Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Trying to collect community opinions on surf maps in order to make the perfect surf map

platypushunter

Poop Dealer
=(eGO)=
As the title implies I'm trying to collect some opinions on surf maps in order to create the worlds most perfect surf map. Surfing by surfers for surfers! You can tell me about some maps you enjoy or aspects of them, or general things you enjoy when a map has them...

Some things you could describe might be:
  • Ramps with the tops cut off
  • Bright vs Dark themes
  • Neon colors
  • Open map vs more closed off (think kitsune vs summer)
  • on staged maps, do you prefer each stage to force you to stop before you continue the next stage, or do you like to keep your speed(like kitsune vs meme)
  • Do you like curved ramps?
  • What is the hardest trick for you to do( for me its going from a low ramp to a much higher ramp)
  • Some maps you may enjoy, or maps you hate, and describe why if possible (sometimes its hard to quantify why a map is good or not, but if you could describe it, please do)

You can, of course, tell me whatever you want, those are just some ideas that come to mind. Try to be as descriptive as possible, but if you cant quite come up with the words, that's OK, just try your best to give me the idea of whats in your head.

Last edited:
definitely am a fan of the flowing staged maps where each stage leads into the next

gotta have buttery smooth ramps

i'm good with bhop platforms integrated into the middle of maps/stages as long as the bhop is intuitive to the run

simplicity.

not necessarily in the surf-course itself, but in textures. Being confused what a ramp is, because the brown-ish green textures of the ramp are blending in perfectly with the giant rainforest you're surfing in, isn't a great experience.

kitsune is probably one of my favorite maps (kitsune2, not the first one). i love the colorcoded stages, and again, the overall simplicity of the textures makes it very enjoyable.

• on staged maps, do you prefer each stage to force you to stop before you continue the next stage, or do you like to keep your speed(like kitsune vs meme)
    • i dont personally mind either of them since im not a speedrunner, but i think the consensus on the server would be continuous speed.
  • Do you like curved ramps?
    • i dont have a particular love for them, but i do think they have to be there.
  • What is the hardest trick for you to do( for me its going from a low ramp to a much higher ramp)
    • drops and being forced to spin in circles; my sensitivity is too low for that shit.

Last edited:
Why are we still replying to this 9 month old thread?

Anyway, if you're planning to add speed boosts, make it obvious where they are.
Also, I like maps with no portals between sections. If portals are needed for optimization or any other reason, make them keep your speed.
And no bhop sections. This is freakin surf. I'm here to surf and not hold space wiggle wiggle.

These are demands, not recommendations.
just kidding do whatever your heart desires :)

Since this is still getting replies here are my opinions:
  • People don't really care about how a map looks unless it is really good (visually impressive) or really bad (interferes with gameplay) playability/fun is always more important than making your map look good (zoomathon is a good example of how to completely **** this up, all style no substance)
  • Ramps with big spines can be frustrating to board, these need to be used carefully or not at all and must be visually clear
  • Neon colors can be pulled off but ramps can't just be a single color or depth is extremely hard to judge and boarding ramps well will feel rng (cubic is the biggest example of this) kitsune/kitsune2 do neon colors particularly well
  • Staged vs staged linear is a stylistic choice, there are good and bad examples of both. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is making staged linears flow well for new and experienced players (ramps that make sense for no starting speed and high starting speed for each stage)
  • Not sure what you mean by curved ramps, if you mean ramps like minuet then they're fine but lazy if spammed (like minuet lol)
  • Hardest trick is unit surf on difficult settings, but the hardest trick for newer players is probably any sort of tech since they'll be so uncomfortable in tight spaces
  • Difficulty in surf mapping can be achieved through 2 main styles, unit surf (requiring ramps to be surfed optimally so the player has enough speed to make a gap or other obstacle) and tech surf (tight spaces, spins, precise flicks, etc)
  • The maps I enjoy are flowy unit maps but this is all subjective and preference, there are plenty of good maps for all styles and what makes them good can't really be generalized or stated consicely

• People don't really care about how a map looks unless it is really good (visually impressive) or really bad (interferes with gameplay) playability/fun is always more important than making your map look good (zoomathon is a good example of how to completely **** this up, all style no substance)
  • Ramps with big spines can be frustrating to board, these need to be used carefully or not at all and must be visually clear
  • Neon colors can be pulled off but ramps can't just be a single color or depth is extremely hard to judge and boarding ramps well will feel rng (cubic is the biggest example of this) kitsune/kitsune2 do neon colors particularly well
  • Staged vs staged linear is a stylistic choice, there are good and bad examples of both. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is making staged linears flow well for new and experienced players (ramps that make sense for no starting speed and high starting speed for each stage)
  • Not sure what you mean by curved ramps, if you mean ramps like minuet then they're fine but lazy if spammed (like minuet lol)
  • Hardest trick is unit surf on difficult settings, but the hardest trick for newer players is probably any sort of tech since they'll be so uncomfortable in tight spaces
  • Difficulty in surf mapping can be achieved through 2 main styles, unit surf (requiring ramps to be surfed optimally so the player has enough speed to make a gap or other obstacle) and tech surf (tight spaces, spins, precise flicks, etc)
  • The maps I enjoy are flowy unit maps but this is all subjective and preference, there are plenty of good maps for all styles and what makes them good can't really be generalized or stated consicely
As i expected, benji just knows surfing so well. Thanks !!

sheeeesh benji you're kinda goated

Back