Remove time limit on editing posts.

Luna

CM - Admin Dev
Community Manager
Currently you can only edit a post for the first 60 minutes after making it. I propose that this limit is removed and posts can be edited indefinitely as they were able to be on the old forums.

EDIT: This appears to have been implemented!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I don’t really understand why I shouldn’t be able to edit my own posts always. : 0 no harm in it

I asked Covert Covert about this the other day. Currently, the reason they haven't done this yet is that if they were to give permissions to everyone to edit posts, it would also give them permission to delete posts. It sounded like tech might be coming up with a way for these 2 elements to be separated but until then we just have to settle for this

I asked Covert Covert about this the other day. Currently, the reason they haven't done this yet is that if they were to give permissions to everyone to edit posts, it would also give them permission to delete posts. It sounded like tech might be coming up with a way for these 2 elements to be separated but until then we just have to settle for this
I don’t see how someone being able to delete their own posts is a bad thing, this was something you could do on the old forums as well.

I don’t see how someone being able to delete their own posts is a bad thing, this was something you could do on the old forums as well.
I'm not exactly sure either. I think it was because I asked for this specific permission for myself, maybe they have another reason for them not wanting delete perms however

yeah. people may be able to post and delete things but it’s like the same thing. if they can edit it they can edit it to say something good when it said something bad. and I’m sure there are logs that they can see what was edited or deleted so i do not see the issue either but if there is one id like to hear it just to be aware

Covert Covert
The time limit can be customized, as can the ability to edit / delete posts. Setting the time limit to something other than 60 will effect the time limit for both editing and deleting, but delete is only available if the 'Delete own post' permission is allowed.

1596237277300.png

In reference to the suggestion, I see no reason why the time limit should not be set to unlimited

The issue is the ability to edit and delete within a certain amount of time are linked together. If XenForo separates those permissions down the road, we can come back to this suggestion.

The issue is the ability to edit and delete within a certain amount of time are linked together. If XenForo separates those permissions down the road, we can come back to this suggestion.
We had this functionality, deleting posts, on the old forums though.

If we really need to, as J Jon posted it appears the ability to delete can be disabled altogether.

The old forums are the old forums. Gone forever.

Can you give me an example of why a user would need the ability to delete a post after 60 minutes?

Can you give me an example of why a user would need the ability to delete a post after 60 minutes?
sometimes for an event post i realize i have made a mistake , maybe on the date , the time, or if i get a co host or the host changes i need to go back and update the information. it’s just super frustrating when you realize you made a mistake cause you’re stoopid and can’t fix it

People sometimes post things they later regret. While I admit I can't say for certain, I doubt this will be abused in any way, as I don't think it was abused previously. I truly don't see the harm in allowing people to edit/delete their posts after 60 minutes. I understand the old forums are gone forever, I'm not trying to turn this into a "the old forums had this, why don't we have this anymore" type of thread, I just don't see the reason in not restoring a function that we used to have.

Back