What was/is your dream job and did you achieve it?

It is either aero or astronautical engineer, but I need to pick up my work ethic for that. If not, either the CS (CompSci not the game) Field or something with EMS since I wanted to be a paramedic when I was younger.

Dream job?

Does being a pimp count???

(just kidding)

Dream job.. I think that changes are you get older.

But I've probably had it... for me anyways.

I've always loved computers and working with them. My undergrad is in Computer Science and my masters is in Software Engineering.

I've gotten really lucky with my employment. Almost a "dream job". I work for a private company.. that is big. I've been there 20+ years. When I started, it was "mom and pop". Now, we have offices/branches world wide.

I was at the "ground floor" for that growth. Doing everything from spending years designing and creating extremely interactive websites.. to database programing.. to specializing in N-Tier software (server-to-server type stuff)

Spent over a decade (same company) writing software that communicates with aircraft WHILE in flight...commercial AND military. Probably the coolest one was NASA partnering with us to communicate with the avionics on the space shuttle. Which I single handedly did myself :)

Been to different parts of the U.S on business trips to meet clients.. had clients come visit us and ask for me by name, just to say Hi.

Not bad. See, most developers get "shoe-horned" into one little thing.. one little area. I got to do it all. I get to meet with heads of different departments and even clients themselves.. spend time figuring out exactly what they want... then I get to do it. "ME".

Sometimes the project would be to large (i.e time consuming) so I've had to pull in other people and delegate/supervise.. but then, that's yet another role I gotten to do.

-----

Now.. I'm in my 50's. Just turned 52 a few weeks ago. I know.. old fart compared to most of ya. For you "young ones".. your viewpoint on life WILL change.

I'll NEVER forget something that happened 8 or 10 years ago. Each year, the wife and I usually spend a week+ down in the Cancun area. We both scuba dive.

One of the dives we went on, the head dive master (the guy in charge) was an American. From New York City. He was an E.R doctor for a hospital.. you know, like the ones they have on T.V. One year, he went on vacation/diving in Cancun.. just like I was doing... and decided to stay. He said it was the best decision of his life. Gets paid to scuba dive. He teaches it.. takes "tour groups" out.. NO stress. Just enjoying life.

I've never forgotten that. Now, I'm sure there is more to his story..but still, to do that.

Financial security goes a LOOONG way. It really does. But.. at some point in your life, you start to slow down. You start to WANT to slow down.

So my dream job now? Yea.. would still be that pimp daddy.

View attachment 23053

old fart? pfft your young hopefully you can be a pimp one day

Back