any 16 GB Dual Channel 3200-3600 MHz DDR4 Set.

A reputable 600-750 W PSU.

First of all, Building a pc is better than buying one. You get more performance for your buck if you know what your doing.

If you don't want to build one, which is fine. Here are some options.

NZXTbld starter plus PC - $1000 usd
View attachment 22895

Custom pc build - $997 usd
View attachment 22896

^ don't use that, just a example of what you can get for building your own pc. (Could get you over 25% performance then just going out and buying a prebuilt.)

Also i reccomend what Matrix said.
I would say wait, there's the 4000 generation for AMD Ryzen. the $120 3300x being released soon is being benchmarked to be equal to the i7 7770k

Last edited:
First of all, Building a pc is better than buying one. You get more performance for your buck if you know what your doing.

If you don't want to build one, which is fine. Here are some options.

NZXTbld starter plus PC - $1000 usd
View attachment 22895

Custom pc build - $997 usd
View attachment 22896

^ don't use that, just a example of what you can get for building your own pc. (Could get you over 25% performance then just going out and buying a prebuilt.)

Also i reccomend what Matrix said.

$55 is extremely high for a 256 gb SSD, you can usually cop a 512 in that price. This is an m.2 And this is a SATA

Also this Coronavirus thing is probably gonna cause an increase in prices as shown in trends here. Not by much but there is a small uptick
A 5700 XT beats or is on-par with a 2070 while being $50-80 cheaper.

Last edited:
So after seeing this thread, I originally wasnt gonna consider replacing my case (current one is Cooler Master HAF 912), but I love the features of the case here: https://www.newegg.com/black-phanteks-eclipse-p400s-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811854051

However, I am open to other ideas as well. What I really love about the Phanteks case is the options for the drives, especially having the ssd's on the back side & apparently I can remove one of those plates. I do also love the fact that the case comes with usb 3.0 ports on the front (mine only came with 2.0 & had to buy a 3.0 extender to make it easier to access the ports).

So after seeing this thread, I originally wasnt gonna consider replacing my case (current one is Cooler Master HAF 912), but I love the features of the case here: https://www.newegg.com/black-phanteks-eclipse-p400s-tempered-glass-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811854051

However, I am open to other ideas as well. What I really love about the Phanteks case is the options for the drives, especially having the ssd's on the back side & apparently I can remove one of those plates. I do also love the fact that the case comes with usb 3.0 ports on the front (mine only came with 2.0 & had to buy a 3.0 extender to make it easier to access the ports).

If you haven't bought the case yet, you have to consider airflow. I'm using it right now and it really chokes the inside as there really isn't any airtake space.
Either buy the Phanteks Enthoo Pro which is the version up from this one. Or invest $20 in case fans that are good.

I got a Phanteks case when I made my current PC. It's very well-designed, even including a fan hub controller which helps alleviate the wiring. And there is room on the back side of the motherboard tray for SSDs as you have mentioned. Fans work very well; barely even hear it running thanks to its large fans (bigger fan, slower speed). It definitely has my vote as it is a good combination of features and pricce.

I got a Phanteks case when I made my current PC. It's very well-designed, even including a fan hub controller which helps alleviate the wiring. And there is room on the back side of the motherboard tray for SSDs as you have mentioned. Fans work very well; barely even hear it running thanks to its large fans (bigger fan, slower speed). It definitely has my vote as it is a good combination of features and pricce.

I have the same case as well, and I am loving it. If you have any doubts, Linus Sebastian, of LTT, just upgraded all their editor rigs, and used the exact phanteks case. It's definitly worth the look.

For those home office and general-purpose users with limited space, small form or all-in-one desktop computers cost from $1,100 to $2,100. An all-in-one desktop unit hides the processor, memory and hard drive either in the base or behind the integrated flat-screen monitor.

Looking to buy a new desktop and need some recommendations. Don't have any preferences between Intel or AMD. Mostly play CSS but do play some other newer games. Looking to spend up to $1000 for just the tower, don't need any peripherals. Will be using it to connect to a 3d printer.

If you need help with pc i recommend talking with Simon Simon he's a smart man when it comes to this

Haven't bought anything yet, waiting to see if the Ryzen 4000 is released soon but this is what I'm currently looking at: https://newegg.io/ac276e0 . Any suggestions?
You don't need the cooler (3900x comes with a better cooler then you were buying) or a copy of Windows 10 really. If you skip the win 10 key, you can pick up a 2070 Super instead of the 5700 if you're so inclined. https://newegg.io/1f79ab6
The rest of the build looks good, though it's your choice between team red or green for GPU.

M4A1-S M4A1-S Thanks for your suggestions. I ordered the parts tonight. I went with the 5700 and ditched the cooler. I'll post pictures once it's built.

20200922_183401.jpg

Need some help. After connecting to a monitor, there is no display. I have disconnected all the cables and reconnected. Removed and reseated the RAM. Removed and reseated the video card. Tried plugging in the HMDI cable into the motherboard and the video card. Tried 1 RAM at a time. Cleared the CMOS. The PSC isn't showing any errors but I don't have speakers connected to listen for any beeps. Any suggestions on what else I can try?

Need some help. After connecting to a monitor, there is no display. I have disconnected all the cables and reconnected. Removed and reseated the RAM. Removed and reseated the video card. Tried plugging in the HMDI cable into the motherboard and the video card. Tried 1 RAM at a time. Cleared the CMOS. The PSC isn't showing any errors but I don't have speakers connected to listen for any beeps. Any suggestions on what else I can try?
Try reseating the CPU. Also if the motherboard has debug leds, do lookup what the issue is.

Motherboard should also have come with a speaker that attaches to it for beeps. Most do anyways, unless somethings changed in recent years.

Does the monitor show a no display input message? Is it known to be good? Are fans spinning? If you're getting no output from the GPU or Motherboard it sounds like a power or monitor issue to me. On their own the motherboard or gpu would both put something out, even if it's just a blank screen saying something is wrong from the GPU. Unless it's a ryzen build then the hdmi connector on your motherboard is useless.

Back