New NVIDIA cards

I really need to start putting aside a fund for a new computer to build. My GTX970, 4th Gen i5 is just not cutting it anymore and all these new flagship cards make me drool.

I do think though that it's just not worth the upgrade if you already have a 20 series card. I just don't understand why you would need a 30 series card when you already have a 20 series. It's compelling to upgrade if you have anything less, sure, but unless you have a 10 or lower series or are building a new system, then personally, I just think you're dropping money on something you don't yet need, of course though, if you have the money to spend right now, I guess it's worth it

Some people have money to spend to constantly have the latest and greatest

Some people have money to spend to constantly have the latest and greatest

1599076651249.png

The new 3090 is quite insane. Brushing past the fact that it probably won't fit in anything less than an ATX full tower, the benchmarks they pulled were out of this world. From what we saw in the release video they claimed it can handle 4k 60fps ray tracing. Which is insane. My 2070 can't even do 4k 60fps without ray tracing. Is anyone thinking about upgrading :oops:
To me the only reasonable buy from the new NVIDIA 30 series is the 3060. It has comparable performance to the 2080 Ti with a fraction of the price tag. I don't think anyone except a Pixar animator or son of an oil sheikh has a good reason to get the 3070 or 3090 cards, but that's just my opinion. Otherwise, the release of 30 series cards will result in a price drop for the 20 series cards, and I believe upgrading to a higher end 20 series or lower end 30 series is the move for balance between budget and performance.

Yikes. AMD gpus are stuck in 2015 and they're really only focusing on pro-sumer applications now. Guess integrated intel graphics is the way to go then? :LOL:

NVIDIA is a scam. Friendly reminder.
Even though AMD RADEON has a better price to performance ratio when comparing their cards to NVIDIA's, I believe that people who have deep pockets may have a reason to spend more for the same performance: RTX or ray tracing. Even though only 10 odd games support it, it has potential to expand in the future. It's like the difference between a Toyota Corolla, which has all the necessary parts to drive and a good mas mileage, and a Ferrari, which also has the necessary parts to drive but has features that people with more money are willing to spend for.

That is true, but there's more than just performance when it comes to AMD cards. They run hotter, less efficiently, and only a small amount of the time. I used to have an RX 570 and boy, lemme tell you, I'm never going AMD again. That thing was hot trash. Every other driver they pushed made a new game unusable. And the ones that would launch without crashing the drivers would have sporadic performance. Now, I haven't used their newer drivers in a while so I can't vouch for them now, but one good thing about AMD was their GPU application looked very nice. However, it also, did not work most of the time. Relive wouldn't save most of the time and at one point their own software prevented you from overclocking with external software such as afterburner. It wasn't pretty.

That being said, I support them CPU wise all the way. I don't know why their GPU department is lacking so much compared to the CPUs

I feel most people are gonna go with the 3070 and when big navi drops I feel that will also be more popular over the 3080 or 3090.

The new 3090 is quite insane. Brushing past the fact that it probably won't fit in anything less than an ATX full tower, the benchmarks they pulled were out of this world. From what we saw in the release video they claimed it can handle 4k 60fps ray tracing. Which is insane. My 2070 can't even do 4k 60fps without ray tracing. Is anyone thinking about upgrading :oops:
too expensive, 2k dollars in canada. if I get something that powerful/expensive I would be struggling to get any AAA games to run it with.

I remember, it was only just a couple, maybe a few years ago, where 4k60 was out of everyones' reach, now consoles are getting 4k30, PC is just scratching the surface of 4k60, and now real time ray tracing has been thrown into the mix such a noticeable and striking leap in technology over a few years. I cannot wait for the next few.

Back