Tech Help Internet?

Grumpy Kitten

Neko I guess
=(eGO)=
Recently my house upgraded to 5G I think its called. And I am looking for a USB wifi thing that can handle 5G, mine is 3G. I am brain dead when it comes to technology. Right now I have a Panda Wireless 300MBS.

So when it comes to 5G signal, your wifi router should automatically be able to pick it up. However, if your router is really that old, then you should consider upgrading it to where it can send both 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz signals. However, keep in mind that 5 Ghz signal isn't exactly all that in terms of strength. You're better off just staying with the old school 2.4 Ghz signal since its stronger and more proven to keep you connected. Once you've upgraded your main wifi router, then you can look into upgrading your usb-based wifi adapter.

When you're ready to upgrade your usb wifi adapter, feel free to take a look at some of these: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100158094 600014307 600014288&Order=RATING

Um,

5G = 5th Generation (Data plan for your phone)
5Ghz = 5 Gigahertz (WiFi)

Your phone probably can do upto 3rd Generation Data Transmissions but can still handle 2.4 Gigahertz WIFI.

When you buy a USB Wifi adapter I HIGHLY RECOMMEND either a PCIE card($20) or Powerline Adapters ($40) if you want to game but if you have a low budget try to get a USB adapter with Wifi AC and external antennas

Also if you get 5Ghz, it means there are more "waves" which is good for data transmission if you are sitting near the router without any obstacles, 2.4 Ghz has less "waves" which is better for longer transmissions with obstacles in the path.

If you go with anything without a name brand its probably just one model being sold under different names
https://prnt.sc/smnood

Last edited:
Hey Grumpy Kitten, to get a better idea of this post and what you need, what is the model of your Wifi Router?

Also, approximately how far away is your computer from the router? Are there a lot of walls in between?

I'd rather get these kind of answers sorted out before chucking products at you that may or may not help.
Matrix Matrix it's worth noting powerline adapters are VERY hit and miss for people - they either work great or they don't help a damn thing. Age of home, wiring type and quality make a difference there. Actually most people these days head for MOCA (Ethernet to coax) over it, much better reliability and transmission.

Hey Grumpy Kitten, to get a better idea of this post and what you need, what is the model of your Wifi Router?

Also, approximately how far away is your computer from the router? Are there a lot of walls in between?

I'd rather get these kind of answers sorted out before chucking products at you that may or may not help.
Matrix Matrix it's worth noting powerline adapters are VERY hit and miss for people - they either work great or they don't help a damn thing. Age of home, wiring type and quality make a difference there. Actually most people these days head for MOCA (Ethernet to coax) over it, much better reliability and transmission.

Powerline is decent if your house was built in the 1900s excluding the 60-70s and if its on one circuit breaker. MOCA is what I used for a minute and it was amazing for speed and not dropping connection but I haven't seen many people who have Coax ports built in their house.

I don’t know specifics at the moment Simon Simon . However I can check when I get home. I live in the attic so upstairs and a couple walls. Would the 2.4Ghz be better than the 5?

I don’t know specifics at the moment Simon Simon . However I can check when I get home. I live in the attic so upstairs and a couple walls. Would the 2.4Ghz be better than the 5?

The frequency really depends on how far away you are, 5 Ghz has more but smaller waves and 2.4 Ghz has less but wider waves. If you are close to your router stick with 5 Ghz if you're far away stick with 2.4 Ghz. But even then you have to worry about other interference such as phones (landline mainly) or microwaves which also run on 2.4 Ghz.

Its really all dependent on your situation and there is no clear answer without knowing specifics

Last edited:

Most modern routers and wireless points do both - and will switch to whatever is best for you on it's own, so long as the network names are both the same. It would likely land on the 2.4Ghz spectrum by the sounds of it. However, again - any modern wireless card/usb/dongle will do both, and pick the one with the strongest signal.
Matrix Matrix up here, everyone has coax all over every home! Especially anything built 1980-onward really. Weird differences in region I suppose.

Most modern routers and wireless points do both - and will switch to whatever is best for you on it's own, so long as the network names are both the same. It would likely land on the 2.4Ghz spectrum by the sounds of it. However, again - any modern wireless card/usb/dongle will do both, and pick the one with the strongest signal.
Matrix Matrix up here, everyone has coax all over every home! Especially anything built 1980-onward really. Weird differences in region I suppose.

Almost certain its because all the houses/lowrises here are made between 1890-1930s era

Back